#3 Cert

Jeff Parker

I agree Geralt. I am enjoying the gripper a lot as it is making ironmind seem easy.

7/20

20mm block set grippers

135GHP6x4,4,4

130#2.5x8,8

IM Hub

62x2,3,3

Rolling Thunder

150x5,5,5

A couple singles on Big Tuna my 137lb 2.5 inch handle solid dumbbell. Pics of it in my gallery from before the paint job and name

7/24

CCS Grippers

135GHP6x1,1,1

Vulcan lvl 12x1

Vulcan lvl 9x5,5,5

I hand pinch

82x5,5,5

1 hand axle

140x4,5,5. Didn't warm up at all I think I would have gotten all three sets of 5 if I did

Singles on Big Tuna

I think you get it Chris.

7/27

Really tired from a weekend of traveling and just a few hours of sleep for 2 days so just grippers.

20mm block set

135GHP6x5,5,5

CCS Grippers

Vulcan lvl 10x2,2,2

Grippers feel back on track finally. Hopefully will get some good CCS work on Wednesday

• 2 weeks later...

Got a few workouts in but too busy with a lot of stuff to record them and now I don't remember enough of what I did to post. Doing a workout today and will post that.

Bodyweight down 30lbs since late may, I am at 230. Doing a 10k race in September, will be my first in over 12 years. Last time I did one I was maybe under 200lbs,

8/5

CCS grippers

135GHP6x1,1,1

130#2.5x 5,5

Aluminum anvil trainer - really like this, big thanks to Delmar Carter. I am not very good but it's my new favorite event. Hoping it becomes a mainstay as I think it's a really good and fair test of overall hand strength

Worked up to a 124 max. I did 134 on an IM little big horn a few weeks ago so I would say this is a little tougher. A big plus for me is my left is better than my right so at King Kong I'll have a fresh left hand for the last event

124x1

104x5,5,5

Lots of singles after that I didn't keep track of.

1 hand pinch

87x3,3,3

Nice work on the DC (Delmar Carter) anvil trainer! That is one superb piece of training equipment. I kept mine and hopefully will never be stupid enough to sell it. It seasons pretty quickly and you'll increase your poundages quite a bit just by fiddling around with hand angle and wrist position.

A subtle tip, but one that can make or break a lift is to chalk (heavily) your wrists before the lift. I chalk about 3" below my palm (and of course I chalk the hell out of my hand) before gripping the anvil trainer. I use a grip that's pretty similar to the one I use on 2" vbar. Very supinated and the tip of the anvil trainer is sometimes touching my wrist.

Interesting tip Ben, thanks. Is there nothing in the rules against the horn touching the wrist?

Interesting tip Ben, thanks. Is there nothing in the rules against the horn touching the wrist?

There might be, Jeff. I haven't checked because I never thought I'd be doing this event in a contest. But there is a chance that I can attend the MO King Kong...so it would be a good time to find out so that I don't do that in the contest.

When I pulled 200lbs on the DC Anvil Trainer (think it was last year), my wrist was not touching the implement. It was a perfect balance of grabbing the smallest part of the implement and getting the hand angle just right. I have not trained with it much since then. But I have not duplicated that pull - or gotten within 20lbs of it - so the more "repeatable" results I've had are with the wrist touching the implement.

Thinking back, I remember that my pinky was half off the end of the anvil. It looked like my hand does when I close a gripper, at least the pinky hanging halfway off reminded me of that.

• 4 weeks later...

Took some time off to go to Disney World. Great time my daughter loved it. Back to training now

8/29

CCS Grippers

135GHP6x 1,1

130#2.5x

One hand pinch

87x 2,3,3

hold 7 seconds

Anvil horn

106.5x5,5,5

116.5x 2,2,1

One hand axle

140x3,3,3

9/2/14

20mm block set grippers

135#GHP6x3,3,3

IM Hub

45x10,10,10

Anvil trainer

109x5,5,5

119x1,1,1

9/6

Lots of reps on lots of different equipment didn't keep track just a big volume day.

Did get a PR on the anvil at 142 and finally lifted my friends fatman 95 which is harder than my blob50

Thanks Andrew. Forgot to mention Chris got 155, he's doing real good.

9/9/14

One hand pinch

77x1, 87x1, 92x1,1,1 77x8

Anvil

119x1, 129x1, 139x1, 149x1,1,1 109x12

Good PR again

One hand axle

135x1, 145x1, 155x1, 115x8

IM hub swings

30x5,5,5

• Like 1

Thanks Jon. I actually do a lot of odd stuff I don't log just because I use my phone to type up my log and it's gets to be a pain. Every workout I am also doing some variation of swings holds catches or low weight high rep stuff that I don't bother to keep track of reps, just train to exhaustion.

Ran a 10k on Sunday, goal was under an hour and I got 1 hour 3 minutes. Good motivation to try it again next year. Strained my left Achilles and haven't been able to lift yet, going to try today

Thanks Frank. I got down to 225 for a total summer weight loss of 35lbs. I didn't really like maintaining that so I will probably try and stay around 235, 260 was defiantly too big for me.

9/17

One hand pinch

87x2,2,2,2,4. Got 4 on the last set by switching from just fingers and thumb to gripping farther down and getting palm pressure too.

77x12

Anvil

149x2,2,2 109x17

IM Hub

60x1,1,1,1,1

Achilles is still bad, had to lean on my right foot very hard just to lift, one hand axle was a no go.

9/24

Ankle is worse glad it's all one hand events, I couldn't go heavy if I had to

1 hand pinch

87x4,4,4 hold for 11

IM hub

55x4,4,4 hold for 12

One hand axle

145x2,2,2 125x7

Anvil

154x1,1,1, 134x7

I'm not really setting prs on the anvil every workout, it is seasoning better every workout so not sure how much I'm actually progressing, if any.

Thanks Ben

9/29

One hand pinch

92x2,2,3 77x13

IM Hub

60x2,2,3 45x15

One hand axle

145x2,2,2

Anvil

124x6,7,7

Nice pinch thats strong. On a great day I can hop 92 off the ground.

Thanks Andrew

Stopped grippers altogether until after King Kong. Just don't have the time to train everything.

9/5

Lots of reps on all the King Kong implements. Trained with Chris and didn't really keep track, just lifted. Chris worked up to 166.5 on the anvil!

• 2 weeks later...

10/15

1 hand pinch

97x0,1,1

1 hand axle

125x1,145x1, 155x1, 1

IM hub

52x1, 62x1, 67x1

Anvil

150x1, 155x1, 160x1