Brent's Log

barbe705

I've tried to keep a log online before and failed to keep up. I was unhappy with my results at Gripmas so, I'm hoping this helps me pull things together.

I've come to a couple of realizations about my training. I rarely make time for it at home so I need to do the bulk of it in the gym. I don't feel like humping a lot of gear to the gym so it has to be done with equipment that's already there. So here's what I've been doing for the past couple of weeks/month:

on my DE deadlift day I use a thick bar.

On my squat and dead DE and ME days I do some pinch work. Hubs, plates, block weights.

1-3 times a week at home I do grippers.

I need to add some bending and oddball stuff to get more balanced.

today was DE deadlift day.

I did 8x2 240# plus mini bands.

after the work out was finished I did 3 sets of around the world with 45# plates.

then I did 3 sets of 25# hub lifts each(MR, RP, IM)

then I found a sloped deep dish 25#. I did three single snathes for each hand. I was able to hold on to it fine. But, my hand crumbled when I flipped it over. I need to work on that.

It looks like I'm going to be at work for a late night. I'll do some extensor bands when I have dinner.

Brent

last night I did some fast closes on my heavy grips 150. A whole bunch of sets of 5. I ordered some Beef builders that should be here any day now and I know I'll go crazy when the get here so, I'm trying not to burn myself out.

brent

The Beef Builders finally arrived. I got the elite, grandmaster and supermaster. After my warmup I was able to hit the super masterclosed with a cc set.

5x1 each hand sm

5x1 each hand inverted COC #2.0

after reading the praise for the IM TUGS I've been doing some reps with my heavy grips with a pr and im set.

HG 200 3x10 left/right im/rp.

then I kept screwing around with the sm and coc 2.5 the rest of the night.

today I was able to do all of the above work sets again. I think that cleaning the SM and squeezing it several times has seasoned it some. It does seem to bind though. I'm going to be hitting the IM bands for the rest of the day.

brent

3 set around the worlds with 45# plates. Much easier this week.

3x2 snatch 25# wide shallow hub.

block weights 3x1 lap around bench 32.5#

3x3 45# hub lifts from floor. narrow deep hub.

brent

Wednesday night.

warm up

2x1 SM both hands

5x1 COC#3 both hands(R about 1cm away, left not as good)

5x1 COC#2 inverted both hands. closes or almost on all attempts

5x5 HG 200 RP and IM both hands.

37.5 hex block weight lifted with each hand between sets. 15 lifts.

IM bands for rest of evening.

thursday

thickbar rows 3x5 160#

3 around the worlds with 2 45# plates

3x5 plate curls(2 dimes) plam up

3x3 snatch 25# wide shallow hub. Made all 3 with right hand. left to about knee.

Friday night

warmup

5x1 BB SM. closes with right, almost with left.

spent the evening trying to break a piece of 1/4 x 6 cold rolled round stock. chest crush and reverse type straighten. didn't get it to break and have no idea how many reps I did. today my wrists are a little tender.

extensor bands on and off all night.

sunday

round the worlds with 45's. Very hard, my head cold has finally caught up with me.

3x3 plate curls 25#. palm down.

30# dumbell holds 3 sets to failure.

monday 1/28/08

my right wrist is sore. I've been hitting it hard for a while now.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are going to be active recovery. White extensor band and heavy grip 100 a little bit in the evening and morning. dexterty balls through the day.

wednesday

8x2 axle deadlift 240# plus mini bands.

Edited by barbe705

Thursday

warm up

super maste 2 closes each hand

GM 5x1 attempts with right ranged from .25 inch-1cm depending on rest time.

2.5 many closes that as the night wore on turned into attempts. I was watching LOST and kept giving it a go when I felt able.

green expando bands 5x20

yellow 5x10

my hands are raw from all the gripper work. no work at all friday maybe saturday.

That's sounds like a brutal workout, Brent and I too am glad Lost is back on ! I often use my spring clamps while watching TV.

.. neilkaz ..

Sunday,

The hands are still a little raw from thursdays marathom dripper session. but, strength wise they seem recovered fully.

2hand pinch with 45# plates. Started at 140. went up in 5# increments to 180#. 180 is a new pr. It was a very contolled 180 as well. I think I could have had 185-190 if I had known where I'd end up. it's been a while since I worked this.

3x3 narrow deep 25# snatch both hands.

blockweights. 32.5 hex curls 3x5 both hands.

drop passes with 25# until failure. 3 sets. I was rushing recovery through this whole workout. the third set of drop passes was only 4 or five and I started to have lots of trouble.

expando bands in the evening.

tuesday.

Warm up.

tonight I did some supersets. first I did a gripper for as long as I could keep it shut, then I lifted my 37.5# block weight with 10# added, then I curled my 32.5# block weight. rest, repeat for 5 sets.

with the left hand I was using a coc#2.5. for the right it was a bb sm.

then I did 5x1 inverted closes with a coc#2. they were about .25 inches from a close but very easy. I think I need to move up a gripper and work on my inverted set.

brent

tuesday.

Warm up.

tonight I did some supersets. first I did a gripper for as long as I could keep it shut, then I lifted my 37.5# block weight with 10# added, then I curled my 32.5# block weight. rest, repeat for 5 sets.

with the left hand I was using a coc#2.5. for the right it was a bb sm.

then I did 5x1 inverted closes with a coc#2. they were about .25 inches from a close but very easy. I think I need to move up a gripper and work on my inverted set.

brent

Sounds like a fun workout and a good change of pace. Neither your mind or your body will get bored mixing it up like this.

.. neilkaz ..

thursday

warmup

5x1 attempts. Fighting the gripper a little as it opens. RH bb gm, left hand bbsm. All attempts were .5 cm or less.

5x1 inverted closes coc2. closes or almost. I'm still having trouble getting a good set.

sledge hammer levers. 10# sledge. 5x5 front, rear, and rotations. I was choked up on the handle.

expando bands 4x10 green. 4x10 yellow. pretty much all back to back

Staurday

full highland games in cleveland in February.

after we screwed around. Pulled 180 on Rolling thunder several times after slowly working to it. Missed 185.

closed bbgm. Almost had a heart attack doing it.

quartered 3 decks of cards.

brent 3 st croix ultralit #0. CAN NOT GET THEM TO HEART.

snatched a 24# plate by the hub.

fun time

thursday,

warmup

Block weights(both hands)

5x5 32.5+5# buy the face for 5 secs.

followed by 37.5 index and middle only for 5 secs.

5 attempts each hand on grippers

bb sm left hand

bb gm right. varying degrees of success. The left is getting closer the right is still pretty far off but, getting better.

5x1 inverted each hand coc#2. off by just a hair since COC3 showed me how he sets. Very helpful. Another week and I'll need to move to the 2.5.

5x5 front lever choked 10# sledge

5x5 rear lever choked 10# sledge

5x5 rotations 10# sledge

tried to bend a 12" spike. Stall out at about 40 degrees. right where I stall out with horseshoes. FRUSTRATING

expandobands

3x10 green

3x10 yellow.

Edited by barbe705

2hand pinch with 45# plates. Started at 140. went up in 5# increments to 180#. 180 is a new pr. It was a very contolled 180 as well. I think I could have had 185-190 if I had known where I'd end up. it's been a while since I worked this.

Nice log Brent. I think you should be able to pull 190+ on the Euro-pinch next time, unless your 45s are very well-seasoned (good texture). That's a solid improvement from your 170 pinch at Gripmas.

thanks bob,

I had gotten away from training grip during my regular gym workouts. Adding it back in seems to be making a huge difference. Plus I'm really excited about training right now. That always helps.

Brent

sunday

2hp up to 170. different plates than I normally use. The thumb side was SLICK. So, I was happy with that.

plate curls 3x3. 25# + 5#. pretty hard, mostly strict.

45# hub lifts 4x1. shallow and wide, very hard

45# hub lift 3x1. narrw and deep. easy plate, but I was getting weak.

3x1 snatch 25# plate. I wish the gym had some good 35's for this.

Good workout Brent. I didn't know you were so good at hubbing. Looks like that change in plates strongly confirms your improvement w/ pinch and very good plate curls as well.

I did place an order for that "Muscle Milk" you suggested, looked like good stuff.

Good workout Brent. I didn't know you were so good at hubbing. Looks like that change in plates strongly confirms your improvement w/ pinch and very good plate curls as well.

I did place an order for that "Muscle Milk" you suggested, looked like good stuff.

I used to do quite a bit of hub lifting. The gym has a variety of 24# and 45# plates that are good for it. Something I haven't done in a while is using a 10# plate and only 2 fingers. Thumb and index, thumb and pinky, etc. I got a real feel for activating the whole hand. Plus you can really tell which part of the hand isn't working when you do whole hand work. It doesn't take too much out of you and I think it helped me quite a bit.

monday night workout.

warm up

things were felling a little "brittle" during the warm up so I decided to take it easy.

11x1 coc#2. as fast as I could. I think this was a good idea. I have to get faster on the harder grippers.

5x1 37.5 block weight. felt a little twingy in my elbow.

I guess the workout on Sunday and painting all day and again last night haven't helped my recovery any. Oh well, I'm busy until Wednesday morning. I hope things have loosened up by then. I have a set of expando bands at work to get some sets in through the day.

wednesday

plates curls 3x3 25#+5#. much better. Another week or 2 and I'll be ready for 25+10.

4 sets around the worlds 2x45#. much longer sets. I tried some negatives after. They were pretty slow. I think I'll be able to do 2 45's by the end of summer.

3x1 25# snatch(shallow wide hub) pretty easy. I think I need to add stability to my wrists and fingers at the top portion more than anything.

4x10 reverse wrist curls 30#. have really neglected wrist work. need to get back to that.