Coc, Single Stamp Grippers

mightyjoe

Joe-

I had a silver crush trainer. Got mine after the coc article in ironman magazine may '92. Still have my Ironmind catolog from '92 ... The trainer is there. They did call them silver crush for a bit, but changed that after the steel handles, I believe.

In the catalog there is a photo of the Trainer with a chrome spring and chrome handles? ? ?

It seems you have some internal turmoil over the fact that there was a chrome trainer? I'm sure there wasn't many. A couple of months later my no.1 broke, and I got the backward spring no.1 replacement. So, they were in transition.

Thanks fellas. I needed to figure out what I have before I sale them since accurate identification should be expected by interested buyers. Question answered; thanks again.

Joe-

I had a silver crush trainer. Got mine after the coc article in ironman magazine may '92. Still have my Ironmind catolog from '92 ... The trainer is there. They did call them silver crush for a bit, but changed that after the steel handles, I believe.

In the catalog there is a photo of the Trainer with a chrome spring and chrome handles? ? ?

There was no stampings on the handle ends with chrome steel handles. So how do you know it's a Trainer?

Does it state it directly out of the catalog? Would you please post a pic from the 1992 catalog? I want to actually

see a chrome steel handle trainer with the spring measured and a magnet on the handle ends. Even if the catalog states

what you claim, I still want to see one for verification.

I think transition periods between changes in grippers is key to understanding why there are grippers that seem out of order

timeline wise.

Thanks for any further info or pics guys!!!

Joe-

It seems you have some internal turmoil over the fact that there was a chrome trainer? I'm sure there wasn't many. A couple of months later my no.1 broke, and I got the backward spring no.1 replacement. So, they were in transition.

slazbob, if you're speaking to me there's no inner turmoil at all. I'm just saying that if a chrome steel handle Trainer exist

I want to see it and I want to verify it by seeing the gripper per as stated above.

If one exist it would be the rarest gripper I know of to date in the IM lineup!

• Like 1

I test SS #3 ( 2000-2002 ), Double Stamp #3 and regular #3, everyone has a different weight!

i-296.jpg

Single Stamp CoC 3 = 8.6 oz

i-297.jpg

Double Stamp CoC 3 = 8.8 oz

i-298.jpg

Regular CoC 3 = 8.9 oz

i-299.jpg

I also test SS Trainer = 7.7 oz and DS Trainer = 7.4 oz and regular Trainer = 7.4 oz! My single stamp trainer made in 1998!

Edited by Draught-Player

Joe-

The catolog has a picture of a silver crush gripper: Richard is there closing the no.3. It says: available in four strengths T,1,2,3.

I bought the trainer(the only one I've ever had) and the no.1 the first time I purchased them. They came in a plastic bag: marked T and #1. The only way I knew was that I got like 12 reps the first day with the T and the. About 5 with the no.1

I clearly remember becaus I actually opened them and set them on my grandmother's bed, and used 'em :)

I can't take a photo with my phone and get it on here for some reason... I can send it to an email if you like.

Or you can ask Austin slater about it: I sent him my T,2,and 3 silvercrush. And also my backward no.1 steel handled gripper.

Got no reason to lie... Was trying to help you get the facts.

I test SS #3 ( 2000-2002 ), Double Stamp #3 and regular #3, everyone has a different weight!

i-296.jpg

Single Stamp CoC 3 = 8.6 oz

i-297.jpg

Double Stamp CoC 3 = 8.8 oz

i-298.jpg

Regular CoC 3 = 8.9 oz

i-299.jpg

I also test SS Trainer = 7.7 oz and DS Trainer = 7.4 oz and regular Trainer = 7.4 oz! My single stamp trainer made in 1998!

It looks like they are just 0.1-0.3 oz difference between the three #3s. Do you consider this significant ( and beyond the sensitivity of your scale)?

Joe-

The catolog has a picture of a silver crush gripper: Richard is there closing the no.3. It says: available in four strengths T,1,2,3.

I bought the trainer(the only one I've ever had) and the no.1 the first time I purchased them. They came in a plastic bag: marked T and #1. The only way I knew was that I got like 12 reps the first day with the T and the. About 5 with the no.1

I clearly remember becaus I actually opened them and set them on my grandmother's bed, and used 'em :)

I can't take a photo with my phone and get it on here for some reason... I can send it to an email if you like.

Or you can ask Austin slater about it: I sent him my T,2,and 3 silvercrush. And also my backward no.1 steel handled gripper.

Absolutely on getting the facts!

I was in no way implying you was lying! No way!

It just behooves me with this IM timeline and I can only guess that some of these discrepancies are

in transition periods. And yes, I would love to see a pic of this gripper. I'll PM you my e-mail address

my friend!

Thanks immensely for sharing info!!!

Joe-

Absolutely on getting the facts!

I was in no way implying you was lying! No way!

It just behooves me with this IM timeline and I can only guess that some of these discrepancies are

in transition periods. And yes, I would love to see a pic of this gripper. I'll PM you my e-mail address

my friend!

Thanks immensely for sharing info!!!

Joe-

I'd be happy to send the catolog picture. Like I said, Austin got the trainer.

Nice Arian! :)

Here's a heavy...a heavy-duty, or...

Iron%20Man.JPGIron%20Man%201.JPG

Iron%20Man%202.JPG

Iron%20Man%203.JPG

• Like 1

Nice Arian! :)

Here's a heavy...a heavy-duty, or...

Iron%20Man.JPGIron%20Man%201.JPG

Iron%20Man%202.JPG

Iron%20Man%203.JPG

Holy ####

Now that's a gripper!!!!!!!!!! :rock

That's were it all began with heavy duty torsion spring grippers!!!

Thanks for posting this masterpiece earl!!!

slazbob sent me a few pics from his iphone of a 1992 IM catalog of which I can't really make out

much details but I can read where the Trainer is offered in solid, chromed steel handles. Now if I could

just locate someone that has one of these rarities!

I'm hoping he'll mail me a copy of this catalog for my collection and to further the IM timeline I've started.

Thanks Bob!!!

I'll send it when I get the chance, Joe.

I agree on the rareity of these. Kim wood probably has one...and Randall. And whomever Austin traded mine to.

Only rarer would be a steel handled no.4 IMO. Because it, too, fell in the timeline where they were switching to aluminum.

I never got one because I'd figured it was silly. I regret not getting one then. The oldest gripper I own now is a steel no.1.

The silver crush: I wish I kept. But I got a lot more use out of the things I received for them. When you talk about quality, they were like heavy grips. Only because their rare now, they command a price.

For a collection their perfect. But to spend $$$ for these is too much. Just like blobs... For their price, I'd much rather an inch.

Good luck, Joe

Yeah, David. When my no.1 broke it looked like the spring was plastic!

Randall would agree the coc are far superior to the silvercrush of the old days. And that the silvercrush were no better than what heavy grips are today. Back in the old catolog they used to sell grippers for $10.00 that were wobbly and had other defects. But functional. You may get one of those on eBay one day... Would you pay $200 for it?

Did you just compare the Silver Crush line to HG grippers?????

No one has mentioned Tetting old Silver Elite.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=10923

I was told that this gripper - Silver elite. But on the handle a stamp No. 3.
As I was told that there were two more gripper with a silver spring: Master - with a stamp No. 2 and Beginner with a stamp No. 1.
Probably you know. In what year them started making?

These two single stamped grippers are different in a few regards, with the one weighing 1/2 pound more than the other (more pictures tonight of interesting aspects)...

IMG_5366.JPG

IMG_5367.JPG

IMG_5360.JPG

IMG_5362.JPG

These two single stamped grippers are different in a few regards, with the one weighing 1/2 pound more than the other (more pictures tonight of interesting aspects)...

IMG_5366.JPG

IMG_5367.JPG

IMG_5360.JPG

IMG_5362.JPG

Sorry if I'm being dumb but to me this looks like one weighs 8.8 ounces and the other weighs 9.0 ounces. If so, where's the 1/2 pound difference?

Ha, thanks Doc. I was thinking in pounds/ounces.

Ha, thanks Doc. I was thinking in pounds/ounces.

Not a problem—I kind of got a kick out of Sam's post over on the IronMind Forum about this and think he will probably get some ribbing about it . . . all in good fun.

Yeah, David. When my no.1 broke it looked like the spring was plastic!

Randall would agree the coc are far superior to the silvercrush of the old days. And that the silvercrush were no better than what heavy grips are today. Back in the old catolog they used to sell grippers for $10.00 that were wobbly and had other defects. But functional. You may get one of those on eBay one day... Would you pay $200 for it?

Well, I'd certainly agree that Captains of Crush Grippers are far superior to Silver Crush grippers, but, personally, I wouldn't trade one Silver Crush gripper for any fewer than about 150 HG. :grin:

Yes about the spring sometimes being a little wiggly, but back then, nobody had acute GOPD, so it was ok and some guys might even take this as a sign of character then.

Besides boosting the accuracy a lot, IronMind worked hard to increase the lifespan and also have a gripper that stayed put in your hand better—that's a quick explanation of how we went from Silver Crush to Captains of Crush grippers.

Anyway, Silver Crush was the world's best gripper at that time and I can see why a lot of guys like to collect them—I know you guys know this, but if you have one, I'd say to protect your investment and don't do too many reps on it.

I literally broke one of Warren's Silver Elite's. I was working with it and SNAP. Yeah, it looked nice as the "silver elite" but it was not made to hold up to what I would call REAL training.

I have a Silver Crush set - T-1-2-3.

I have an aluminum handle silver spring BBE, I have an aluminum handle silver spring BBE with a #3 stamp instead of an E.

I have a steel handled reverse wound spring IM #1.

I closed them all one time and now they are mounted on an old piece of barn wood with an old cross cut saw blade and they hang over a doorway.

• Like 2

Thanks Tommy!

Heath, those sound great.

Hey Joe,

When I did the timeline I placed the introduction of a new gripper strength in the box with the type of gripper being made at that time. So, yes there was a Silver Crush Trainer. As you stated this would be very rare and the reason is exactly what others here have mentioned; that ALL of the chrome springs were the least durable of all the different spring types. Most of the Trainers are long gone because the spring broke. If I remember correctly this was a leading reason for the demise of the Silver Crush. I honestly have never seen either the Silver Crush gripper OR the Stainless Trainer. Also, as others have stated that "Silver Crush" with a 3 stamped on one end was not and IM gripper but rather a Tetting gripper. The timeline I made is only for IM grippers. I would post the timeline here to be pinned however, I copied and pasted an IM logo at the top of my document just for appearance and I don't know if Dr. Strossen would want that posted on any board with his trademarked logo. I guess I could cut that our of the document.