Quest For Gripstrength Starting With Gripper #3

Geralt

Came home from work and immediately went into gripwork. Coming days I have not much room to do griptraining and that makes me also a bit rushed mentally. Mostly not the best sessions but that's the deal with life.

Monday a good backmassage, looking forward to that.

After warming up with Vulcan and BW squats:

Several sets of double CCS attempts IM#3 (142lbs), but I wasn't on my best strength today. Got the first rep, but just, second reps misses,

BBE hold attempt with dogleg much further behind;

Lefty in the meantime many sets of dumbbellifts with FG Extreme @50kg.

Pullingwork/bicepcurls with Manusgrips (blue) attached to V handle, keeping the handle upright, pulling a loadingpin up with carabiners in the bottomcorner of the handle, instead of through the hole. This also hits the Radial wrist position and moving. Very tough also on the biceps brachi next to the elbow. Went from 30kg down with dropsets;

Standing wristcurls in front of me DO in the squatrack. Flexing the wrists and keeping the wrist in the highest possible flexed position for at least 2 seconds per rep. Dropsets from 90kg and down.

Thumbscrews on Vulcan, couldn't hold a pen anymore after this.

• Like 1

Decided it's time for a rest week.

Some testing of cold CCS strength, since I am resting from other training this week.

With cold I mean just a few light closes with my Vulcan and no other CNS activating stuff.

3 x 1 IM#3 CCS attempt, all miss, very near few mm (153 lbs cpw)

1 x 1 IM#3 CCS close or very very very near (142 lbs cpw)

The dogleg is just that much more further in my palm. That's the whole thing. Just need to recalibrate my hands.

Saturday or so I will concentrate on closing power.

Bought a pair of squatshoes! Adidas powerlift 2.0.

• Like 1

Good on the shoes! Ive been using them too since a few months. Definitely nice for squatting and bench, and all the grip stuff. DLifts I still do bare footed.

• Like 1

You do high bar squats?

I've tried for 2 years oly shoes but the did not work for me.

Bought a pair of squatshoes! Adidas powerlift 2.0.

Hey I was contemplating buying these for squatting. Let me know how they work out for you!

I will let you guys know, hope to receive them soon. I do low bar squats btw. When I start training again I will start using bigger weight so will see how it feels than.

I'm also a low bar squatter. An elevated heel did not work for me because when you squat low bar you normally don't want you knee to be pushed forward. A low bar squat is hamstring (posterior chain) dominated and to maximum hamstring force you need to lengthen the hams. An elevated heel prevents just that to happen.

A solution for this is to create a more hybrid style squat. A bar position in between a low bar and high bar position so you can maintain a more upright position. It creates different bio-mechanic patterns but these are more ideal when you squat with a high heel.

• Like 1

Thnx, experimenting is everything with this. I also notice difference in setup when doing 20 reps squats compared to heavier lifting. Got my shoes today! Size didn't fit. Thought I had chosen the right size. Returning these. Just ordered a new pair, hopefully these will fit my big feet better. Got 10% discount now, gooood. good.

Last wednesday after noting my gripperwork here in my log, I also repped out with my filed IM#1: 1 x 40, 1 x 30, 1 x 22. (all TNS), after some IM#3 CCS attempts.

Today bloody hot over here, but still wanted to do some gripperwork to maintain my groove. Obviously twice a week grippers isn't my thing but now and then you've got to try something.

TNS warming up with Vulcan;

Today few sets of singles IM#2.5 TNS, closed them, but just.

Wristwork with dumbbell loaded on one side and thumbscrews on Vulcan.

Next week I will focus on reps with the 2.5 TNS. Want to be able to hit 5 clean TNS reps again before I go further. Makes for some lighter work in intensity but still works programming the ROM I want. I am not afraid that I will lose my topstrength MMS, mostly it stays in the same area around my 169 BBE. Good enough for now.

• Like 1

Today bloody hot over here

Hats of for training in this heat. I haven't got any energy at all.

Today bloody hot over here

Hats of for training in this heat. I haven't got any energy at all.

Only grippers Roy, and not at the intensity I usually have. Other training complete rest this week. Maybe next week also. Sometimes it's good for me to do that, specially with this weather.

First workout after restweek of regular training. Still hot in my garage, last week much warmer so the timing was just right.

Doing a lot of figuring out what my best stance is, bar placement etc. FIlming my sets and trying to get things coming together in my setup. Simple thing you know, like looking down instead of up etc. My hips tend to shoot up fast while my torso stays level too long. Adjusting that.

Backsquat :

2 x 10 : bar

1 x 8 : 50 kg;

1 x 6 : 90 kg;

1 x 3 : 100 kg;

1 x 2 : 110 kg;

1 x 1 : 120 kg;

5 x 1 : 130 kg.

Box squats:

3 x 6 @90kg, trying to be explosive as possible. Probably still a bit too heavy, my ass comes up much faster than I can get my torso moving.

Trapbar DL:

From deficit,

1 x 5 : 55kg;

1 x 3 : 95kg;

1 x 2 : 135kg;

No deficit:

1 x 2 : 150kg;

4 x 1 : 175kg. Also, trying to be as explosive as possible.

Horizontal bodyweight pulls with feet on bench and V-handle attached to bar in squatrack;

1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 5

Light bicepwork afterwards for a pump.

Abs.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 3

First workout after restweek of regular training. Still hot in my garage, last week much warmer so the timing was just right.

Doing a lot of figuring out what my best stance is, bar placement etc. FIlming my sets and trying to get things coming together in my setup. Simple thing you know, like looking down instead of up etc. My hips tend to shoot up fast while my torso stays level too long. Adjusting that.

Backsquat :

Box squats:

3 x 6 @90kg, trying to be explosive as possible. Probably still a bit too heavy, my ass comes up much faster than I can get my torso moving.

Trapbar DL:

From deficit,

No deficit:

Horizontal bodyweight pulls with feet on bench and V-handle attached to bar in squatrack;

1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 5

Abs.

Not sure if I have mentioned this to you before, but i read somewhere (and it is true at least for me) that if you jump up into the air and land in a squatted position, your feet will naturally go to the stance that is best suited for you to do back squats in.

Your body somehow just knows what to do.

• Like 1

Backsquat :

Box squats:

Trapbar DL:

From deficit,

No deficit:

1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 5

Abs.

Not sure if I have mentioned this to you before, but i read somewhere (and it is true at least for me) that if you jump up into the air and land in a squatted position, your feet will naturally go to the stance that is best suited for you to do back squats in.

Oh man so many times you pointed that out. It's getting boring. Remove thyself from my log lol

I tried this after I read this and every time I come down about shoulder with. About the same as what I did today, maybe a little wider. Read about people with long femurs better try wider stance, but this makes the whole movement feel very unnatural for me.

Thnx for the tip Anthony

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Backsquat :

Box squats:

Trapbar DL:

From deficit,

No deficit:

1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 5

Abs.

Oh man so many times you pointed that out. It's getting boring. Remove thyself from my log lol

I tried this after I read this and every time I come down about shoulder with. About the same as what I did today, maybe a little wider. Read about people with long femurs better try wider stance, but this makes the whole movement feel very unnatural for me.

Thnx for the tip Anthony

lol sorry man

• Like 1

Upload the video's of your squats and post them here can help you to get some different insights about your technique.

• Like 1

Hey man...just how hot does it get over there? and for how long?

Upload the video's of your squats and post them here can help you to get some different insights about your technique.

Thnx man, will do that in time, posted some vids on Dieselcrew and some ther groups a while ago through FB, got some good pointers, I will post a vid soon. Trying to work with lower volume for a few weeks, as a good mix up after 20 rep squats last cycle.

Hey man...just how hot does it get over there? and for how long?

Well, over here we had a few days of around 38 degrees Celcius, which would be -looks in conversion table- 100.4 Fahrenheit. It was a very 'dry' heat. Temperature dropped fast however yesterday evening, should be better now coming days. It only was for a day or 4, but it just went from chilly to boiling temperature. That's how it goes over here. No time for adjusting. Edited by Geralt

Sore legs from Monday, mostly after squatting I have very sore thighs (inner side of legs) and not so much quads, although I feel these too. Wonder if more people experience this.

Wanted to do standing pressing outside tonight but the weather didn't allow for that.

First shoulder workout in a while, doing all movements very strict and slow eccentric.

Seated barbell shoulderpress in squatrack:

Thorough warming up;

3 x 5 @ 55 kg (trying to up the weight every week);

2 x 8, 1 x 6 @ 40kg behind the neckpress, only not lower than with upper arms parallel to the ground;

Lateral raises with light dumbbells;

Facepulls and rear shoulder work with rubber bands;

Skullcrushers 3 x 8 @ 30kg.

Ab work but was disturbed by dog and kids lol also, ab wheel is not a good idea after push and tricep work.

Warming up with Vulcan, few TNS closes. Also warming up with wristwork, rotations with steelbar.

Working:

IM#2.5 (regular, not filed) 1 x 1 TNS

1 x 2 CCS width (focus on overcrushing last rep)

1 x 3 CCS width (3rd could be a miss, had to squeeze really hard)

1 x 1 CCS width with timed hold.

IM#3 (153) 1 x 1 MMS close and hold for time (9 secs)

1 x 1 MMS forced close and hold, 5 secs.

Wide setwork is killing for endurance. Kills my hands very quickly.

Later this day some thumbwork and extensors.

Edited by Geralt

Warming up with Vulcan, few TNS closes. Also warming up with wristwork, rotations with steelbar.

Working:

IM#2.5 (regular, not filed) 1 x 1 TNS

1 x 2 CCS width (focus on overcrushing last rep)

1 x 3 CCS width (3rd could be a miss, had to squeeze really hard)

1 x 1 CCS width with timed hold.

IM#3 (153) 1 x 1 MMS close and hold for time (9 secs)

1 x 1 MMS forced close and hold, 5 secs.

Wide setwork is killing for endurance. Kills my hands very quickly.

Later this day some thumbwork and extensors.

Afternoon: filled up with:

IM#3 2 x 2 MMS (142) as explosive as possible;

IM#2 (filed) TNS 1 x 8 Fast closes, slow open;

IM#1 (filed) TNS AMRAP

Wristcurl palms up, dumbbell 1 x 10 @ 10kg;

3 x 10 @ 20kg;

Wristcurl palms down 3 x 10 @ 5 kg

Wristcurl radial, DB loaded on one side with 3 kg AMRAP

Expand your hand bands, till complete burning sensation.

What thumbwork did you do? Are wrist curls thumb work?

Nope thumbscrews, whch I forgot to mention, finished the workout with these on the Vulcan.

Day off from work today because of the kids' summervacation. Ended up cleaning up the attic, and had a lot of work with that.

After that I wanted to get my training in so that I had the evening for myself. Don't know what was wrong but everything felt extremely heavy. Probably did too much during the day or something.

Squats felt freakishly heavy, got up to 4 singles @ 135kg, ended with 3 x 5 @ 100kg but it felt like I had a bulldozer on my back.

Skipped Trapbar deadlift, was very dissapointend with my squats.

Did some bodyweight rows and dumbbell rows. Ended with abs, but couldn't get the fire burning. One of those days.