Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

Could you perhaps post a pic or short vid of the steering wheel thing? It sounds very interesting but I just can't fathom what you mean exactly.

Ill make a vid once we get wifi

1st workout in TX

DO 2" axle

Warmup to 300#

5 sets of 5 and 3, 3 of the sets were thumbless with 3 reps each... The other two were overhand 5 reps

Steering wheel pinch drill:

seesaw counterweight assisted pinches with the tractor scale weights, 5 sets of 5 singles counterweighted w/ 40#... thumbs were on the hard side

Wide pinch block 4": 5 singles w/ 55#

3" pinch block: 5 singles w/ 65#

three 1/3 turns steering wheel pinch w/ the Fatness Gear 45 plates

Really trying to balance out my pinch strength by bringing up my weak wide pinch. I'm much stronger in the 50-60 mm range but my strength really fades at 75mm or higher. The next month or so will be focused on 75mm+ pinching. Might take a while but I want to be a dominant force in wide pinch game and start nailing some of the elite feats... fingers crossed :)

Edited by jvance
  • Like 2

I've seen the steering wheel drill called around the worlds before. not to be confused with plate hula, another dynamic drill for pinch.

If your trying to bring up your wide pinch you can work block weights on their sides. also, add weight to that using small plates and string. depending on how you're defining wide pinch I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you have a specific goal. going ultra wide bugs my thumbs and there's really only one or two things that ever show up that are super wide. In the past i was strongest training smaller blocks with added weight, drop passes, and holds. i have held a fatman for time but, since I started training on bigger heavier blocks my block strength has actually gone down. it's a combination of things but, my 2 cents.

I've seen the steering wheel drill called around the worlds before. not to be confused with plate hula, another dynamic drill for pinch.

If your trying to bring up your wide pinch you can work block weights on their sides. also, add weight to that using small plates and string. depending on how you're defining wide pinch I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you have a specific goal. going ultra wide bugs my thumbs and there's really only one or two things that ever show up that are super wide. In the past i was strongest training smaller blocks with added weight, drop passes, and holds. i have held a fatman for time but, since I started training on bigger heavier blocks my block strength has actually gone down. it's a combination of things but, my 2 cents.

i basically am focusing on 3-4" range specifically.. in hopes that increased work on these widths will have decent carryover to slightly wider challenges. i'd focused so much on typical euro widths that i slacked off on the wider stuff.. just need to round it out. I will continue training with a wide focus, just need a bit more attention to this area.

hang snatches, no rest pause just continuous down/up movement w/ 2.8" DB @ 68#

heavy pulls same DB, singles @ 118# (finally good lifts with left hand) and 2 right singles @ 128#

off balance weaver lifts w/ same DB - up to 5/35# rear loaded.. did 2 sets of ten at this working weight. I am hopeful that this interesting exercise will bust my thickbar plateau by adding pulling strength in the ring and pinkie side of the hand... i will continue training this method and report results

extensor work and stretching to finish

Active recovery work day... bit of thin pinch work to counterbalance the wide pinching i've been training frequently

sledge finger walks 2 sets 8# hammer, added five pounds and did 5 more sets for each hand

between sledge walks did softball rotations in the hand, ten each direction... need shot puts for this exercise.. too light

thin pinch swings 38mm @ 40#, ten KB style swings for two sets each hand

extreme thin 8mm block (more like a plate), 2 sets of five second holds 45# and two more sets w/ 50#.. was getting ten seconds right handed.. felt strong... i have a hunch this will carryover to a 2hp session i have planned for early next week.. hopefully i can finally take down 100kg

• Like 1

seesaw counterweight assisted pinches with the tractor scale weights, 5 sets of 5 singles counterweighted w/ 40#... thumbs were on the hard side

Really trying to balance out my pinch strength by bringing up my weak wide pinch. I'm much stronger in the 50-60 mm range but my strength really fades at 75mm or higher. The next month or so will be focused on 75mm+ pinching. Might take a while but I want to be a dominant force in wide pinch game and start nailing some of the elite feats... fingers crossed :)

Hey Sorry I didn't get you up a video on this Jon....looks like you managed well. I did end up finding my video of the same thing from a couple years back. I found it on my facebook page. Sorry I thought it was erased. I think you have to got to Photos, then Albums, then Videos and it's in there somewhere lol. Don't think I could figure out how to get it on here anyway lol. Oh well...figures :)

Edited by kodyburns

Hey Sorry I didn't get you up a video on this Jon....looks like you managed well. I did end up finding my video of the same thing from a couple years back. I found it on my facebook page. Sorry I thought it was erased. I think you have to got to Photos, then Albums, then Videos and it's in there somewhere lol. Don't think I could figure out how to get it on here anyway lol. Oh well...figures :)

no worries dude

20141019 (yesterday)

thought i had it in me to do a crossfit style workout alternating 10x5 at 135# fat grips hang cleans and box jumps to my truck tailgate...

4th set in back to back, the popeyes chicken and ice cream i ate had other ideas... got real sick.. threw up, felt better and did a couple sledgewalks but ended up feeling like shit in a biscuit all night- no sleep etc..

still feel pretty rough and didn't eat much... idk if its a stomach virus or just being messed up from last night

i'll probably sit out tomorrow unless i feel like a million bucks.. still got a pinch workout in the works - hopefully i am up for it

anyways.. steelers looked good tonight :rock

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

no worries dude

20141019 (yesterday)

thought i had it in me to do a crossfit style workout alternating 10x5 at 135# fat grips hang cleans and box jumps to my truck tailgate...

4th set in back to back, the popeyes chicken and ice cream i ate had other ideas... got real sick.. threw up, felt better and did a couple sledgewalks but ended up feeling like shit in a biscuit all night- no sleep etc..

still feel pretty rough and didn't eat much... idk if its a stomach virus or just being messed up from last night

i'll probably sit out tomorrow unless i feel like a million bucks.. still got a pinch workout in the works - hopefully i am up for it

anyways.. steelers looked good tonight :rock

hahaha. After a big salty meal, I can't work out at all for the rest of the day.

Felt a little better today and got out in the garage about 9:30 for a bit of grip

Thin 2 hand pinch 37mm block, holds at 145# for five seconds - five singles... easy weight but tough for this particular block for which my fingers are too long and go over the edge.. so i have to basically choke up

IM anvil 5 second holds, 112# both hand with work gloves

2" vbar 3 second holds, five singles each hand with 161# with work gloves

So i'm trying the shorter sequence iso holds that John McCarter advises... i'm also gonna be training my pinch different than before... I'll basically pinch three straight days, day 1 - thin, day 2 - medium (contest width), day 3 - wide... then i will not pinch the next 4 days. I'd like to see how this approach affects my recovery and ability to be strong on all three widths at once

Edited by jvance

Minimalist training day

2" Axle warmup to 285# singles then working:

305# DO sets, set 1,3,5 thumbless for three reps, last set pulled 4

sets 2,4 DO w/ thumb 5 reps each

each week i will increase the weight on the axle by 2.5 or 5# and keep the volume the same

2hp holds

3 five second holds at 163# w/ thumb protectors, got too easy so i kicked it up to 173# for five seconds on the last two

tomorrow will be wide pinch + blobs then rest of the week will be dynamic and active conditioning/rest for the pinch

Edited by jvance

Another night in the trenches doing the non glamorous and tedious work of becoming better rounded. No fast rise or run up the ladder; each facet of grip trained thoroughly with intensity.......

Wide pinch work

2hp on 4" block; up to 115# 3 eight second rides

3 five second holds each hand 40# blob, then 2 three second left/five second right holds with 45# fatman

4" cylinder; to 45#, ten second holds - no cupping of fingers on underside for leverage... strict palm grip

vulcan w/ thumbscrews set stationary in a horizontal position (like a TTK), up to level 9 and with a 25mm block on attached between the thumbscrews... i like being able to shorten or length the ROM

Tendons were fried from day 3 straight of pinching...idk if this routine is the answer but i will go through once more next week and see if anything improves.. I didn't expect to do great tonight - i guess that is the point. Gotta push myself farther than i was before to continue getting results

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

Reading all of that pinch work made my hands hurt...awesome log to follow

Reading all of that pinch work made my hands hurt...awesome log to follow

Thanks man, my training is very diverse as I want to be among the most well rounded guys out there. Still a ways to go... Pinch needs a lot of work to get me to the next level.

Active recovery work in the evening:

eight sledgewalks each hand with 8# hammer

twist yo wrist spider walks, suspended from ceiling - this really gets the hand tingling good from the pump

elbow flexion device isometrics, 5 singles progressively harder

Chris Rice wrist thingie, 45# 3x10 going each direction and each hand

extensor cheez ball bucket work between...

putting on the recovery sleeves tonight, they really do help... hopefully be ready for some RT/axle tomorrow.. perhaps hub (pathetic)

BW 182.4

2" axle @ 305# same set same reps, DO thumbless 3x3, DO 2x5... was gonna go up in weight but decided to keep the same weight and pull conventional (which i'm a bit weaker in)... was barely getting 3 reps thumbless in this stance.

RT thumbless 2x8 @ 150# right/140#left

130# inch trainer 3x5 each hand, 3 styles - straddle, front grip, suitcase

quicker than i'd like bc i had to get done before the steelers game... hands fried quickly - as is normal with my thickbar

Edited by jvance

Becoming very pleased with my bodyweight calisthenics progress. Pistols have become much easier and I'm very close to achieving a strict hands behind back pistol - so much more difficult from a balance and leverage standpoint.

Today I also did my first legit muscle up... on the first attempt. Did it so quick i thought to myself "did i just do that?" Ended up getting a few more although on the last ones i was throwing myself over one elbow at a time - the dip extension part is easy; its pulling yourself to the dip position that's hard. Two weeks ago i set out on this goal, thinking it would take at least a month. Not so....

Perhaps a vertical grip workout later tonight... vbar, anvil, sledgehammer walking... hands feel good even after a tough thickbar day

• Like 1

Becoming very pleased with my bodyweight calisthenics progress. Pistols have become much easier and I'm very close to achieving a strict hands behind back pistol - so much more difficult from a balance and leverage standpoint.

Today I also did my first legit muscle up... on the first attempt. Did it so quick i thought to myself "did i just do that?" Ended up getting a few more although on the last ones i was throwing myself over one elbow at a time - the dip extension part is easy; its pulling yourself to the dip position that's hard. Two weeks ago i set out on this goal, thinking it would take at least a month. Not so....

Perhaps a vertical grip workout later tonight... vbar, anvil, sledgehammer walking... hands feel good even after a tough thickbar day

Nice, Jon. Your training is very inspiring. I've been finding that the more time I rack up training grip, the tougher my hands get and the more frequently or volume I can do for them. Except grippers. My hands develop an allergy to grippers immediately after a session and don't recover from it for at least a week.

• Like 1

Nice, Jon. Your training is very inspiring. I've been finding that the more time I rack up training grip, the tougher my hands get and the more frequently or volume I can do for them. Except grippers. My hands develop an allergy to grippers immediately after a session and don't recover from it for at least a week.

Thanks Anthony, your training is inspiring too. Great numbers at King Kong and I know you'll qualify for Nationals as well. If you keep training smart and thorough, you will be a big contender in your class before you know it...

• Like 1

BW 182.0

i hate making excuses, but this south texas dry air is killing some of the numbers on high friction lifts..... that or i am weaker lol

wanted to work up to BW on the little big horn and do a high volume set... but once i got to 180 it felt very heavy and the reps weren't going.. skin tearing up and the texture on the horn just felt like crap

same thing on the vbar, in ohio i toyed with 200lbs - now it is slick and heavy... on my 2hp day a few days ago i thought it was just a bad day, but i've been working hard so i doubt its a loss of strength - i'll just have to suck it up with lower numbers and not let it get me down psychologically

frustrated; i went into rampage mood.. and did 10+ heavy sledge walks at 10.5#, plate curl triples, up the 35#, and anvil swings with it loaded to 112#, 3x10... took off the three tens and did 2x10 more with work gloves on, the anvil weighs 80# empty...

think i tweaked something in my right hand.. hurts slightly in the pinkie pad if i flex the last two fingers a certain way. No big deal... just gotta heal and not be so damn hard on myself

not a good night... so much for south texas excuses

BW 182.0

i hate making excuses, but this south texas dry air is killing some of the numbers on high friction lifts..... that or i am weaker lol

wanted to work up to BW on the little big horn and do a high volume set... but once i got to 180 it felt very heavy and the reps weren't going.. skin tearing up and the texture on the horn just felt like crap

same thing on the vbar, in ohio i toyed with 200lbs - now it is slick and heavy... on my 2hp day a few days ago i thought it was just a bad day, but i've been working hard so i doubt its a loss of strength - i'll just have to suck it up with lower numbers and not let it get me down psychologically

frustrated; i went into rampage mood.. and did 10+ heavy sledge walks at 10.5#, plate curl triples, up the 35#, and anvil swings with it loaded to 112#, 3x10... took off the three tens and did 2x10 more with work gloves on, the anvil weighs 80# empty...

think i tweaked something in my right hand.. hurts slightly in the pinkie pad if i flex the last two fingers a certain way. No big deal... just gotta heal and not be so damn hard on myself

not a good night... so much for south texas excuses

Should've moved up north brother! :D

I need to wait for humid weather... Or rain.... Might not be training but once a month lol.

Yeah being from w. pa the weather is foreign to me. Can't say ill miss the snow and cold but it'll be weird.

BW 183.4

Tonight hang cleans w/ fat grips 3x5 @ 155

one hand power cleans w/ fat grips, 2 singles each hand at 135#

one hand power cleans w/ 2" axle, 1 single each hand at 135#, and 2 each hand at 145#, back down to 135# for 4 addtl. singles thumbless each hand

back to hang cleans w/ 2.5 axle at 150#, 3x5

extensor bucket between sets and also twistyowrist spider walks suspended from wall

plate curls, 2x5 each hand 25# and again with 25# + little big horn (7#)

plate holds, 2 each at five seconds, 25#+LBH

3 sledgewalks each hand, 10.5# sledge

hands felt stronger after a rough night with vertical lifting on monday... did a bunch of contrast baths after monday's workout and my hands feel better for it. Finished tonight's session with more C baths. Thickbar is coming back, several of the axle cleans felt extremely powerful and i had to use self control in not trying for a max