Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

I always think that it's the days where you don't feel like training or are having a bad session that really set apart people who succeed in reaching their goals and those who never quite get there. Keep grinding!

4 hours ago, patrickmeniru said:

I always think that it's the days where you don't feel like training or are having a bad session that really set apart people who succeed in reaching their goals and those who never quite get there. Keep grinding!

Thanks buddy. I am happy to report I did in bounce back with last night's workout by setting a post surgery deadlift PR. Here is the workout minus the warm ups as always:

Deadlifts

250 lbs = 3x

290 lbs = 3x

325 lbs = 8x. This felt really good and I had at least 2 more reps in the tank but I decide to stop since it was already a post surgery PR. :cool

Standing Overhead Barbell Press

125 lbs = 4x - was only suppose to do 3 but my buddy was talking to me and I forgot to stop pressing.

140 lbs = 3x

160 lbs = 4x - I has at least 2 more left but my right shoulder has been acting up and felt a little strange on the 4th rep so I stopped. I also didn't properly warm up since I forgot while talking in between sets. 

Bent Over Barbell Rows

135 lbs = 3 sets of 10 reps. I haven't done this consistently in a while. I have been taking the quick and easy way out by using the row machine. I want to change that. Starting off light for now to dial in the form. 

Skull Crushers

75 lbs = 10x

85 lbs = 2 sets of 10x

1 Arm Machine Preacher Curls

3 sets of 10x each arm

Lying Hamstring Curls

3 sets of 10x

Resting tonight to go to my parents house after work for my mom's birthday, But its right hand grippers Saturday! 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Was suppose to train yesterday but I had a horrible headache that stopped me from training so it got pushed today. 

AB Machine

4 sets of 20x

Calf Raises on the Leg Press

4 sets of 20x

Right Hand MMS Grippers

182 lb RB 330 = 1x

186 MM3 = 1x

186 MM3 = miss

182 RB 330 = miss. Probably would have gotten if I attempted it before the second MM3 attempt.

174 RB 280 = 8 singles.

bummed I couldn't get the second single with the MM3 but next time I will attempt the second RB 280 first instead. Still increased my work output by hitting the 174 for 8 singles and not going any lower. That is all that matters, increasing the work out anyway possible. Some back extensions and push ups in between sets to keep the cns awake. 

Silvis Frankenstein Right Hand

15 singles - I increased the level and it was perfect. The last one was really tough. Need to measure to keep track for next time.

RBA Adjustable Right Hand Negatives

5x each hand with 10 second holds

2.5 inch crusher deadlifts 

did 4 singles, 3 doubles and 3 triples with each hand. Didn't bring my notepad but the singles were 120 lbs left hand and 115 lbs right hand (gripper fatigue). Then I dropped slighty for the doubles and triples. Notepad next time to keep better track. 

1 Arm Cable Rows with 2.5 inch crusher

60 lbs = 3 sets of 8-10 each hand

1 Arm Lat Pulldowns with 2.5 inch crusher

70 lbs = 3 sets of 8-10 each hand 

Extensor 

IM Red Band = 3 sets of 70x each hand.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Was suppose to train yesterday but I had a horrible headache that stopped me from training so it got pushed today. 

AB Machine

4 sets of 20x

Calf Raises on the Leg Press

4 sets of 20x

Right Hand MMS Grippers

182 lb RB 330 = 1x

186 MM3 = 1x

186 MM3 = miss

182 RB 330 = miss. Probably would have gotten if I attempted it before the second MM3 attempt.

174 RB 280 = 8 singles.

bummed I couldn't get the second single with the MM3 but next time I will attempt the second RB 280 first instead. Still increased my work output by hitting the 174 for 8 singles and not going any lower. That is all that matters, increasing the work out anyway possible. Some back extensions and push ups in between sets to keep the cns awake. 

Silvis Frankenstein Right Hand

15 singles - I increased the level and it was perfect. The last one was really tough. Need to measure to keep track for next time.

RBA Adjustable Right Hand Negatives

5x each hand with 10 second holds

2.5 inch crusher deadlifts 

did 4 singles, 3 doubles and 3 triples with each hand. Didn't bring my notepad but the singles were 120 lbs left hand and 115 lbs right hand (gripper fatigue). Then I dropped slighty for the doubles and triples. Notepad next time to keep better track. 

1 Arm Cable Rows with 2.5 inch crusher

60 lbs = 3 sets of 8-10 each hand

1 Arm Lat Pulldowns with 2.5 inch crusher

70 lbs = 3 sets of 8-10 each hand 

Extensor 

IM Red Band = 3 sets of 70x each hand.

Do you do "regular" reps on that Frankenstein gripper or do you also sometimes do holds; negatives, and beyond-the-range attempts?

Just regular reps with the Frankenstein for now Paul

• Like 1

nice and sore today. Need to get serious and make a plan until July. I'm pretty analytical with my training and log helps me see if my plan is working. So here is the workout schedule I will try to stick to until the comp:

Tuesday/Thursday = 5/3/1 lifting program. 

Saturday = grippers/Pinch

Sunday = Thick bar/Wrist

Its the best plan I could figure out that works with my schedule. My body responses well to punishment. Gotta stick to the plan and make sure I don't miss too many workouts. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Pretty good workout overall tonight. Here it is without the warm ups:

Smith Machine Squats

250 lbs - 5x

280 lbs - 3x

310 lbs - 3x. Left some in the tank. Good enough. As long as I keep improving. Thighs are looking bigger and ankle feels strong.

Bench Press

200 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 3x

250 lbs - 3x. Even though I didn't feel any problems. My left pec and right shoulder are on my mind so I stopped here. Dam bicep tear has made me paranoid. I'll keep ramping up slowly.

Decline Dumbbell Bench Press

81.5 lb DB - 2 sets of 10 reps and 1 set of 15 reps. Brought in my own loadable db handles since the work gym only goes to 75s. More weight next since I went up to 15x last set.

Lat Pulldowns 

3 sets of 10x

Rear Laterals

20 lb DBs - 3 sets of 10 reps

Tomorrow I get sworn in to practice law in NY. I believe in finishing what I start. In January I start studying to be a certified internal auditor. I'm already a CPA. I also do this crazy sport......I must really enjoy punishment. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Tonight's workout minus the warm ups as always:

Deadlifts

270 lbs - 5x

305 lbs - 3x

340 lbs - 5x. I wanted more but energy was on the low end. Good enough

130 - 5x

150 - 3x

165 - 4x

Bent Over Barbell Rows

155 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Skull Crusher/Smith Machine Close grip Press Superset

75/135 - 10x/10x

85/185 - 10x/8x

95/185 - 8x/8x

Single Arm Dumbbell Preacher Curls

30 lb DB - 10x each arm

35 lb DB - 10x each arm

40 lb DB - 10x each arm

Lying Hamstring Curls

3 sets of 10x

Office Holiday Party tomorrow night. 

Edited by Chez

Tonight's workouts minus the warm ups as always:

Deadlifts

270 lbs - 5x

305 lbs - 3x

340 lbs - 5x. I wanted more but energy was on the low end. Good enough

130 - 5x

150 - 3x

165 - 4x

Bent Over Barbell Rows

155 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

Skull Crusher/Smith Machine Close grip Press Superset

75/135 - 10x/10x

85/185 - 10x/8x

95/185 - 8x/8x

Single Arm Dumbbell Preacher Curls

30 lb DB - 10x each arm

35 lb DB - 10x each arm

40 lb DB - 10x each arm

Lying Hamstring Curls

3 sets of 10x

5 hours ago, Chez said:

Yeah baby. Make sure they can't take pictures that could compromise your further live man. :rock

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geralt said:

Yeah baby. Make sure they can't take pictures that could compromise your further live man. :rock

• Like 2

Some good and bad in today's workout. I was suppose to train yesterday but I felt like hell so pushed it to today:

Lower Ab machine

4 sets of 20

Leg Press Calf Raises

4 sets of 20

Left Hand MMS Grippers

172 lb coc 3.5 - 2 singles

165 lb elite - 3 singles

149 lb coc 3 - 3 triples

149 lb coc 3 - 1 double

- felt super weak on these and on top of it my technique felt off. pinky was in the wrong place constantly. I was just plain off today. So strange since I PRed lefty last time. My left is much less consistent than my right and always has been. Also dealing with some cracked skin on my set fingers which isn't helping. Oh well

Silvis Frankenstein Left Hand

15 singles

RBA Negatives Left Hand

5 negs with 10 second holds

Flask 1 hand pinch

71 lbs - 4 singles each hand

63.5 lbs - 3 doubles each hand

56 lbs - 3 triples each hand

slightly more weight than last time on these. I'll add even more next time.

2 inch pinch block 1 hand cables rows

20 lbs - 3 sets of 8 reps each hand

2 inch pinch block 1 hand Lat Pulldowns

20 lbs - 3 sets of 8-10 reps each hand

30 lbs - 1 sets of 8-10 reps each hand

Thumbscrews dynamic pinch

3 sets of 15 reps each hand

2 guys at the gym saw me training and asked me about grip strength. I like introducing people to it. I let them try some grippers and told them to check out cannon power works. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Can't sleep as usual. I was going to log today's workout tomorrow but I might as well be a productive insomniac. Here is what I did today:

Bench Press

175 lbs - 5x

200 lbs - 5x

225 lbs - 7x. Left pec feels fine now but the right shoulder is still acting so I'm holding back still. I may sub this out for smith Machine bench for a while to finally let it recover. I'm not super worried since my presses have always responded quickly when healthy and this issue happened before and rest took care of it. Its my squat and deadlift that has always sucked due to multiple leg issues but they are the raise now and they are priority because of bast struggles.

Smith Machine Squats

225 lbs - 5x

255 lbs - 5x

290 lbs - 7x

Incline Smith Machine Bench Press

225 lbs - 2 sets of 8x

205 lbs - 7x. Fatigue caught up with me

Lat Pull Downs

150 lbs - 3 sets of 8-10

Rear Laterals

20 lb DBs - 3 sets of 10

on a personal note I'm getting laser surgery on my face tomorrow. I use to have real bad acne but went on the strongest meds for it twice to knocked it down to normal. I have scaring from it though which still makes me self conscious. Since my health has improved (have better control over my food allergy), I have been on a self improvement mission. I bought a whole new wardrobe for work to dress the part of "manager" and now I finally want to get this surgery. These little things are important in life. This will be the first of 3-4 treatments. I will probably push my usually second lifting session to the weekend since there will be some redness etc right after. Don't want to be walking around like phantom of the opera 😜.

Edited by Chez

Are you using your cell late at night?  It can affect your sleep.  I generally shut mine off at 8 to avoid the effects.

25 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Are you using your cell late at night?  It can affect your sleep.  I generally shut mine off at 8 to avoid the effects.

I do. I Actually got my first smart phone this year. I use to make fun of people who were constantly on their phones and now I'm one of them haha. I know electronics keep up because of the light and they activate the brain. I have tried cutting back. Unfortunately poor sleep runs in my family and its been an issue before I ever had a smart phone. All the men in my family have this issue. My uncle take prescription medication for it. I have trouble shutting my brain off. I think about stuff way too much. I need to do a better job compartmentalizing stuff. I'm working on it and since my health has improved it has gotten better.  

• Like 2

Here is yesterday's workout:

Deadlifts 

240 lbs - 5x

280 lbs - 5x

315 lbs - 7x. Got keep working on these.

115 lbs - 5x

135 lbs - 5x

155 lbs - 7x

Barbell Rows

155 lbs - 3 sets of 10x

1 arm preacher machine curls

3 sets of 8x each arm

Close grip smith machine bench press

185 lbs - 3 sets of 8-10x

right hand grippers

this was the frustrating part of the workout. I worked up to a 186 lb close and then it went to hell. The gym and grippers were cold and I think it effected my hands. Got some closes with lower grippers after. Went to the Frankenstein but the screw was stripped. Dammit. Did a Few RBA negatives but I was already pissed so I called it a day.

Edited by Chez

Grip work felt much better today:

AB Machine

3 sets of 20x

Calf Raises 

3 sets of 20x

Hamstring Curls

3 sets of 10x

2.5 inch crusher 1 hand deadlifts

127 lbs - 4 singles left and right

117 lbs - 3 doubles left and right

107 lbs - 3 triples left and right

Felt real good. More weight next time

2.5 inch crusher 1 hand cable rows

70 lbs - 8x right and left

80 lbs - 2 sets of 8x right and left

2.5 inch crusher 1 Arm lat pull down 

80 lbs - 8x right and left

70 lbs - 2 sets of 8x right and left. Grip was getting tired so I dropped

Levering to front

9 lb bar - 3 sets of 8x right and left

Levering to rear

9 lb bar - 3 sets of 8x right and left

Sup/pron

light bar - 3 sets of 10x right and left

strict plate wrist curls

10 lb + 5 lb plates - 3 sets of 10x right and left 

strict reverse plates wrist curls

5 lb plate - 3 sets of 10x right and left 

On 12/15/2016 at 3:36 PM, Chez said:

I do. I Actually got my first smart phone this year. I use to make fun of people who were constantly on their phones and now I'm one of them haha. I know electronics keep up because of the light and they activate the brain. I have tried cutting back. Unfortunately poor sleep runs in my family and its been an issue before I ever had a smart phone. All the men in my family have this issue. My uncle take prescription medication for it. I have trouble shutting my brain off. I think about stuff way too much. I need to do a better job compartmentalizing stuff. I'm working on it and since my health has improved it has gotten better.  

A couple of quick thoughts on sleep - obviously sounds like there are hereditary issues at play here, but I suspect that making the right environmental changes will help. I also used to have a hard time falling asleep and also having low quality sleep (waking often) and some things that are easy to implement that helped me (especially the first two) are:

1. Getting earplugs. It took me a while to find a brand that I liked so I found them a little uncomfortable to start but even though I thought my flat is pretty quiet, these makes a huge difference for me. Essential for me in summer when I have the window open, even now when the windows are mostly closed these really help me to fall asleep more quickly and most noticeably I don't wake up in the night anywhere near as often - I really like the Hearos ultimate softness series, as they are the most comfortable ones I've tried and cost very little - less than $10 for four pairs, which should last several months.
  2. Making sure your bedroom is properly dark, trying to cover any lights coming from electronics on standby etc. - again this was a really big improvement for me, the blinds in my flat are terrible and let a lot of light through, I hung a blanket over the window and immediately noticed an improvement.
  3. Having your room at the right temperature, usually this is a little cooler than you might think although obviously if you have someone else in the bed then their feelings on the matter need to be taken into account! (Especially as girls tend to want to be a little warmer).
  4. Trying to avoid blue light right before bed - TV, phones, laptops etc - this can be tricky, but there are free to install apps that reduce blue light coming from your screen after sunset (screen will gradually turn slightly orangy/red during the evening - this autoregulates through the seasons and you can chose the intensity of the blue light reduction etc.) - for me it's been hard to tell if this has made a difference, but it requires almost no effort at all so it's something I use.
  5. Finally, probably the hardest to implement is trying to find the time to consciously relax right before bed. I've started doing some very slow paced yoga for 15 mins right before I get into bed - mostly for mobility but an ancillary benefit is that the focus on breathing and relaxing into the stretches puts me in a good mindset for dropping to sleep - often I feel like I don't have time to do this, but usually the fact I fall asleep quite a lot faster helps to make up for the delay in getting into bed.  The other thing I used to do before I started the yoga stuff was just to walk home from work (I often have to work pretty late, so walking home after having eaten etc. in the office) instead of taking a cab/train, it took an extra 15 mins or so but it let me listen to some relaxing music and mull-over any thoughts I had so that when I got home I was ready to hop into the shower and go right to bed.

I can't guarantee that any of the above will help you, but the first three have definitely helped me a lot, and I think that the other two have probably helped but not hard to tell. At any rate, whether you choose to take any of the steps above or none at all, hope you are able to find a solution!

• Like 2

Good points Pat. I have been working on them but what also doesn't help, is my girlfriend recently started snoring loudly the last couple months. :angry:. Another big thing for me is drinking way too much coffee. I was good at one point and substituted with Tea but I have been bad again these last couple months. Lots of stress and responsibility at work has made me abuse coffee again.  

Edited by Chez

I do all the things mentioned by Patrick above including the earplugs and pretty load white noise generator in our room, plus half a Trazadone and a Magnesium Citrate pill before bedtime. I'm sleeping well every night now for the first time in my life. I have same issues as you man, Brain just doesn't want to shut down, even if I am not actively thinking about anything.

- Aaron

• Like 1

3 hours ago, acorn said:

I do all the things mentioned by Patrick above including the earplugs and pretty load white noise generator in our room, plus half a Trazadone and a Magnesium Citrate pill before bedtime. I'm sleeping well every night now for the first time in my life. I have same issues as you man, Brain just doesn't want to shut down, even if I am not actively thinking about anything.

- Aaron

I think our brains are just too powerful Aaron :D

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Time to log last night's workout:

Bench Press

185 lbs - 3x

210 lbs - 3x

240 lbs - 5x. Holding back still but I pushed a little more.

Smith Machine Squat

240 lbs - 3x

270 lbs - 3x

305 lbs - 6x. I had more but that was good enough.

Lat Pulldowns

160 lbs - 3 sets of 8x

Decline Dumbbell Bench Press

86.5 lb DBs - 3 sets of 10x

Rear Laterals

20 lb DBs - 10x. That felt crazy easy. Time to move up. 

25 lb DBs - 2 sets of 10x. Felt so smooth

tomorrow is deadlifts. Getting out of work early and I'm exciting to keep working on my deadlifts! Still feels weird saying and thinking that since just recently I dreaded them because of my shitty ankle which is now strong 💪 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Smith Machine Squat

240 lbs - 3x

270 lbs - 3x

305 lbs - 6x. I had more but that was good enough

When I was fully into power lifting many moons back when I was in college, I used to do squats on the Smith Machine as a change up from doing regular free weight squats on the power rack; what I liked about squats on the Smith Machine was that I felt it gave my quads an even better workout than the free weight squat did....mainly because with the machine setup, your "form" is very upright and strict when compared to regular barbel squats where one can "lean' over more to get different leverage.  

Kind of brings a smile to my face as I remember my glory days of yesteryear!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paul Markowski said:

When I was fully into power lifting many moons back when I was in college, I used to do squats on the Smith Machine as a change up from doing regular free weight squats on the power rack; what I liked about squats on the Smith Machine was that I felt it gave my quads an even better workout than the free weight squat did....mainly because with the machine setup, your "form" is very upright and strict when compared to regular barbel squats where one can "lean' over more to get different leverage.  

Kind of brings a smile to my face as I remember my glory days of yesteryear!!!

Thanks bud, I have noticed my quads are definitely getting bigger and that is probably the reason. I do stand up straighter in the machine. I lift during the week with my buddy from work at the gym we have in the building. Its only 5 bucks a month for us but I also belong to another commercial gym around the corner of my place for weekend training which is also cheap ($20/month). There are some set backs to the work gym like they don't have a free weight squat rack but the smith machine is def getting me stronger.  

• Like 2

It's good to train what feels better and not what you are 'supposed' to do. I have squatted many cycles for long (still hate them) but my legs weren't getting much stronger. Now I have incorporated one legged split squats. And pistols.

The burn is sensational and makes my quads after training very sore. Never experienced that with regular back squats. When I test my legs with the backsquats, I am stronger now. 

• Like 2