Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

The initial drive / start is the hardest part. That little kick goes almost automatic I guess. Still strong press Roy. I am so behind on this press, set aside my shoulder nag.

The initial drive / start is the hardest part. That little kick goes almost automatic I guess. Still strong press Roy. I am so behind on this press, set aside my shoulder nag.

Hey Geralt I'm currently doing this very simple drill to improve my shoulder health, stability and mobility. It's called a scapular wall slide and at first I could hardly do it with my left arm, but veeeery slowly the movement is getting better and at the same time the nag seems to be getting less. I try to do 20 repititions (almost) each day. I don't think you've got the same shoulder nag as me, but perhaps it can do something for you as well.

Example vid:

• Like 1

(Almost) daily stuff for me buddy! The wall is starting to show a sliding pattern lol but thnx!

• Like 1

Training friday 7 nov.

Had planned to max out with deadlift today, but my (lower)back has been extremely stiff all week, so I definitely didn't feel up to it.

Instead I maxed out with Fatgripz deadlift (because you don't have to use that much weight), but that turned out to be a bit of a anti-climax as well.

Overhead press

Speed 10x 2x70kg

Do deadlift with Fatgripz max.

1x120kg/ 1x130kg/ 1x40kg/ -x140kg

Mmmm. Really thought my thickbar strenght had improved, turned out it didn't. Although the 140kg did go up a little easier and I was able to get a decent hold at the top.

Rev. grip floor press

6x80kg/ 4x90kg/ 3x100kg/ 8x90kg

+

Barbell lunges

8x70kg/ 8x80kg/ 6x90kg/ 6x90kg

Cable row v-bar with Fatgripz

6x115kg/ 6x125kg/ 6x135kg

One arm cable row with Fatgripz on free spinning handle

9x50kg/ 4x55kg/ 4x55kg/ 4x55kg/ 15x65kg(without Fatgripz)

Very hard. Comparable to Rolling thunder only with better spin.

And also....

Machine leg press - rep and quarter

Pinchwalk with 2x10kg (really fat ones)

Bicep curls light

Reverse wrist curls light

The body has strange ways dude. I know the feeling. Get amped up, go to the gym, and just can't perform like you want to. Next time you feel the same or even tired and you can lift an entire tractor overhead.

The body has strange ways dude. I know the feeling. Get amped up, go to the gym, and just can't perform like you want to. Next time you feel the same or even tired and you can lift an entire tractor overhead.

Definitely! I don't know if I will ever find what makes everything fall into place sometimes. With grip it is even harder to predict how strong you are going to be on a given day than with regular strenght movements.

• Like 1

Training 11 nov. 2014

Overhead press

5x 2x80kg

+

Grippers TNS

Right GHP5 2x/ 2x/ 2x/ 1x/ 1x/ 9xGHP4

Left #2 2x!/ 1x/ 2x/ -x/ -x/ 9x#1.5

First time I did a double with GHP5! So some progress is being made after all. Next gripper up would be the #2.5. Really wanna TNS my #2.5. never been able to do that, not even when I was a hair away from mms closing my 153 #3.

Reverse grip floor press

6 x 8x80kg

+

Hangs with Fatgripz on free spinning handles, hands facing each other BW 230lbs

In seconds 20s/ 19s/ 18s/ 21s/ 18s

Horizontal leg press - rep and a quarter

Couple of light sets

+

Pinchwalk with two really fat 10kg plates

3x approx. 30m

Romanian deadlift

6x100kg/ 6x120kg/ 6x130kg/ 6x140kg

Back still not up to regular deadlifts, but these felt good

Pullups

3x/ 4x/ 5x/ 6x/ 5x

No pullup power left.

Bicep curl against wall with Fatgripz on EZ bar

4x 20x28kg

Arms where pumped like crazy after this.

Edited by Royz

Friday 14 nov. 2014

Bit of an oddball training. Feeling a bit under the weather and little aches and pains all over.

Decline bench press

4x100kg/ 4x100kg/ 4x100kg/ 6x110kg/ 4x110kg/ 4x120kg/ 3x125kg

Long time since I last did this one. Took me a couple of sets to find my groove. Used a fairly narrow grip, left shoulder is feeling fine.

Barbell lunges

4x 6x80kg

Grippers TNS

Right 3x#2/ 1xghp5/ 11xghp4/ 10xghp4/ 8xghp4

Left 3xghp4/ 1x#2/ 8x#1.5(filed)/ 9x#1.5(filed)/ 10x#1.5(filed)

Didn't have much power so decided to do some higher rep stuff.

Leg press horizontal rep and a quarter

10+10x93kg/ 10+10x109kg/ 10+10x109kg

+

Pinchwalk with fat 10kg's

3x 30m each hand

Cable row with Fatgripz on rotating handles

10x90kg/ 10x100kg/ 5x110kg/ 5x110kg/ 4x110kg and without Fatgripz > 6x125kg/ 6x135kg/ 5x145kg

Towel dumbbell curl

10x18kg/ 10x18kg/ 10x20kg

Just goofing around. Loop a towel round a dumbbell handle and lift it by the towel.

Loadable Sledge swings 'call to order'

3x 15x10kg

Grippers TNS

First time I did a double with GHP5! So some progress is being made after all. Next gripper up would be the #2.5. Really wanna TNS my #2.5. never been able to do that, not even when I was a hair away from mms closing my 153 #3.

Good stuff!

Grippers TNS

Good stuff!

Thanks Bob! Hopefully I can keep progressing this time without getting hurt. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Tuesday 18 nov. 2014

Another mish mash training. I'm going to do two more of these before I start a more structured approach again and make another run at a overhead and deadlift PR.

I feel some tissues have been overused lately so I'm trying some new stuff (and old stuff). Still feeling a bit under the weather, stiffness in back is loosening up a bit though.

Decline bench press

4x100kg/ 4x110kg/ 4x110kg/ 4x110kg

Could've gone heavier but didn't feel right. Not fully recovered from last time.

+

Gripper strap lifts from floor (not holds)

Right #2(filed) x5kg/ x6,5kg/ x7,5kg/ x10kg/ -x11,5kg

Left #1.5(filed) x5kg/ x6,5kg/ x7,5kg/ x10kg/ -x11,5kg

First time I've tried these. You start with the weight on the floor, than put the strap between the handles and try to lift the weight of the floor. It takes a short but really hard contraction to do this. So it might be beneficial for the last part of the crush also it makes it really easy to progress with small increments. Going to alternate these with TNS sessions for a while. My end crush really sucks at the moment.

Reverse grip floor press

4x90kg/ 4x95kg/ 4x100kg/ 3x105kg/ 3x105kg/ 3x105kg

Didn't expect much of these after decline presses but they went suprisingly well.

Hangs with Fatgripz on rotating handles, palms facing wall

In seconds: 12/ 12/12/ 12/ 12/ 9

Damn these are hard! I think I could hang almost three times as long from a non-rotating regular pullup bar with fatgripz. You can't use wrist power to relieve some of the stress from the thumb the handles just rotates to the weakest point of the grip.

+

Dumbbell Side raises

15x10kg/ 15x14kg/ 15x18kg/ 15x18kg/ 15x18kg + 20x10kg

Snatch grip romanian deadlift

8x100kg/ 5x110kg/ 5x110kg/ 5x110kg

Man that snatch grip is brutal. Obviously my grip wasn't fresh by this time but I had a really hard time holding on to just 110kg! Some of those weightlifting guys can pull 200kg overhead with a snatch grip, they must have monstrously strong grips.

Wall curls with Fatgripz on EZ bar

6x 20x28kg

Arms about to explode! Even though the weight was really light.

+

Reverse grip wrist curls

Edited by Royz

Usually not into 'internet humor', but I thought this one was funny...

Hahaha, that's a good one. I always chuckle at the guys using the pad for squats...even with small traps, just a few weeks of dedicated training without the pad will condition the shoulders and traps to handle the load with no pain.

• Like 1

Friday 21 nov. 2014

Have been feeling a tightness/irritation in my right shoulder. It basically only hurts with the last couple of centimers of the overhead press or any other overhead movement. But I'm not taking any chances so I'm going to skip (overhead) pressing for a couple of weeks probably. There goes my optimism for reaching my 1x100kg goal within a couple of months...

Dumbell back raises with chest on incline bench

10x18kg/ 8x22kg/ 8x22kg/ 8x22kg/ 8x22kg

Grippers

Wanted to, but there was no power there...

Hangs with fatgripz on rotating handles, palms facing wall

In seconds 19s/ +10kg 10s/+10kg 10s/+10kg 10s/+10kg 8s

Zercher squat

5x60kg/ 5x70kg/ 5x80kg/ 5x90kg/ 3x100kg

First time I've tried these. Not sure if it's a keeper but really fun to do. Definitely makes you feel like a badass even when your using light weights. Sort of similar to front squats but easier to perform, for me anyway. I can't do front squats due to shoulder and wrist mobility issues. Because the weight is in front of you the leg position is very similar to the deadlift position and you have to tighten your core really hard to stay upright. Possibly a great accessory movement to deadlifting. Legs sore for three days

Barbell row to chest with Fatgripz

5x90kg/ 5x100kg/ 5x100kg/ 5x100kg

Barbell lunges

6x60kg/ 6x70kg/ 6x80kg

Legs really wobbly after the Zercher squats.

Front lat pull downs

10x85kg/ 10x95kg/ 10x105kg/ 5x115kg

Front and back levers with leverage bar

It is annoying to finally come in the area of your goal and than get an injury. Also happens to me basically every time. Maybe it is a good idea to just accept where your strong point lie and what your weaknesses are. Do what you are good at. I think you are a strong puller. Look at your DL and rowing motions. Also your leg drive is strong. Bench is strong, and shoulders also but those are a weak spot, specially when working overhead. Perhaps attack those only with high reps and not per definition big weights?

Edited by Geralt

It is annoying to finally come in the area of your goal and than get an injury. Also happens to me basically every time. Maybe it is a good idea to just accept where your strong point lie and what your weaknesses are. Do what you are good at. I think you are a strong puller. Look at your DL and rowing motions. Also your leg drive is strong. Bench is strong, and shoulders also but those are a weak spot, specially when working overhead. Perhaps attack those only with high reps and not per definition big weights?

Thanks man, but lately it seems everything is a weakpoint. ;-) Still learning. Twice a week overhead is effective, but perhaps a little too much (for me). Regular benching by the way hurts my shoulders more than overhead pressing. The say it's the journey that counts not the destination... This is very true, but I really would like to get where I'm f**k-ing going once in a while haha.

• Like 1

When was your last "deload" week? How often do you do "therapy" type work when you feel the beginnings of an injury? It took me decades of beating the heck out of myself before learning that taking better care of results in better numbers. Sometimes "Rest is Training".

When was your last "deload" week? How often do you do "therapy" type work when you feel the beginnings of an injury? It took me decades of beating the heck out of myself before learning that taking better care of results in better numbers. Sometimes "Rest is Training".

Mmmm.. mostly when I feel something 'coming' I try to switch to other stuff. I only train twice a week so I rarely do a real deload week, only if I'm feeling really beaten/tired, maybe once in 3 months? I stretch everyday anything that feels tight, is that considered therapy? I also recently bought an Armaid which I don't use often enough, on average once or twice a week I guess and after training I always ice and stretch any painfull bits, mostly inside of elbows and shoulders at the moment.

The tightness/pain I'm feeling in my right shoulder at the moment I've never had before so I'm not really sure how to deal with that. I'm ditching overhead pressing for the moment, but any advice on that would be appreciated. I feel it in the front of my shoulder but only when my arms are almost completely overhead. So if I would do a front raise and raise my arm beyond horizontal to straight overhead I would only feel the pain in the last degrees of the movement. Does that explanation make sense?

Edited by Royz

Training tuesday 25 nov. 2014

A very bleh training, next week I'm starting with the structured approach again. AND I discovered I've lost (another) pair of Fatgripz at the gym! Must've forgotten to get them of a barbell or something last time at the gym... Naturally nobody brought them to lost items. :chris:

Very steep incline press on hammerstrenght-ish machine

4x25kg(each side)/ 4x30kg/ 3x35kg/ 15x25kg

My right shoulder thought this was cool, my left shoulder thought this sucked...

Decline bench press

5x4x100kg

Machine dips

10x155kg/ 5x175/ 5x175kg

Should start dipping for real again. This machine is just to easy. It actually only goes to 135kg, so I just stack dumbbells on top of the weight stack to get proper resistance. :whacked

Grippers TNS

Did these in betweens sets incline press, decline press and dips

Right 7x 1xghp5/ 2x 7x ghp4

Left 7x 1x #2/ 2x 7x #1.5

Well this sucked. Actually couldn't get a close in my first worksets. Than I got angry with myself and managed a couple of singles some of which where convincing closes and others where either just closed or near misses.

Snatch grip romanian deadlift

6x90kg/ 6x100kg/ 6x110kg/ 6x120kg/ 6x130kg

My grip wasn't tired this time from thickbar so it went better. Still very tough on the grip, but gripwise could've gotten a bit more.

Pullups

3x/ 3x/ +10kg 3x/ +10kg 3x/ +10kg 3x/ 6x

Very sucky.

Plate pinch 2x very fat 10kg plates

Some walks, lifts and swings.

Dynamic pinch with modified thumb screws on vulcan

4x 10reps

Didn't like the thumb screws very much. Too small and your only pinching with your fingertips and the full ROM actually hurt my right thumb. So I basically just screwed on a couple of pieces of wood and now I can pinch with my whole hand and also with two hands simultaneously if I wanted to. Also the pinch doesn't end so very thin now anymore and my right thumb is very happy with that. Will post a pic next time.

Seated calf presses

4x 15x85kg

Some L-sit progressions

Edited by Royz

Training 28 nov. 2014

Overhead press seated on flat bench, no back support

8x 4x60kg

Taking it easy. This is however much harder than the standing version, probably because you can't use any momentum at all, plus you haven't got a back support to brace yourself against.

+

Grippers TNS

Right 32 reps in 7 sets x#2

Left 40 reps in 7 sets xghp4

Huge rep PR's both hands!

Zercher squat

5x80kg/ 5x90kg/ 5x95kg/ 5x100kg

Going to keep doing this one for a couple of weeks. It might be a keeper.

+

Fatgripz hangs

In seconds/ 12s xBW+10kg/ 12s xBW+12kg/ 8s xBW+14kg/ 7s xBW+14kg/ 8s xBW+14kg

New pair of Fatgripz. Definitely a bit stickier than my old pair (lost at gym).

Back raises, chest on incline bench

5x 15x14kg

+

Face pulls with towel

4x 15x50kg

Farmers walk 2xfat 10kg

3x30m both hands

Dynamic pinch stuff on modified thumb screws

Training 28 nov. 2014

Overhead press seated on flat bench, no back support

8x 4x60kg

Taking it easy. This is however much harder than the standing version, probably because you can't use any momentum at all, plus you haven't got a back support to brace yourself against.

+

Grippers TNS

Right 32 reps in 7 sets x#2

Left 40 reps in 7 sets xghp4

Huge rep PR's both hands!

Zercher squat

5x80kg/ 5x90kg/ 5x95kg/ 5x100kg

Going to keep doing this one for a couple of weeks. It might be a keeper.

+

Fatgripz hangs

In seconds/ 12s xBW+10kg/ 12s xBW+12kg/ 8s xBW+14kg/ 7s xBW+14kg/ 8s xBW+14kg

New pair of Fatgripz. Definitely a bit stickier than my old pair (lost at gym).

5x 15x14kg

+

Face pulls with towel

4x 15x50kg

Farmers walk 2xfat 10kg

3x30m both hands

Dynamic pinch stuff on modified thumb screws

Nice workout man. I think you're doing very good work considering the injuries you have to dance around. I know what it's like to do those unsupported seated presses and that weight is no joke, they are extremely hard. And that is some excellent gripper work. Sucks that you lost your fat gripz. I lost my lifting belt a few times at the gym and it always sucks, not just because I have to buy a new one, but because I know someone out there is using my belt!

Thanks Anthony,

I just keep on going And always searching for workarounds. Off course if something really hurts I will skip it all together.

• Like 1

Training 4 dec. 2014

Dips

10x 3xBW+40kg

+

Grippers TNS

Right 7x single ghp5

Left 6x single #2

Hands were cold and every rep fel hard.

DO deadlift

10x 2x150kg

Back is feeling a bit less stiff. Starting deadlifting again. Easing into it.

Romanian deadlift

5x100kg/ 5x120kg/ 5x130kg/ 5x140kg

15x14kg/ 12x18kg/ 10x20kg/ 10x22kg/ 10x22kg

Hangs with Fatgripz

5x 12s

Hands already fried from deadlifting I think.

Dumbbell farmers walk with Fatgripz

3x30m x40kg

Alternate dumbbell curl with Fatgripz

6x20kg/ 5x24kg/ 4x26kg/ 3x28kg

Curling is starting to feel better.

Training 9 dec. 2014

Overhead press, sitting on flat bench

3x60kg/ 3x65kg/ 3x70kg/ 3x72,5kg

Last rep on last set was a struggle, should've skipped it. I'm guessing this movement is about 10-12kg harder for me than the standing variation.

Zercher squat

5x90kg/ 5x100kg/ 5x105kg

Getting a bit more used to this movement now.

Grippers TNS (in betweens sets overhead and Zerchers)

Right: 6x attempt at a double with ghp5, got it three times + 9x ghp4

Left: 6x attempt at a single with ghp5, got it four times. First time ever closing ghp5 with lefty! + 5xghp4

Pinch wide: 2HP with two really fat 20kg plates, combined width 10-11cm

5x/ 3x/ 3x/ 3x/ 3x

Really suck at pinch. Can't believe there are people doing this with one hand! Need to work harder at pinch.

Pinch medium: One hand swings with two 10kg plates

4x 10x (with a couple of drops in there, in fact almost dropped them on somebody :whistel )

+

Pullups

3x/ 4x/ 5x/ 6x/ 7x/ 8x

Cable row, neutral wide grip

6x100kg/ 6x110kg/ 6x120kg/ 6x130kg/ 5x135kg/ 20x100kg

+

Pinch dynamic: with modified thumb screws

6 sets with ? resistance.

Have been using the orange spring for this so far, but it's a bit too light to use when pinching with two hands. Going to put on the black spring.

Alternate dumbbell curl

6x20kg/ 6x24kg/ 6x28kg/ 6x30kg/ 15x18kg

Left shoulder hurt a bit on heaviest set. Still happy with this, haven't done heavy curls in a looong time.

+

Seated calf presses, one legged

15x65kg/ 15x75kg/ 12x85kg/ 10x90kg/ 10x90kg

Edited by Royz