From The Ashes......resurrecting My Grip

1stCoC

Any chance of a short video of Donnie squatting - he "sorta" knows what he's doing :).

He has videos all over youtube. Over a million hits when he did some of his big squats. He went out on his own and stitched his daughters name and ours on his suit straps before his series of world records right up to 3000 total. He is tough but a good heart, amazing knowledge ,and strength of a bull.

I walked into the "Masters Den" last night Donnie Thompson's Compound. It is a real ,true gym. All super heavy duty, perfectly organized ,some ancient pieces of man/ monster equipment. Racks I built in my garage35 years ago up to the most modern pieces were carefully arranged in the open door 89 degree heat. Being a 50 years of training newbie I walked in dropped my bag and strapped my belt on. A nod and NO more from anyone. I was just a dude. They were doing their thing. Breeze ,a friend of many lears bouncer, pro wrestler and all around "universally hated man"( as he describes it) and Ms. d were ready to do deadlifts. Warmups went well and to include some grip work I two finger each hand reversed gripped deadlifted the bar up to 385. We all geared down at 425 and at 475 everyone was successful. I pulled a second rep at 475 to let off some extra energy I felt from the room. We all gave 500 a try but it was a bridge too far . I felt it was a good day for a 64 year old cancer survivor , a 51 year old ex fighter that has more broken bones and stab wounds than the third army, and a young ,gifted ,lady of strength. After the dust settled Big Don now done squatting on the new 80lb. Bosco squat bar gave me some great tech tips on my now "rusty "deadlift form. This man is a library of strength ! All the rest were unusually active and a big lifter Levi ,a recent 1000 squatter ,was just bouncing around in joy from a 115lb PR in his band resisted box squat. All of them were using the benefits of their new bar to the max. At the end of the workout I was treated with a respectful handshake or goodbye ( not given unless you are a lifter). Donnie gave me a "15 minutes of gold "clinic on back , hip and hip flexor training that when I asked how many of the best in the world know these things? ( he replied none, their bodies will break sooner than later) after the amazing ,but simple ,protocol and as applied explanation I left an enlightened man. On track for my 500 birthday pull and blessed to be around people of strength that care and share their wisdom.

Richard - you should have started this log years ago - there's a ton of pure Gold in here. As we age it's nice to know that the iron will always be there for us - from innocent youth to our rusty years it is always fulfilling. And while nothing can turn back the clock - what we do will at least hold back the hands of time as best we can. What I enjoy the most here is the way you still look forward to each visit to the gym the make - something I do myself - and if there is a secret to all this maybe that is it. Loving what we do and what it allows us to do.

Richard - you should have started this log years ago - there's a ton of pure Gold in here. As we age it's nice to know that the iron will always be there for us - from innocent youth to our rusty years it is always fulfilling. And while nothing can turn back the clock - what we do will at least hold back the hands of time as best we can. What I enjoy the most here is the way you still look forward to each visit to the gym you make - something I do myself - and if there is a secret to all this maybe that is it. Loving what we do and what it allows us to do.

It is the light that has always burned within me, I truly love the strength a body and mind can aquire the bonds that are created through strife helping each other, many times I have been asked to start book and perhaps I should have, it has be en funny, hard, complicated , dangerous and at times a wet blanket placed on my will. It has been alight form to respect others but believe 100 percent i my will and want to. My natural testosterone levels drop and it is more difficulty you fan the fire. The sad day will be when no longer there will that fire .....will be my likley my end. Like elephants thebyougnhavepowerful abilities and huge strength and energy . Without thebteachingband example from the settled heard bulls the society turns int a Gand of ruffians with all golds and respect fort themselves and others

Sorry my last post had a bunch of wrong words and spelling. That is the last time I will try to have a rushed business meeting and trying to type at the same time without checking. The pain and stiffness in my fingers don't help very much either!

I took a day for an early birthday and visited the largest knife show in the world,the Blade Show in Atlanta. Mechanical things fascinate me and the the knife being the first tool is where it all began. They are made in two basic ways of making a knife ,one by heating and pounding the steel into a compact unified shape and the other stock removal by grinding. To see the level of function and art put together reminds me about bending used in grip training and the resulting flowing scroll. It was an amazing show. Walking by the Emerson booth I remembered the ongoing competition challenge held by the now sadly passed owner to shut a number 3 gripper and get a custom knife prize. I remember the year when our departed friend Cybersnott won the prize. A good memory .......

I heard through the grapevine the guys were updating the training facility to add to its function and enjoyment for visitors for Summerstrong 7 to be held June 20-22. I hope they didn't stow the grip section away! I doubt it because I heard as well big Rich visited and pulled a "casual axle pull" of 515 for the guys.

• Like 1

Richard-

I never said you used tacky... Just mentioned that I was unaware that you had used it, when it was mentioned.

It is the light that has always burned within me, I truly love the strength a body and mind can aquire the bonds that are created through strife helping each other, many times I have been asked to start book and perhaps I should have, it has be en funny, hard, complicated , dangerous and at times a wet blanket placed on my will. It has been alight form to respect others but believe 100 percent i my will and want to. My natural testosterone levels drop and it is more difficulty you fan the fire. The sad day will be when no longer there will that fire .....will be my likley my end. Like elephants thebyougnhavepowerful abilities and huge strength and energy . Without thebteachingband example from the settled heard bulls the society turns int a Gand of ruffians with all golds and respect fort themselves and others

It'd be great to see you start a book one day :mosher

ThanksT . If I can stop multi tasking I might get my fingers and laptop working better! I still don't know what happened that day on my computer to get such an odd readout post.

I have been lucky to be interested in strength from a very early age and took pains to see for myself the historic lifting and equipment that has been made for half a century now. First hand information is SO much better. I had a friend contact me the other day that saw me do some of my best lifting on and off the platform. His memory for time, facts ,weights ,is uncanny due to his job of 40 years instructing doctors on prescribing critical medical procedures and drug interactions. I guess If he didn't have a superior memory people's lives could be in danger. It is good to hear from others the facts restated that over the years that might fade in priority in one's own personal memory.

I am still pretty beat up from a long trip,the heavy deadlifts of last Tuesday,running a business, and trying to figure out this "wonder truck "I decided to purchase. I am not a car or truck guy but this Raptor has some kind of power. The white monster 6.2 liter off road racing truck shall be called "Moby Grip" as a reminder of the great book and some fine memories. Each man seeks his white whale......

I felt pretty fresh last night and motored through the workout. Hundo a 202 lb. employee ex Marine benched raw 330 x2 355x 1 and 360 for a personal best. Darn good for a guy working all day in the heat and standing on his feet. Great spirit!

My benches went well for sets of 3 and squats in sets of 4 with lying dumbbell presses sets of 10 . 5 work sets of each. I kept work sets at same weight for all 5 sets. Lots of intensity and tonnage. With my wave type workout, sets and exercises remain pretty much the same but reps and intensity is the key to each day . Make the muscles face a new problem so they MUST adapt. Same with grip.

Triplex pull, deadlift , curls, and grip tonight. Always a tough day, but so much progress!

I now use the Thompson stretching protocol with bands each workout for about 20 minutes following my workout. Pain, tightness and lack of flexibility has reduced a huge amount. You are never too old or" smart" to learn. There are so many great people out there ,you can learn those " little tricks of the trade " from . All you have to do is actively seek it. It is like a mystery.... It is not the what it is the why that puts all the clues in order. We all see or imagine a huge finished lift or grip feat and squawk away on the web but, who takes the time and notes to what a real champion does on a daily basis to support his or her success? The little things, the order, recovery,and strengthening the " secret places".

Edited by 1stCoC

Triplex pulls, deadlifts, and heavy bar and machine curls fixed me pretty well last night. The stretching and cool down afterward is the key along with proper hydration to keep moving ahead. I find it more difficult to "go to the well "as I did in younger years and or take prolonged strain grinding extra gut reps out. I guess it is just part of the "natural process. "I heard a song this morning that stated " I am as good once now as I ever was" ......positive attitude but ,it takes work.

As an aside I appreciate any out there that take the time to ask questions on any grip or related subject as to my experience or involvement. I have always welcomed questions put forth in a constructive gentleman like manner. Find truth for yourself don't be sheep. I have been notified of allegations on various grip related subjects. Two things.... For yourself question the why not so much the what . Sadly in this society money is" the thing " for some. Follow the money chain for truth......

Now, let's start helping each other to grip better and lead productive lives loving our families and what we do.

As an aside I appreciate any out there that take the time to ask questions on any grip or related subject as to my experience or involvement. I have always welcomed questions put forth in a constructive gentleman like manner. Find truth for yourself don't be sheep. I have been notified of allegations on various grip related subjects. Two things.... For yourself question the why not so much the what . Sadly in this society money is" the thing " for some. Follow the money chain for truth......

Richard, in the last 24 hours, looks like Joe Kinney joined the IronMind Forum. Since he joined, he has made exactly one post.

Many THOUSANDS of hours have been wasted by good people, hours that could have been better spent, and yes helping us lead more productive lives, more time with our families, etc. Dozens of people have been speaking "in code" for years.

With all of that as background, here is my question: Do you think Joe Kinney faked his Certification for the Number 4 IronMind Captain of Crush Gripper?

Edited by Hubgeezer

We aren't bringing this controversy over here starting some kind of volley war between forums (history dictates THAT WILL happen) especially NOT in his thread here which is basically a training log. And, the fact you did it here makes me wonder if that is all your intention was.

So, I asked Richard to refrain comment here directly. If you want his opinion, PM him. Thanks.

In addition, I have little time right now offline from this board to waste on this "stuff." I will take swift action first and ask questions later if ANYONE brings this over here to the Gripboard.

I think it is pretty unfair to ask that question of Richard on an open forum let alone his own blog. That is the sort of thing that is best discussed man to man and off the record. Sadly usually neither happens.

2 days ago I was sitting in Boca Grande Florida. A little yuppie for this country boy but I was on a mission to do battle with the elusive Tarpon. Our captain was delayed due to a personal issue and we were sitting in a little cafe having breakfast and explaining to our waitress that we had 4 hours to kill. Another captain over heard us and took the conversation to a whole new level. I knew right away I messed up because this big mouth wannabe was going to take that info live over the airways that our captain...well known with 27 years experience and 2 American Records, stiffed us and left us sit for hours in Boca Grande. I felt bad, especially after he kept us out there for 9 hours instead of the paid for 6 and put 10 giant Tarpon on our lines...

Hub, I am in total agreement. I was glad when I heard someone did a four, I bought the video and was saddened by not getting the opportunity to visit Joe in his heyday. If I saw what I expected he would have had me as a great supporter. I am so pleased he is coming forth in his own words to enlighten and inspire the grip world. Straight forward questions and answers not mind games or third party half truths will get things sorted in pretty quick order. Good for him!

Bill and Rick, I will PM Richard. As I started this post, I see he added a post. Richard, thanks for responding.

Bill and Rick, you can review every post I personally have ever made, anywhere. You can see for yourselves I am not a "Garbage Man" in my tactics. That said, I do believe in the sanctity of one's training logs, even though this particular one is a completely unique thread. And, I understand that certain subjects degrade into conduct unbefitting to the forum. End of defensive commentary.

Last night training went well, guys were doing high intensity fairly high rep sets in bench, rows, squats and curls. I don't know if it is pride or comfort but every one (including me )squats on that big ol' 80 lb bent bar. In no time everyone's form has improved( mine as well and weight lifted has increased. I returned to my standing banjo band shoulder presses after the setup was borrowed for a show in Utah. Bench went well for me after a slow start and hit a raw, solid, paused 295. Squats were about the same but triples with 300 felt good.

I did the full hamstring and low back Thompson band stretch protocol and while it makes you look a bit silly and sweat the benefits are well worth it. Next workout will take the paired pinched old York 35s for a walk around the Horn again. Just enough work and gets your hands and grip focus working in concert.

Getting ready for Summerstrong 7 our now 3 day weekend of strength. Wonderful speakers food and events. Trying to gather what mental forces I have to "be in the mix". Live it! All our extended family of strength and grip are invited.

Starting Monday a special thank you to our grip board friends will be offered in the equipment section. Many have expressed the desire to have the machine that addresses all three aspects of finger and grip strength. A special return thanks for my upcoming birthday wishes. Pops

• Like 1

My dad was a quiet man that the whole world loved. He said based on his stint in the Army" never voulenteer" but, he was always the first to give ,help or support others. He loved sports but he was not a sportsman,he read the paper cover to cover each day and seemed like he knew about any subject. He supported my hunting, fishing ,camping,lifting and discus throwing in his own way. He never did any of these activities and even once when included in a rabbit hunt cried for taking the animals life. He never went to a contest or meet to see me but waited patiently on the porch to ask the returning kids how"Richie" did. The neighborhood kids always sat with him on the porch, he just had a kind soul. He worked , ate and slept not much more but he loved his family and baseball. His sense of duty was amazing ,seeing him pick all of us kids up at shool at lunch time to make shure they ate well,he walked to and back to work in a snow storm 6 miles when the roads were blocked. Frozen,ashen colored,and covered with snow he appeared at home that night. Not a word of complaint. He took me to every barbell company or war surplus store he could on his day off to support the passion I had for building and lifting. There was so much I should have told him but, in his own quiet way "he knew". I shall always carry his memory and example in highest regard and with love. Heaven must be glad to have him.

• Like 1

Glad to hear the contest went well in Ohio with some strong showings. Baby D ( Ms.D) attended and did quite well in setting a record or two and trying to break the world Axle lift hauling it up to knee height. Close! She probably along with Adrianne Wilson, Big Rich and a few others have a big day of lifting at Summerstrong 7.Going to hit lifting and grip medium light for the next two days and then eat , hydrate and rest for the iron party. Everyone of strength is invited for three days of learning, friendly competition ,and eating great food.

Edited by 1stCoC

Mr Sorrin, thank you for writing these posts, they arent just inspirational but grounding. Reminders, enjoy all things in life and training, grip and everything in between. I read them diligently.

• Like 1

Well, then it is all worth the effort. If you can help anyone to sort out those questions that seem to never give us rest or at least be aware we are not a lone chip floating in an endless sea we can work most things out, I was sent a simple message yesterday by National grip champ and long time supporter to what strength is really all about, Mr.Jedd Johnson. Just "how are you feeling now a year after the accident?"I know my self and innards pretty well and I wasn't sure how well I would recover or if I would still be living. You have to look at reality straight up and get your life and business straight. You need to tell it like it is with respect so ,if something does happen at least an effort to do and end things right was attempted. My recovery has come so far and my "antennas are up "to listen and gather perhaps all I have missed from others in earlier years guarded by youthful pride.

We trained well last night and my slowly building plan of at least raw pause benching at least 300 pounds was met last night. Squats on the new bar went well hitting a comfortable 350. Tonight perhaps some deadlifts and lockouts as a last shake out before some heavy lifting Saturday. The stretching is getting better every time with my range of motion increasing and tightness and low back / core tightness greatly reducing.

I saw on Facebook an interesting picture of the seemingly yard wide shoulders and back of Super D Donnie Thompson after another workout on the Brute bar as he calls it. A full , "even "imprint of the bar on the sweet spot all the way across his back from locked down even pressure. I cringe to think how much weight was being used to leave marks like that! Well over a 1000. At least the pressure has been spread out and the forward rotation torquing of other bars has be lessened for these monsters of might.

Edited by 1stCoC

Revisited an old favorite training lift last night. The guys worn out after long ,hot days withering in the heat of the shop asked to give deadlifts and triplex pulls a rest for the night and to reinforce the heads up ,shoulders down ,long arm pulls ,that finish off a big deadlift so we did lockouts. We carefully adjusted the safety straps we offer on our racks so with the addition of one or two dense ballistic mats underfoot we could line the bar up in a precise way for different height individuals. The shortest guy about 5'10 and the tallest 6'5. The bar is set as I did in my younger year max lifts with conventional stance and the bar exactly sitting in the crease above the kneecap. The body felt good and I wanted to ready myself for perhaps a good pull this Saturday .Connective tissue creaked and settled quite a bit. The bar moved 6-8" I would guess. Though being so very far from my best done in the mid 80s of (1331 lbs.no straps) a smooth ,long pull with 700 seemed to be enough for day one.

We tidied up the gym for Summerstrong 7 and had the joy of revisiting so many objects that were part of our life and history and made them available so the always interactive atmosphere of the place for new visitors is preserved. Some of the grip gear has spanned 30 years and represents some milestones in training and program development. It's all there original ,unaltered ,and ready for anyone to examine or enjoy.