Deadlift Form Check

JaredWith1R

As the title states, I'm looking for advice on my deadlift form. Not a very heavy lift at 120 lbs. on a DIY axle, but I'm pretty much just starting with the lift.

All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

https://youtu.be/PBj8MXlqZEc

I may be wrong but it appears that you're pulling the bar straight up vs pulling back. Best way I've heard it explained is pretend you're pulling a small tree out. You'd dig in your heels and try to push you feet through the ground while simultaneously yarding back. Shoulders should be fighting to get behind the bar.

• Like 1

When you lift, your lower back looks straight which is what I am concerned about. FYI: you look like you are using more of a stiff leg form (aka: Back Lift tactic) which means that you are going to be training the crap out of your hamstrings, Lats, and Glutes. Also, you will have to lift quicker at the end of the lift because your low back is going to tire faster in that style.

That is however, the way I like to lift the bar. The main downside is it does not train your legs very hard, but it does train your hip and shoulder extensors like crazy.

+1 for dire straits!

Key thing is to focus on keeping lower back "straight" to avoid damaging disks. At first when you were setting up, I was worried, but when you actually started pulling it got straightened out. That would be the key thing I would focus on as you're starting out.

There are a couple different schools of thought on the DL. Jason is referring to more of the 'American' style as described in the books, which uses the body's righting reflex to accelerate the lift. You're doing more of a 'Russian' style, pulling straight up. There's supposedly pros & cons to each. For just starting out, building with the form you have should be ok.

+1 for dire straits!

Key thing is to focus on keeping lower back "straight" to avoid damaging disks. At first when you were setting up, I was worried, but when you actually started pulling it got straightened out. That would be the key thing I would focus on as you're starting out.

There are a couple different schools of thought on the DL. Jason is referring to more of the 'American' style as described in the books, which uses the body's righting reflex to accelerate the lift. You're doing more of a 'Russian' style, pulling straight up. There's supposedly pros & cons to each. For just starting out, building with the form you have should be ok.

Dire straits is good lifting music, apparently.

I noticed the huge bend when setting up, but I definitely put a lot of thought into staying straight once I start pulling. I assume my form will really start to show as the weights get higher. It's good to know that I'm on the right track.

Thanks for the advice bro!

Please note that I've never done thickbar deads, and don't know if there are some subtly different cues that apply. Form looks okay, two things to be mindful of:

1. Try to make sure your hips don't shoot up before the bar leaves the floor. You want the angles at your hip and knee to start changing at the same time. At the moment your legs are straightening before your back starts to rise - as previous posts have alluded to. Personally I find that this isn't optimal for recruiting the posterior chain and potentially over exerts the spinal erectors.

2. Ensure that your shoulders are directly above the bar at set-up. Hard to see from the camera angle, but shoulders looked very slightly forward of the bar. This isn't such a big deal, just means that there will be some unwanted movement between set-up and breaking the floor as the shoulders align themselves.

But nothing too major, and to be honest there are so many videos and things of deadlifts that you can ask 10 people and get a bunch of different and sometimes conflicting advice. I would recommend Jonny Candito's YT channel for some solid and clearly explained powerlifting advice.

(what I saw) So you inched the bar away from you at the very start, and that put your leverages in a bad position (bar too far out in front), which adds weight to the bar. Then after that, your hips (ass) came up first, then it was more of a modified stiff leg pull. To fix all that, stay close to the bar during your set up, and don't let it drift away from you as you start the pull. Also you need to get a LOT tighter from the start, and STAY tight throughout the pull. Most people forget to get your gut so tight, a truck couldn't push through. When your ass comes up (knees straighten too soon) and then your back takes over, you have no tightness. (what's needed) You should be pulling the weight back towards you when you first pull (why everyone says back, back), then as soon (and most would say sooner) as the bar passes your knees, squeeze those glutes like Richard Simmons was trying to find his way in there. A very big part of a strong lockout is to squeeze your glutes as hard as you can and drive your hips through hard, like your trying to shut the door with your whistle stick. Hope this helps. Practice all this with light weights, and it will carry over for your heavier sets. Keep us posted with more.

Okay so...

Keep the bar as close to the shins as possible.

Shoulders over the bar.

Tighten the core.

Keep my hips in place until the bar reaches the knees, or a little sooner.

Press up with the legs, tighten the glutes.

Drive the hips forward for lockout.

There are near an infinite number of how to deadlift videos on YouTube, and they all differ at least a little bit. I'm sure it will come down to whatever works best for me, but whatever I can do to prevent injury is worth it.

Thanks very much to everyone for the help.

• Like 1

Please note that I've never done thickbar deads, and don't know if there are some subtly different cues that apply.

As far as I know the only difference is that axle or thickbar is more taxing on the grip since you can't get a hook or full overhand. Other than that it pretty much looks the same; I guess the bar will be slightly further out from your shins.

Thanks for the advice, though. Whatever I can do to prevent injury will be worth trying.

Thanks for the info, man.

I usually wear converse for almost everything. Nice flat sole, no real arch, fairly stiff rubber. My big problem is that my "gym" is carpeted.

• Like 1

Are you doing deadlifts to get stronger or specifically for gripsport?

Did you try sumo?

Primarily, I'd say its for gripsport. I know that any comps I might ever go to are going to have an axle. Plus, I figured it would be good for overall strength.

I have not tried sumo yet, pretty much just starting to deadlift.

NAother issue. Spinal compression. Powerlifters will go from 5'9' to 5'2 over the course of 10-15 years unless they decompress their spine.

:rolleyes

Nope.

• Like 1

NAother issue. Spinal compression. Powerlifters will go from 5'9' to 5'2 over the course of 10-15 years unless they decompress their spine.

Nope.

This is some of the funniest shit I have read in a long time. I wouldn't have seen it in the wall-o-text unless Magnus quoted it, lol.

• Like 1

Edit:

Changed my mind. Not worth the trouble.

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 2

Why would someone be serious about it?

Looks like the internet trolls are at it again. First, I appreciate all the information and help.

My goal for this post is to get my form shaped up at this "light" weight so by the time I'm breaking world records on the Axle, I won't be pinching any nerves or popping any disks. After the first day, my lower back was killing me, so I knew my form needed adjustment. I later realized that it was because I wasn't up to 135 yet, so the bar was sitting too low and I had to bend lower, which lead to an increased back arch.

Now that I've got the bar at the right height, everything feels much better. I've gotten some great advice from this thread, so I guess it's working!

Thanks again to everyone for the input.

Edit: Changed my mind. Not worth the trouble.

While I'm sure this would have been very interesting to read anyway, I suppose it's better being unsaid!

There are so many words in this thread I totally missed that gem.

Did you try sumo?

I would encourage you to try sumo. I am told it has advantages for axle deads. I personally wouldn't know. I am terrible at sumo and pretty bad at deadlifting in general.

Primarily, I'd say its for gripsport. I know that any comps I might ever go to are going to have an axle. Plus, I figured it would be good for overall strength.

I would also suggest doing half of your pulling on a regular bar or using straps. If your body is strong in the pull, it allows you to focus more on your grip for DO axle.

All the best.

Did you try sumo?

I would encourage you to try sumo. I am told it has advantages for axle deads. I personally wouldn't know. I am terrible at sumo and pretty bad at deadlifting in general.

I would also suggest doing half of your pulling on a regular bar or using straps. If your body is strong in the pull, it allows you to focus more on your grip for DO axle.

All the best.

Would this make more sense once my grip starts to become a factor? Right now, I do all of my bar pulling on an axle, if I can. For DL, I'd say I'm not close to my actual lifting max.

I get your point, though. I need a strong base for my grip to become important. Thanks for the advice (I think some of this thread was getting a little out of hand).

Your foot placement is very wide and toes pointing out. That looks like a perfect stance for squat but I find my feet about a foot apart to be perfect. As do most who pull conventional.

• Like 2

Nope.

Well I am going on 26 years of this shit and I have been 5'9" since 10th grade...

• Like 1

Nope.

Well I am going on 26 years of this shit and I have been 5'9" since 10th grade...

So how much do you regret deadlifting instead of being 6'6"?

• Like 1

5'9" is fine.