Climbing The Ladder: Yori's Training Log

Electron

7/30

Did my first RH one arm pull up. Did it back to back with a good left handed single.

You should get one on video! Would love to see it. Congrats on nailing it RH.

• Like 1

are the one arm pullups with the other arm holding the wrist or super crazy just the 1 arm and that's it?

It's the super crazy just 1 arm ones I'm talking about. I've been very, very close for a long time but can finally do a satisfying strict rep.

I think I can attribute this to heavy deadlifts.

The one arm+wrist ones, I call one hand pull ups. Definitely a source of confusion.

The one arm+wrist ones, I call one hand pull ups. Definitely a source of confusion.

...and are phenomenally easier. I think I can do 10-15 "one hand pull ups" but am MILES AND MILES away from a one arm pull up.

just wondering. and the assisted ones are a mile easier for so many reasons. something I keep meaning to try is the rafter pullups. I have the basement for it. i just never think about it when I'm actually down there.

I've tried rafters once, but couldn't get any. Maybe I should train for them but they seem pretty hard.

Matt, can you do any?

I've tried rafters once, but couldn't get any. Maybe I should train for them but they seem pretty hard.

Matt, can you do any?

The only thing I recall is that I've hung from actual rafters. That was not recently though. Also not recently I've done up to 2 pull-ups on adjustable pinch blocks I have hanging in my basement. I have "rafters" under my deck, but the bottom of the deck is 12ft off the ground. Kind of sketchy to get up there but now it's interesting me to try.

The biggest difference with the pinch block is that they hang loose so you can't use your chest to "compress" inward to help on the pinch. It was dead-hang on pure pinch strength.

8/3-C4W2D1

Today is the day my 300# DL is due.

DL

300xF

FUUUU- this is getting frustrating and I've become too obsessed with the number 300.

I'm going to deload and start training doubles again.

Also I'm eating more now.

8/5-C4W2D2

Press

75x3

85x3

95x8 (CM=120)

Plate curls with 25#x8 cheat reps BH

20 pull ups

8/3-C4W2D1

Today is the day my 300# DL is due.

DL

300xF

FUUUU- this is getting frustrating and I've become too obsessed with the number 300.

I'm going to deload and start training doubles again.

Also I'm eating more now.

Doubles seems like a good idea.

I think I'll max out on axle to see where I'm at, then I'll begin kicking ass on oly bar again.

I'd be a happy camper if I get 275 on my pipe axle. That thing is pretty slick.

That, and I'm about to start squatting bodybuilder style. I considered that perhaps my leverages aren't great for PL style squatting.

You could add a 2nd highter rep/volume deadlift day.

Maybe pull conv on that day.

OR you could go Steve Justa on your deadlift.

You haven't been pulling for that long, have you?

With highly frequent pulling you'll get 300# in no time on technique improvement alone.

You could add a 2nd highter rep/volume deadlift day.

Maybe pull conv on that day.

OR you could go Steve Justa on your deadlift.

You haven't been pulling for that long, have you?

With highly frequent pulling you'll get 300# in no time on technique improvement alone.

Thanks Chris, I've been deadlifting for around 2 years now. Started pulling seriously a half year ago.

I'm going to actually start squatting again, because i think it's similar enough to increase my DL, and also because my squats are my weakest movement by far.

• Like 1

Alright man, if you keep up with your squatting, I'll start benching again next week. We need to keep each other accountable.

Oh, and be prepared for some big quads….

• Like 1

Alright man, if you keep up with your squatting, I'll start benching again next week. We need to keep each other accountable.

Oh, and be prepared for some big quads….

Deal. Skwats are back in for me.

• Like 1

8/13-C4W3D1&2

Press

80x5

90x3

100x6 (CM=120)

75x10x2

Axle

267-PR

275-back failed at knees

275-same.

I can feel my hands are waiting for my back to get stronger still.

285 is possible if my back can cooperate.

8/16-C4W3D3

Bench

125x5

145x3

160x9 (CM=208)

135x10

Alt Curl

25# 60 reps total

Notes: bench was basically a PR, even though it ties last week.

I controlled each rep and paused properly, almost got a 10th rep in.

It was great in any case, because not too long ago 160 was my 1RM.

Grippers are getting strong!

What used to be my worst event is becoming a strength.

NEW:

-1/8 away from closing my pinktag GHP6(136). This is the final step before MM0 is attempted. If all goes well, I'll be able to block set cert with both hands.

-#2.5 feels like a toy. I'm closing it easily RH, and MMSing it LH.

-I can close the #2.5 after a training session. So my baseline strength is shooting up.

-My set is getting stronger because I'm setting for every rep. This is aggravating my shoulder so I should watch out for this and overhead press more often.

-Block setting hard grippers and MMS closing lighter grippers explosively.

-Made a hybrid program out of Matt Cannon's advice and training talks with Anthony. Thanks guys!

• Like 2

MMO is not a block set. MMS or parallel set. just a heads up. and start practicing filming gripper closes now. for a lot of guys getting a vid is harder than closing the gripper.

Thanks Brent. I'm aware that a MMS is legal but I practice block so much that it's about on the same level for me.

Also, it's easier to judge and I'll know for sure if I get it.

Also I'll try and take a good #2.5 close for practice. I have some practice so I hope the vid will be smooth.

How close were you on the 300lb deadlift? If you got it at least 6" up, I think you should have gone for it the next week. I managed a 15lb jump by missing one week then trying again the next. At this stage, I think you can go heavy every week until you're almost 100lb stronger. For example, you could probably increase your pull to 350lb without really "deloading" I would think.