The Shoggoth Basement

Shoggoth

I agree with ya, never found them that bad. Though I did switch from sleeves to olympic knee wraps. Still have some brand new ones around here somewhere.

I've got a few pair of wraps but usually find them more of a pain then they're worth.

The oly wraps are lighter and Velcro attach compared to PL wraps. I still cringe thinking about the metal blacks I had. Those things hurt like hell.

• Like 1

I love my Metal blacks. Sadly 100% RAW and the ADAU do not even allow a sleeve to be worn, yet they allow wrist wraps?? At any rate, once my knee is better and I can squat with a bar on my back again, I will be using the METAL blacks again. The tighter the better. It only hurts the first few sessions then it goes away. When I was competing in gear I had training partners wrap them as tight as they could and with meet adrenaline I never even felt them.

No bragony without the agony! :fear

• Like 1

I love my Metal blacks. Sadly 100% RAW and the ADAU do not even allow a sleeve to be worn, yet they allow wrist wraps?? At any rate, once my knee is better and I can squat with a bar on my back again, I will be using the METAL blacks again. The tighter the better. It only hurts the first few sessions then it goes away. When I was competing in gear I had training partners wrap them as tight as they could and with meet adrenaline I never even felt them.

No bragony without the agony! :fear

If I wrap I usually use the Iron-Z but I've got the blacks as well. Just haven't played with them much to be able to see the big difference between the two.

Lost all that umph when I tore my knee apart, ignoring the pain lost its appeal. They are awesome wraps though so much rebound from them.

A guy just posted over on the P&B a day or so ago getting a massive blood clot from his wraps.

Sounds like he had other issues or left them on too long. I haven't been to P+B in years.

February 24, 2015

Before Supper

Last workout before Saturday's testing.

Bench Press

45 x 3 x 15r

135 x 5

185 x 3

225 x 2

275 x 5 x 2r

Standing Band Crunch

XH x 3 x 15r

Lost all that umph when I tore my knee apart, ignoring the pain lost its appeal. They are awesome wraps though so much rebound from them.

Its the price we pay to do what we do. You never know when something might decide to pop off. In the grand scheme of things, we really are not designed to be lifting heavy things. We are better suited for sitting at desks all day long or taking long strolls on the beach. If only we had the body structure of a gorilla!

A guy just posted over on the P&B a day or so ago getting a massive blood clot from his wraps.

I once wore a bench belt so low and tight when I was training in a bench shirt that I turned the entire area above my crank straight black. Forget a bruise, this was straight black and hurt like hell. I thought for sure I tore something. It was just the pressure of the belt pinching me. Anytime you break a blood vessel or vessels that bad, I suggest going to a doc to make sure you don't get a hematoma which could probably cause a clot.

Its the price we pay to do what we do. You never know when something might decide to pop off. In the grand scheme of things, we really are not designed to be lifting heavy things. We are better suited for sitting at desks all day long or taking long strolls on the beach. If only we had the body structure of a gorilla!

I once wore a bench belt so low and tight when I was training in a bench shirt that I turned the entire area above my crank straight black. Forget a bruise, this was straight black and hurt like hell. I thought for sure I tore something. It was just the pressure of the belt pinching me. Anytime you break a blood vessel or vessels that bad, I suggest going to a doc to make sure you don't get a hematoma which could probably cause a clot.

Holy crap! Yep, good time to get a Dr involved. A competent guy that knows the sport and doesn't say to just stop like I'd assume 95% of them would haha!

The plan:

image1-739372.JPG

Edited by Shoggoth
  • Like 2

Post 1111

February 28, 2015

Afternoon

Missed my last attempt at a 575 pull. Overall I'm pretty happy. Okay for just some old fat guy training in his basement.

Squat - Texas Power Bar, Belt, TK Sleeves

45 x 4 x 3r

135 x 3

225 x 2

315 x 1

365 x 1

405 x 1

*455 x 1

*495 x 1

*525 x 1

Bench Press - Texas Power Bar, 18" APT Wrist Wraps

45 x 3 x 10r

135 x 5

185 x 3

225 x 1

275 x 1

*315 x 1

*335 x 1

*345 x 1

Deadlift - Okie Bar

225 x 2 x 2r

315 x 1, 1

405 x 1

455 x 1

495 x 1

*525 x 1

*555 x 1

*575 x Fail at the knees. I think I'm better with a stiff bar and will see over the next couple of Months.

• Like 6

Those deadlift bars take some time to get used to. The timing of your lift changes. Stiff bars are typically better for those who get a lot from their leg drive.

Fantastic, Jason! That 525 squat took a monumental effort. Fun to watch! Solid, max effort bench. And a 555 deadlift to cap it off! Well chosen attempts.

What were you weighing today?

Those deadlift bars take some time to get used to. The timing of your lift changes. Stiff bars are typically better for those who get a lot from their leg drive.

I'm going back to my stiff bar. I seem to do 20-30# better with it.

Watching your lifts, you have great leg drive. Back and glutes "lag" behind it comparatively. Good lifts all around, going strong.

• Like 1

Fantastic, Jason! That 525 squat took a monumental effort. Fun to watch! Solid, max effort bench. And a 555 deadlift to cap it off! Well chosen attempts.

What were you weighing today?

Thanks Eric! I was a little off on my set-up with the 525 but went anyways and it turned into a grinder. Should've been good for that pull but I think my squat effort hurt it and I also peeled about 3" of hide off of my knee pulling the 575 so that probably slowed me a bit.

I weighed 268# this morning without trying to do anything. I fell into the USSF 275# and proved that I could've hit 120kg class pretty easy for comps up here. I should be able to easily drop to 240# or 105kg. Some dieting is going to start tomorrow.

"I take my shirt off and play volleyball in the danger zone"! Lol unreal mock meet bud!

"I take my shirt off and play volleyball in the danger zone"! Lol unreal mock meet bud!

Thanks bud!

Good job on the mock meet. I dig the Okie bar even though I am a fast puller and use a lot of leg. But, it almost feels like its a double pull with the whippy bar. The first pull takes out the slack, then you have to reengage to keep the bar moving.

I am surprised that you were approaching the assistance work half-assed. I try to make all my sets, whether its a main lift or assistance lift, a do or die situation. Strength gains in any lift will transition into your main lifts, so attack them.

I'm not sure how to respond to that as I'm pretty sure I'm not half-assing my assistance.

Been reading Rex's book a bunch more over the past couple of weeks. There's a line in there that's really struck a cord and is how I've really been looking at the assistance work this year. Anyways he says to take a few seconds just to get your head right before each set of assistance work; what's the goal of it? It's not to move the most weight. To be heaving crap around. It's bodybuilding. Drop the weight and master it. Feel it where it needs to be. Otherwise you're just turning them into main lifts as well.

Half-assing was the wrong word. I was referring to this. I am surprised it took reading a book for you to realize this. Assistance work is just that, it is meant to be high rep, muscle building, grind sessions. LOL! You got offended. :grin: I tell my son he is half-assing it when he is running at 10 mph at a 10% grade for 30 seconds then doing 10 thrusters with 65 pounds! :)

Maybe I didn't say it right. I've been doing that with my assistance work for over a year, recently read it again in Rex's book, figured I'd put it on my log/blog as others read it and may get something out of hearing it too as I see many using too much weight on assistance stuff.

I didn't say I was offended, I said I wasn't sure how to respond to your statement as it didn't make sense.

A sure fire way to make sure you are using good weights for assistance is to do 5 second eccentrics/time under tension. Impossible to go to heavy.

Please disregard my attempts at humor.

• Like 1

I'll go for a long eccentric and then try to explode with the concentric quite often. Hits the muscles good with not a lot of weight.