Project Mm6

acorn

It's been 5 years since I closed the MM5 and over a year since I closed a 194# #4 in last years AZ comp. It has been long enough. My strength levels are way down from where they need to be to get this done but I will log my workouts as I work back up to that level and test new training tools and my current training ideologies.

Most recent level test to see where I am at was yesterday and was a 169# #3.5 close that was about at the limit.

- Aaron

• Like 11

With your background and potential you will rise very fast. Nice to see how you are going to approach this. Cool!

• Like 1

Its great that you are going after this. I'm training hard for this goal right now also. Look forward to following your progress. Good Luck Aaron.

• Like 1

Thanks for the support guys. Always tough getting back on the horse when you are not where you used to be level wise. I'm 40 now and its a bit harder but I think I still got a few good closes left in me if I can muster the motivation long enough to see it through. Got the right kind of soreness in the right places today telling me I did good work yesterday so that is a good start.

- Aaron

• Like 3

Good luck buddy! Not that you'll need it.

Thanks for the support guys. Always tough getting back on the horse when you are not where you used to be level wise. I'm 40 now and its a bit harder but I think I still got a few good closes left in me if I can muster the motivation long enough to see it through. Got the right kind of soreness in the right places today telling me I did good work yesterday so that is a good start.

- Aaron

I would have sworn you were younger than me.

Trained grippers on way home from work in the car today and a little more while my wife was reading bedtime stories to oldest tonight.

4/23/2014

Grippers - disadvantaged position against thumbpad

BH #1x10

RH 10x1 - #2 - 5sec OC's on closed. Tempo 2X05, #1x8

LH 10x1 - #1.5 - 5sec OC's on closed. Tempo 2X05, #1x8

1.5hrs later

1.5" revolving handle Thumbless hold

RH 16sec

LH 10sec

superset w/

2HP - Euro 48mm thumb tip and further down fingers

45Kg x 1 - 20sec hold

Sledge front hold horizontal - 8#

18" x 10sec, 15" x 20sec

Rear hold horizontal - 8#

18" x 20sec

Time to go wash more dishes.

- Aaron

• Like 1

Aaron, did you start closing grippers in the car again? :ohmy

Some, but not Max effort ones like in the past. Not much available time to carve out at the moment.

Great stuff Aaron! :rock

Thanks Juha!

Been experimenting some with a couple of quick thumb exercises since I really don't have the time or energy to stay on top of a decent 2HP routine right now. I think they may have merit as my thumb pads and thumb flexors in the forearm are still sporting a deep ache of good training a couple days later. Not sure what to call them and will try to get some video when I can and they are easy and quick and require no special equipment. I do them in the car commuting to work or coming home. Also started using the Armaid last night to work on the adhesions and soreness in my forearms which I have a good quantity of both right now. Bought it a couple months back but never got around to using it until now.

Lastly I forgot to mention starting point for LH grippers in the initial post. Started at Easy #3 level closing 138# #3 (#2.79) and missed on avg #3 by about 3/8". Goal for LH in this project is to close my 169# #3.5 for the first time LH. I've come very close a few years back but never closed it. Obviously first step to that will be closing Avg #3.

- Aaron

That is where I did 99% of the training for my MM1 cert.

Aaron, can you remind me how the notation on the tempo reps works?

That is where I did 99% of the training for my MM1 cert.

Aaron, can you remind me how the notation on the tempo reps works?

There is some history there for me and closing grippers in the car. One of the times I was doing KTA in my first year of gripping I would do half the workout during lunch and the other half on the way home. I Browned out while driving doing a heavy neg or something. Luckily I wasn't going fast and regained full consciousness before drifting too far out of my lane. Stopped doing them in the car driving after that.

The Tempo notation I am using is based on a group of articles Charles Polquin did on the subject.

This one describes the notation http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/646/Top_Five_Reasons_to_Vary_Tempo_in_Your_Workout.aspx

Here is the excerpt that has the definitions as well:

"In prescribing tempo, four numbers are used like this: 4210. The first number dictates the seconds it takes for the eccentric or down motion; the second number is the pause before the concentric motion, which is the third number; and the fourth number is the pause before the repetition repeats. In the case of a 4210 tempo in the bench press, it takes 4 seconds to lower the weight, there is a 2-second pause, then the weight is rapidly pushed up in 1 second and the rep starts over immediately."

So for example I used a 2X05 tempo on grippers last workout. That would be 2 sec on the Eccentric phase or opening of he gripper, X for no pause before starting concentric phase, 0 for the concentric phase which denotes explosive as possible movement, and 5 for the pause between concentric and eccentric phases denoting the 5 sec overcrush when the gripper was closed.

Hope that helps,

Aaron

Edited by acorn

You caught my interest. Good shit, maybe some of this will help me.

• Like 1

Aaron, I'm happy to see you pursuing a huge grip goal once again. I expect you will go well beyond where you were when at your peak in the past; seems like things go easier the second time around. MM3 is supposed to "separate the men from the boys" and you are going for MM6. Love it! Hope i can see you sometime in the near future my friend.

Aaron, I'm happy to see you pursuing a huge grip goal once again. I expect you will go well beyond where you were when at your peak in the past; seems like things go easier the second time around. MM3 is supposed to "separate the men from the boys" and you are going for MM6. Love it! Hope i can see you sometime in the near future my friend.

Thanks Bob, I really appreciate this. Not sure if it will be easier as I get older each year but I sure do learn more with each push. I still remember meeting you after the Woodall comp a few years ago and getting to try your Inch DB. Seems like forever ago and hope to meet up again one of these days. I have a training tool for working towards an Inch DB lift that I have mentally designed but not yet built and it was inspired watching your last few weeks of push towards your goal. I will send you out one if I ever get a chance to build a couple. Congrats again!

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
  • Like 1

Thanks Aaron, I really appreciate your kind offer and am sincerely intrigued

Always thought you made great and original equipment-like the FW handles you said helped w/ the Inch (rotating?)

Thanks Aaron, I really appreciate your kind offer and am sincerely intrigued

Always thought you made great and original equipment-like the FW handles you said helped w/ the Inch (rotating?)

Yes they were rotating 2" handles. Beastly to walk with.

• Like 1

Nothing major yesterday. Just rubber band extensors and Armaid prehab. Soreness almost gone this morning and feeling much better.

Did a couple of gripper closes yesterday afternoon. Cold no warmup just grabbed the gripper walking through the training room.

Easy BBE 159# x 2, x 2

Today I got a little workout in while kiddo's napped.

Thumbless Axle SLDL
185x5
Grippers
RH #1x10, #2x5
LH #1x10, #1.5x5
KB snatch
16kg x 20 EH
Grippers
RH Easy #3 x 3, GHP7x2, Filed #3x1, Easy #3.5x1, 173# BBE to hair, Easy #3x9 (20mm block set) -> N -> #1.5x11 (20mm block) -> N, #1 - 20sec, #1 minireps - 20sec
LH #2x3, #2.5x2 ,Easy #3x2, #2x19 (20mm block set) -> N -> #1x7 (20mm block) -> N, #T - 30sec OC, #T minireps - 40sec

1.5" Revolving Handle Thumbless DL - 160#
LH 5sec, 3sec, 0sec
RH 5sec, 8sec, 5sec

Forearms now feeling pretty smoked.

- Aaron

• Like 3

I started training everything 20mm block set too now. Actually I should say 3/4" which isn't quite 20mm.

Did some thumb work yesterday. Will do some Armaid prehab today to workout the soreness.

- Aaron