Cannon | Level 2 Log

Cannon

I'm officially making another run at MM2. I've gotta spend my summer doing something. ;)

Only gripper workouts will be posted.

I'd ballpark my max around 145 right now, so there is some work to do. My best ever is a 164 Elite which I was closing prior to my MM1 cert.

First workout is tomorrow.

• Like 7

I call shenanigans!!!! This man has access to any and all grippers known to man.

J/k bro. You had better smash the mm2, and fast.

• Like 1

I look forward to reading this log, go get that MM2!

My advice: get fat :tongue

Well... I'm working on that. :D

I call shenanigans!!!! This man has access to any and all grippers known to man.

J/k bro. You had better smash the mm2, and fast.

I promise to use that power for awesome and not for evil!

Really cool to see you keeping a log and going after this. Good Luck Matt!

Matt will your training be any different going for the MM2 from when you trained for the MM1, now that you have access to a wide variety of grippers?

Matt will your training be any different going for the MM2 from when you trained for the MM1, now that you have access to a wide variety of grippers?

Slightly, yes. I plan to make extensive use of the Tetting Hybrids and also T-Rex and Megalodon for their adjustability.

awesome stuff! ive been off and on with grippers over the last couple years with my 1rm going down and back up again 15 or so pounds (depending on how long im on my hiatus), and it seems like as soon as i start messing with them again, it only takes about 3-4 weeks to get back up to par. so if your gripper training habits look anything like mine, i suspect that it wont take you more than a month or so to get back up to the 164 elite. once your closing that again, MM2 will be a cake walk.

anywho, this may come off as rambling, but im hoping it serves more as encouragement. kill it bud. word.

WORD

Interesting. I didn't really care much for the hybrids but the Silvis grippers are money.

Also if I were you, I'd be rating peoples grippers and be like, "one for you, one for me" lol

Edited by Anthony C.

I'll be watching this. I'm putting back the pieces and thinking about the MM3 wayyyy far off in the distance. planning to add in whole body work? or, is your back still pretty jacked up?

I'll be watching this. I'm putting back the pieces and thinking about the MM3 wayyyy far off in the distance. planning to add in whole body work? or, is your back still pretty jacked up?

I've been doing whole body exercise and lifting fairly regularly this year, which is one reason why my weight is up. I'm about 160-165 right now.

My back is forever jacked. I will need surgery eventually, it's just a matter of when. I'm doing everything I can to avoid that because it will be a 2-level fusion with a lousy recovery. I did just have a rather gnarly procedure last Monday. They used a big needle to penetrate into my lower two discs and basically re-inflated them slightly with steroid. It was horrendous. I screamed during the procedure (uncontrolled) and had to cry after. It just bubbled up. It was quite the experience. The doctor felt the need to exclaim, "Wow, those are some really bad discs."

The procedure can take up to 7 days to feel a difference, which is today and I have to say... my back felt pretty damn good when I woke up this morning.

wow, I had cortisone in 2 disks and it wasn't bad at all. also didn't really do anything to help me so...

so, something i have issue with is that a lot of ab work bothers it. anything youve found that hits the abs without bothering the back?

wow, I had cortisone in 2 disks and it wasn't bad at all. also didn't really do anything to help me so...

so, something i have issue with is that a lot of ab work bothers it. anything youve found that hits the abs without bothering the back?

I've also had a regular cortisone shot that did nothing for me, and it's a much more tolerable procedure. With those they are squirting cortisone in the general region, but not actually penetrating to the center of the disc. The procedure I had is more accurately called a "provocative discogram" rather than what is commonly called a "cortisone shot" or "steroid injection".

I do well with hanging leg raises if I do them slow and totally under control. Also planks are wonderful and V-ups sometimes. For those I lift my legs up at an angle then boost up my torso to touch my toes so at the top you are in a V shape with your butt on the ground. I mostly stick to those three things.

Right on, Matt! I will follow your log. It will be one of the very few grip logs I keep track of. Wishing you success on the MM2 cert down the road.

Any plans on a #3 cert?

• Like 1

Any plans on a #3 cert?

CCS really doesn't suite me well. My pinkie doesn't reach until so late and I only have a 7-5/8" hand anyway. It wouldn't be impossible or totally out of the question though. I've just never been within striking distance.

If I get to the MM2 and close that, maybe then I'll see about converting that extra horsepower into CCS.

#1 warm up

Hybrid SA x 12 reps

Hybrid SM x 2 singles, back-to-back

Light #3 x 1, closed with nice hold

Hybrid GM x 2 negative crushes, 5-6 secs each

Hybrid SM x 4 reps

>> The negative crush is essentially a negative, but the gripper doesn't open and I make sure and use a gripper that I cannot close but can hold shut or very near shut. I could almost hold the Hybrid GM shut. So it ends up basically being an overcrush on a gripper that you cannot close outright. If the gripper "pops open" more than a fraction of an inch, then it's too heavy for this. You're out of the strike zone.

• Like 2

Did some light levering last night and iced my right wrist.

One challenge for me in this push for gripper strength is to keep my right wrist calm. I've been getting tendonitis-type symptoms for a couple years now on and off. I broke my right wrist in 2 spots in high school. Probably paying for that now with a little arthritis.

A light gripper workout tonight.

Matt-

I use a product called penetrex... It's great to use before and after training. Keeps my wrist under control.

Thanks Bob.

Grippers

#1 warm up

#1 x 15

#2 x 8, 6, 6

130# SM x 2, 2, 2

Next workout Monday. Will try and close a 145 GM.

Back from vacation in New York.

I am really glad that I had no time to work out last night because today my CNS is ON TAP.

I'm typing like 1000wpm today which is a great indication that everything is all green lights.

145# gripper is going down tonight. Might even go after the Vendetta #3 if I'm feeling gnarly.

• Like 2

This workout got a little GONZO which is what I call it when suddenly my plan is out the window and I'm doing God-knows-what and basically screwing around.

Zenith Agility and #1 warm up.

#1 x10

#2 x4, x8

#2.5 x3

145#GM xMiss, x1

Vendetta 3, possible close

Zenith Agility thumb work.

I also did a lot of messing with CPW grippers.

Some video. I have been trying to find my way with Zeniths since they came out. I think this thumb work is their best function. You can move your thumb up or down to adjust the difficulty and flip the handles either way. I feel I can get a really ergonomic pinch where my thumb heads toward my ring and pinky which is ideal.

• Like 1

watching that vid it looked like maybe the gripper was a bit far back in the palm. have you tried moving it forward? it might look that way bc your hands are smaller than mine as well.