Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

After a disappointing Nationals I've regrouped and am hunting new PRs once again. My focus is to simply get better and start fulfilling my potential across the strength spectrum. Logging only grip training here, too much to list for full body stuff...

20 June

vbar work, up to 50 reps alt. hands @ 211# on 2" vbar, 10 reps alt. hands @ 250#

22 June

Did quite a lot

hang snatch w/ 2.5" barbell empty @ 100#

hang cleans w/ 2.5 barbell 1x5 @ 150#, 1x1 @ 170#, 180#, 190# (pr), 200# (got to top but couldn't get under)

one hand hang cleans 1x1 @ 115#, 125# (tried for first time) video below:

dusted off the IM little big horn messing around, pleasantly surprised!

right/left*

1x5 @ 153#, 163#, 1x3 @ 173#, 1x1 @ 178# (max left), 183#, 188#, 194,5# below video* (bolded were all new PRs)

finished with circuit, 1x5 ghp 5 w/ 20mm block, 8# sledge walk, 22lb cheese ball extensor bucket, 1x5 COC 2.5 w/ 20mm block same circuit

Overall strong night of PRs and I'm back on the PR trail after getting knocked down a few pegs at the championship..

• Like 2

Very cool log. I'm going to follow this. I'm thinking there may be some things here that will help me get stronger. And the videos are a huge help to me.

With all sincerity, Jon, I think you're being way too hard on yourself. I looked back over your results again, and aside from your left hand hammer bomb, found nothing but very solid numbers. Keep in mind, the new set of grippers weren't giving anybody freebies and the Euros were slick as snot. I'm sure you were gunning for a higher placing, but the 93k was a closely contested class of very accomplished competitors. I'm always real hard on myself, too, so I know how you're feeling, but sometimes it helps to step back and consider everything you DID accomplish.

• Like 5

Very cool log. I'm going to follow this. I'm thinking there may be some things here that will help me get stronger. And the videos are a huge help to me.

EJ thanks, that means a lot coming from a highly respected grip monster like yourself. I try to do mix it up quite a bit and have a diverse repertoire of workout material. Hopefully people can get some new ideas and perhaps learns from my successes/failures.

With all sincerity, Jon, I think you're being way too hard on yourself. I looked back over your results again, and aside from your left hand hammer bomb, found nothing but very solid numbers. Keep in mind, the new set of grippers weren't giving anybody freebies and the Euros were slick as snot. I'm sure you were gunning for a higher placing, but the 93k was a closely contested class of very accomplished competitors. I'm always real hard on myself, too, so I know how you're feeling, but sometimes it helps to step back and consider everything you DID accomplish.

Thanks Eric, I agree I hit some decent numbers. Could have squeaked out 205 on the euro if I approached things like I do in training. Very slick devices though - kept everybody's #s down. After the pinch curl I kinda threw out the game plan and bombed my left hand on the hammer. So in all respects, not a bad showing and I wasn't too worried about placing. I figured the whole class would be inches from each other.

I've learned some lessons and the main objective is to bring up my baseline strength and not worry about contest specific stuff. If the baseline is truly strong I can have a bad comp and still make huge numbers.

Thanks again for the encouraging words!

Gonna follow this one :) Keep up the good work

Some serious fatbar strength.

Did you learn to clean and snatch with a coach /at a club?

So far I'm mostly self tought. But I'm thinking about learing this properly.

I'm self taught mostly. Learned pointers along the way I always lean towards proper coaching.

I love explosive lifts, definitely my fave way to train the body and grip. My routines are inspired by Chris James... Snatch-clean-high pull-deadlift-rack pull partial. Not always all the way thru but that's generally how my workouts build. Speed to power to top end strength

Earlier today i went and picked up Blob Heaven (20#, 25#, 30#, 35.. 40# and 45# fatmans, and a 50# next gen... you know you're an addict when you are at a gas station making attempts from your trunk :laugh

warmed up with a good full workout and squats

then did my usual fatbar progressions, on the blobs.. snatches-clean-high pull-DL

worked up to a snatch of the 40# righty/35# lefty, clean on the 45# righty/DL lefty

then 2 good right hand lifts of the next gen... decided to go for that damnedest fatman that's been bolted to my floor for over a year.. and GOT it, plus the next gen again

video:

blobs/blocks have always been a weakness of mine but soon to be no longer.. very encouraging night and a nice thumb tear to ice the cake!

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

Nice job on getting the blobs!

Some very nice lifts. I'm always amazed to see these lifted. And you make it look easy. Needless to say I can't lift one, but know exactly how hard it really is. Well done.

Nice job on getting the blobs!

thanks man! that fatman is a huge monkey off my back!

Some very nice lifts. I'm always amazed to see these lifted. And you make it look easy. Needless to say I can't lift one, but know exactly how hard it really is. Well done.

i'm sure you can manhandle blobs with a bit of training... what i can't comprehend is the steel that you destroy.. i think your untapped hand strength would surprise a lot of people, including yourself

Nice score jon! And great lifts. I respect the blob....have a 35 lber that refuses to ride for me

Nice score jon! And great lifts. I respect the blob....have a 35 lber that refuses to ride for me

Thanks... Blobs are the worst. Up until yesterday, the only one I had was the fatman. It has stayed on the floor too with barely any to train it cuz it couldn't be lifted. What I have recently been doing to finally get that SOB is dragging it back and forth for distance and simple isometric squeezes. The difference last night was being able to fire the CNS with lighter blobs and the full size next gen. Those got my confidence up big time. Don't give up on your blob though, do what you can with it and it'll go for you.

• Like 1

Congrats on that fatman

thanks tank

Tonight I hit up thickbar... wrists feeling pretty zapped but i still managed a few PRs... taking the next couple days off from grip i think

warmup hang cleans 2" axle 2x6 @ 115# , to 1x10 @ 185# (PR weight for 10 reps)

hang cleans 2.5" axle 1x3 @ 190# (2 rep PR, previous best for one rep) 1x1 @ 200# (PR that i missed the other day)

DO DL 2.5" axle 3x1 @ 260#, 2x1 @ 280#, 1x1 @ 290#

standing wrist curls from vertical neutral position with RT left and right, 1x5 @ 83#, 2x3 @ 110

overhand curls w/ eagle loops only thumbs in outer loops @ 3x5 @ 55# (can put it on a video sometime if this confuses ppl)

been pretty sick..still not 100%

quick workout to get the forearms feeling alive

14# extensor bucket hold until opposite hand completes 8# hammer fingerwalk, 8x1 alt. hands

20mm block set (both hands): ghp lvl 5 (108) 1x5 , vulcan lvl 11 1x1, lvl 12 1x1, lvl 14 1x1L/1x0R (1mm)

1.5" block set (both hands): ghp lvl 5 1x1L&R, Tetting SM (122) 3x1, COC 2.5 (125) 2x1

Edited by jvance

still working with a bad sore throat, doc said not strep at least from the quick test.. ill know for sure in 2 days

got a little grip in tonight:

14# extensor bucket hold until opposite hand completes 8# hammer fingerwalk, 5x1 alt. hands (great warmup, love these!)

warmed up with singles on the 2" vbar to 206#, then completed 5x3 each hand with 2-3 second hold at top to fight rotation

ironmind big horn, up to 163#5x1 left for holds (worst 2 second/best 5 second), 173# right (worst 4 seconds/best 8)

random 20mm block sets of 3 with COC 2.5 and SM throughout workout

• Like 1

I will be following along as well, Jon. If you ever get the opportunity, please post some of the non-grip workouts. Grip is an aspect of compete strength and nice to see how everything lines up.

All the best,

Josh

I will be following along as well, Jon. If you ever get the opportunity, please post some of the non-grip workouts. Grip is an aspect of compete strength and nice to see how everything lines up.

All the best,

Josh

Thanks.. I try to align my grip work with body work as much as possible. I just won't be posting my squat routines, or pushups... things of that nature.. i would be bored reading it and i would bet most others too.

solid grip workout between squats and crunches - listing only working sets not warmups

grippers worked up to 3x1 COC 3 w/ 20mm block both hands

2" vbar 1x5 both hands @ 211#, 1x5 @ 221#, 1x5 @ 231#

2hp doubles @ 163 on 20 second intervals - 6 cycles, 1x1 @ 183# 1x1 @ 193#

made a run at my 2.75" dumbbell snatch goal of 100#

1x5 @ 68# (L/R), 1x2 @ 78# (L/R), 1x3 @ 88.9# left failed twice - last attempt good, right hand attempt @ 98.9 first barely no good, second was solid for a 6# PR, attempted 100# three times all three i couldn't quite get it all the way to the top

dropped weight back down to 78# and did 2x5 L/R, really focusing on hip drive and getting a solid second pull

130# inch trainer rows 2x5 both hands - solid day...

Took my son to the playground and did a calisthenics workout with fat grips

6x10 pullups

3x5 L seat leg raises

3x5 dips (very weak cuz of prior pec injury)

threw the RT and 3"x3" pinch block and did pullups for doubles, switching hands

swapped the RT for the IM anvil and did 2 more sets of doubles, switching hands

warmup oly bar snatches 3x2 135#

one hand oly bar power clean, singles both hands: 135#, 155#, 165#, 175# PR, 185# PR

two handed oly bar power cleans, singles: 195#, 215#, 225#, 235#

one hand oly bar deadlifts, singles both hands: 235# (straddle), 235# (front), 255# (jefferson), 275# (front), 285# (front), 300# PR (front, right hand only)

300# OHD:

stiff leg deadlifts, thumbless 2x3 @ 300#

conventional deadlifts, thumbless 2x5 @ 300#

snatch grip deadlifts 2x2 @ 300#

calluses tore up, hands felt great otherwise

Smoked :sleep

Edited by jvance
  • Like 2

Well i went ahead and confirmed what i already know... i suck at the hub

did a bench and core workout and squeezed some grippers between sets, working sets were CCS singles of GHP 5, rather easy but looking for fluid and explosive closes

broke out the IM hub and a Chris Rice made coin lift... worked up to 44 L/52 R on the hub and did 5 second holds for time with the coin, 33# 5 singles each hand

also did sledge walks and extensor bucket holds.. pretty quick and uninteresting workout lol

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

one hand oly bar power clean, singles both hands: 135#, 155#, 165#, 175# PR, 185# PR

one hand oly bar deadlifts, singles both hands: 235# (straddle), 235# (front), 255# (jefferson), 275# (front), 285# (front), 300# PR (front, right hand only)

300# OHD:

That one hand dead is no joke brother.

I couldnt do it, Im sure!

300# OHD:

That one hand dead is no joke brother.

I couldnt do it, Im sure!

Thanks Peter! i'm sure you could rather quickly

Thickbar tonight

warmup axle snatches to 135# for doubles

single arm 2" axle cleans, singles both hands; 2x1 @ 115#, 1x1 @ 135#, 1x1 @ 145#, 1x1 @ 150#, 1x1 @ 155# PR for both hands

single arm 2.75" dumbbell snatches, singles both hands; 3x1 @ 68#, 2x1 @ 78#, 2x1 @ 83#, 1x1 @ 88#, 3x1 @ 93# (left hand missed first two then good lift on last, PR)

conv. DO DL 2.5" bar, 1x1 @ 190#, 1x1 @ 240#, 1x1 @ 260, 1x1 @ 280, 2x1 @ 290#

messed around a little with blobs, nothing serious.. up to a few right hand lifts on the 50# next gen, left hand lagging but got air on the 45# fatman