Chains

Cannon

What kind of chains do people get for lifting with chains...?

I'm assuming it doesn't really matter but is there a certain kind that is cheap and heavy, or something specific to search for on Craigslist?

I use 5/8" chains on bench, and sometimes squat. I have a hook and clip I use to loop it around the barbell ... not sure exact size, but everything I use I got at Home Depot. It took me awhile before I got it like I wanted, and it turned into a lot of trial-and-error.

• Like 1

What do you plan to use them for?

You can get decently heavy chains at most hardware stores. Sometimes mom & pop shops have better deals because they don't sell very much.

You can play with the force curve a bit to get them good for you as opposed to a heavier chain that won't be as adjustable.

I am not sure about craigslist but if you know somewhere that repairs, makes, or moves heavy machinery ask around. Chains have to be replaced after a certain amount of wear which won't affect your purpose.

There is always the scrap yard.

• Like 1

If you live in logging country just search for logging chains, they are thick and often 100' so you can cut it down to fit you needs.

• Like 1

Check military surplus stores, or auto parts places for trailer chains. Trailer chains are pretty heavy and cheap, plus a nice bonus when you get the hooks off the ground

Got mine at tractor supply. Some PL sites sell them too, price is typically OK, shipping - not so much ;)