John Brzenk @ Fit X Challenge - $1000.00 Reward

mightyjoe

I always thought this was crazy hard: http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2006/Nov/Brzenk_The_Best_in_Boomtown.html

I thought that I had read where he closed a #2 like that, but I could be wrong.

A #2 isn't all that hard; a few weeks of 3 or more days of towel pull-ups and it was a cinch. It's the #3 that I yet to accomplish but I haven't always been consistent with my grip workouts. Whether he spends a lot of time on grip or not, it's only a result of his training that his grip is so powerful. But again, his technique watch him beat all those guys: his arm and body move as one unit. I am sure there are many mechanics that go into what he does due to his long history of accomplishments, but that is one major thing I notice and curious if that contributes greatly or not much to his winning record.

I am not an armwrestler by any means, but from what I have seen and heard from actual elite AWers, gripper-closing strength is of very little importance to AWing. John Brzenk's hand strength is legendary and on the table it "feels like steel" (the words in between quotes were said by Rob Vigeant Jr. a few years back), yet he was never very proficient at gripper closing. And it just makes sense: the hand is never that closed in AW, you are gripping another man's hand, not something barely over 1 inch thick.. maybe when they are slipping and you have to grab onto a thumb or something.. but this is not how it usually happens. I just don't think the last part of a gripper close is important to AW at all. But that is of course just another opinion on the internet :D

He said closing the #2 same way as the photo posted on IM news. John is a member on this board and I remember he told Chad that he closed the #2.5 that way.

I always thought this was crazy hard: http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2006/Nov/Brzenk_The_Best_in_Boomtown.html

I thought that I had read where he closed a #2 like that, but I could be wrong.

A #2 isn't all that hard; a few weeks of 3 or more days of towel pull-ups and it was a cinch. It's the #3 that I yet to accomplish but I haven't always been consistent with my grip workouts. Whether he spends a lot of time on grip or not, it's only a result of his training that his grip is so powerful. But again, his technique watch him beat all those guys: his arm and body move as one unit. I am sure there are many mechanics that go into what he does due to his long history of accomplishments, but that is one major thing I notice and curious if that contributes greatly or not much to his winning record.

I think having your arm and body move as one unit is what you want to generate more power and also, protect yourself from injury.

A lot of beginners that I've seen setup with their elbow outside of their shoulder. No bueno...

Setting up with your elbow inside your shoulder is perfectly fine depending on what angles you are using

Funny thing is I asked John face to face in Dallas in 2007 about his statement in the 2006 IM News

and he said he remembers the picture but the story was apparently made up by Strossen (wonder why?$$$)

because he (John) told me as he has many times before that he doesn't mess with grippers because even easy ones

tweak his wrist for some reason and at one time nearly put him out of competing for awhile. Looking back John can see why

Strossen wanted him to hold the gripper that way for the picture. Strossen told him to hold it that way to show his freakish forearms! Uh? I don't think so!

Any arm wrestler that has experience knows that there is no transfer of gripper strength

to the arm wrestling table! This is what sparked my idea of the FP Gripper I developed in 2009 where one handle

was a flat piece of aluminum to apply finger pressure that simulates finger positioning for AW'ing. Why did I come

up with this? Because I knew hand grippers were basically useless for training hand strength transferable to AW'ing.

Anyway, that's the story on John and gripper training. ;) The guy doesn't mess with grippers!

When you see him or meet him ask him yourself. :)

Funny thing is I asked John face to face in Dallas in 2007 about his statement in the 2006 IM News

and he said he remembers the picture but the story was apparently made up by Strossen (wonder why?$$$)

because he (John) told me as he has many times before that he doesn't mess with grippers because even easy ones

tweak his wrist for some reason and at one time nearly put him out of competing for awhile. Looking back John can see why

Strossen wanted him to hold the gripper that way for the picture. Strossen told him to hold it that way to show his freakish forearms! Uh? I don't think so!

Any arm wrestler that has experience knows that there is no transfer of gripper strength

to the arm wrestling table! This is what sparked my idea of the FP Gripper I developed in 2009 where one handle

was a flat piece of aluminum to apply finger pressure that simulates finger positioning for AW'ing. Why did I come

up with this? Because I knew hand grippers were basically useless for training hand strength transferable to AW'ing.

Anyway, that's the story on John and gripper training. ;) The guy doesn't mess with grippers!

Here we go again—and maybe you have this documented with your letter about KIM, right?

Get a life, pal—if you spent a little less time in your fantasy world, maybe you wouldn't be such a loser.

Here we go again—and maybe you have this documented with your letter about KIM, right?

Get a life, pal—if you spent a little less time in your fantasy world, maybe you wouldn't be such a loser.

So, Mighty Joe, is this the story you were referring to:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2006/Nov/Brzenk_The_Best_in_Boomtown.html

Maybe you want to pull your pants up now.

So, Mighty Joe, is this the story you were referring to:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2006/Nov/Brzenk_The_Best_in_Boomtown.html

Maybe you want to pull your pants up now.

I don't believe John would lie but I can't say the same for you!

I'm just relaying the facts as they was told to me!

Get your own life RJS! Mine is doing wonderful knowing I don't have secrets to hide!

Cheers...