Whats A Respectable Two Handed Pinch?

Mun

What do most people consider a respectable two handed pinch? im relatively new to the game of grip, just bin over a month, im currently two hand pinching 80lbs at the moment i know its pretty weak, but was just wondering what would be considered good or respectable? Thanks.

What do most people consider a respectable two handed pinch? im relatively new to the game of grip, just bin over a month, im currently two hand pinching 80lbs at the moment i know its pretty weak, but was just wondering what would be considered good or respectable? Thanks.

I think getting around 180# to be a respectable weight. Beyond that the herd starts thinning out pretty good IMO.

180 would be a pretty good lift on a 2HP device. It's hit-and-miss when using 2 45's. Some 45's are thicker and have glossy paint, so even 150 is a very good lift on some setups.

I agree with mobster, set 200# as a goal.

rico

199.959# is number 50 on the list - so aim for 199.960# - that should do it :)

• Like 2

Truth is: whatever you do now, you'll want more. So if you do 180 then 185 becomes the number to aim for. 200+ gets you on the top 50 listings.

• 3 years later...

Truth is: whatever you do now, you'll want more. So if you do 180 then 185 becomes the number to aim for. 200+ gets you on the top 50 listings.

I would say around 100kg is a good weight

Your body weight.

Then again...that would put me 16lbs off the world record, and 7th all time. ;)

• Like 1

Your body weight.

Very true. Doing anything body weight gets really tough once you start to get up there.

Your body weight.

Yeah, BW+ is a good goal...if you can't shift your own carcass!

BW for 10 reps.

Why? Because this would make you a candidate for rafter hangs and chins.

Do rafters have more friction than a 2HP though?

Your body weight.

Very true. Doing anything body weight gets really tough once you start to get up there.

Funny I never hear about your body weight when it works to your advantage :)

• Like 1

Your body weight.

haha. I'm actually trying to cut down my weight a lot. I have been dealing with an ankle injury for a while and the extra weight makes it worse. Bigger guys definitely have an advantage when it comes to absolute weight lifted but weight classes help even that out. Bigger guys also have a tougher time with body weight ratio lifts though. I mean that is something you see in all strength sports. I'm not saying its not possible, its just much harder. There are several guys who can deadlift triple body for example in lower weight classes in powerlifting but Benedikt Magnusson who holds the world deadlift record has done just over 1000 lbs and that isn't triple bodyweight for him since he weighs 377 lbs according to his weight listed on the internet.

I'm not trying to say one feat is more impressive than another, but 1 lb of body weight doesn't necessary equal 1 lb of weight lifted. Height is also a factor. Nate for example is 6'4". Hes going to weigh over 200 lbs skinny at that height.

BW for 10 reps.

Why? Because this would make you a candidate for rafter hangs and chins.

I've been looking at this for several days now. Its a pretty silly answer. Very few people over 150# can do that, and even if you are 135# and get 10 reps, its not really impressive or as the original question asked "respectable".

While I know absolutely "0" about 2HP, I do understand leverages and relationships to BW. There are leverages that relate to BW or weight category, and there are leverages that relate to overall human capability. I'll be happy to expound on them at length, but regardless of "your weight", there are certain metrics that set one apart from the general population in terms of a measure of strength (one of only 7 or 8 ways of measuring human movement).

I'll say this, anyone who measures their strength or power metrics primarily in terms of BW ratios is never going to have much of either.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

Your body weight.

No idea if that was referring strictly to Chez or myself also.

All in all, considering my current weight(253), I'm pretty weak. I can't squat over 260. The last time I attempted a 365 deadlift, I threw my back out. I've never benched more than 210. I fell in love with gripsport because of the grip emphasis. It seems to be something I'm able to compete at despite my heart condition.

In general, I think my handsize (8.5) is much more of an advantage than my weight…certainly with block weights and wide-set grippers. I've put a 100lbs on my Axle this past year, simply by training it. To be frank, I don't own a Euro and haven't trained it but like 3-4 times. Regardless, I think that looking at the NAGS gripsport rankings reveals quite a bit.

At the Mens 120k, Jedd Johnson, Brad Ardrey, Juha Harju and Rob Russell are the top four lifters…and none one of them managed to pull their weight on the Euro. Jedd was the closest, but the others were at minimum 37lbs (and more) off. But when Jedd pulled a world record under his body weight, I don't know any who thought it wasn't a respectable lift.

On a side note, when I started training for ANW in 2011, I dropped down to 195lb (highschool weight). People literally thought I was dying...and not just from the weight loss. I looked horrible. I didn't start looking healthy again until I hit about 220.

All in all, considering my current weight(253), I'm pretty weak.

pcbca.jpg

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 7

Same for me Nate. My absolute lowest weight at my current height was around 175 lbs when I got sick while away at college (I weighed 180-185 in High School). I couldn't get use to the food. I came home during break and people kept asking me if I was ok. I looked like garbage. Everyone carries weight differently. i think my ideal weight is around 230 lbs and I'm going to try and cut down to that.

• Like 1

Your body weight.

No idea if that was referring strictly to Chez or myself also.

All in all, considering my current weight(253), I'm pretty weak. I can't squat over 260. The last time I attempted a 365 deadlift, I threw my back out. I've never benched more than 210. I fell in love with gripsport because of the grip emphasis. It seems to be something I'm able to compete at despite my heart condition.

In general, I think my handsize (8.5) is much more of an advantage than my weight…certainly with block weights and wide-set grippers. I've put a 100lbs on my Axle this past year, simply by training it. To be frank, I don't own a Euro and haven't trained it but like 3-4 times. Regardless, I think that looking at the NAGS gripsport rankings reveals quite a bit.

At the Mens 120k, Jedd Johnson, Brad Ardrey, Juha Harju and Rob Russell are the top four lifters…and none one of them managed to pull their weight on the Euro. Jedd was the closest, but the others were at minimum 37lbs (and more) off. But when Jedd pulled a world record under his body weight, I don't know any who thought it wasn't a respectable lift.

On a side note, when I started training for ANW in 2011, I dropped down to 195lb (highschool weight). People literally thought I was dying...and not just from the weight loss. I looked horrible. I didn't start looking healthy again until I hit about 220.

It was aimed at Chez - a good friend who I hassle about his size when we're around each other. Skinny people get and give crap to guys bigger and usually much stronger than we are. Strength per pound is about the only way we get to win one now and then. So don't take offense when we use the only tool we have against you monsters :)

• Like 5

haha, I got nothing but respect for you Chris. You are super strong and always go above and beyond to help newer guys.

• Like 1

I've been looking at this for several days now. Its a pretty silly answer. Very few people over 150# can do that

Mike, if very few people over 150 can do it, it's a high standard.

I'm sure Kody Burns can do it. He has a good strength/weight ratio because he carries no extra weight. He's at the top of this game.

if you are 135# and get 10 reps, its not really impressive or as the original question asked "respectable".

Even if a man weighs 100lbs and can pull that for 10 reps, he's no slouch. I'd respect that... So yes, it will be respectable, if only to me. But I'm not sure I'd be the only one to think so.

Would you really dismiss a man with the ability to hang from a board with the strength of his hands "not really impressive" just because he weighs less than you?

And get this... Pulling over 200 will be hard for somebody of my BW. But I'm not the one complaining about limitations here.

You mention that anybody who thinks in term of BW ratios is not going to be achieving much.

Consider that by ruling out pulling your own bodyweight is limiting you.

I'll say this, anyone who measures their strength or power metrics primarily in terms of BW ratios is never going to have much of either.

And anybody who only thinks in terms of maximal strength will eventually have a hard time climbing stairs.

There's more ways than one to look at things.

• Like 2