Pull Ups

The Natural

What's your body weight?

What's your body weight?

Eric, I weigh about 217 pounds right now.

Fifteen is most impressive at that weight. Are you holding steady or do you intend to drop more body weight?

What's your body weight?

Eric, I weigh about 217 pounds right now.

Fifteen is most impressive at that weight. Are you holding steady or do you intend to drop more body weight?

Thanks Eric. I am training for a 5K on the 28th. I will try to drop to 212 pounds by the day of the race. That decrease in weight alone should allow me to do sixteen pull-ups. After the race I am sure that I'll gain a few pounds back.

It is a lifetime goal of mine to do a set of twenty strict pull ups. Five more to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p45_ZLtX3Hs

Good solid pullups - at your BW that's impressive. We'll get you rock climbing next :).

I just have 1 question: What happened to this guy?

For the guys doing 5/3/1, why are you so confident that you'll live long enough for it to give big gains? I'm being serious here. When guys start telling me that they don't think in terms of 10 week increments, but are thinking about building strength "long term", like over a period of years, I think they are being a little presumptuous and taking life for granted. What makes you think you're going to live that long? I am pretty sure I can make it another 10 weeks. A few more years, that's totally up in the air. I want a program that will give me gains in 10 weeks. That's about all I feel I'm assured of.

Basically, you 5/3/1 guys take life for granted and need to grow up a little.

For the average person, yes, it is probably very good, but any training system that does not destroy your body within a decade is unsuitable for those who want medals.

Now he's running 5Ks and doing pull-ups and weighs less than I do...

Did you give up squatting 700 and deadlifting 700 and bashing on all who dont believe in using what ever means neccesary "supplements" to reach said goals?

Awesome pull ups! Congratulations! I think if you did a couple weeks of Pavel's pull-up program, you could hit 20 in 3-4 weeks.

• Like 2

Good set of pull-ups!

Rex, if you've written why you went from a "big guy" to a smaller dude, may I have the link please? If not, would you mind answering this in public? I remember your squat and DL videos and they were pretty impressive. I am interested in the reasoning behind the change of goals, etc.

Did you give up squatting 700 and deadlifting 700 and bashing on all who dont believe in using what ever means neccesary "supplements" to reach said goals?

Well I'm a firm believer in doing whatever it takes. But your definition, my definition and his definition of whatever it takes is different. I will never pass judgement on some one for doing "whatever it takes". But don't be a prick about it. That's all.

• Like 2

Good set of pull-ups!

Rex, if you've written why you went from a "big guy" to a smaller dude, may I have the link please? If not, would you mind answering this in public? I remember your squat and DL videos and they were pretty impressive. I am interested in the reasoning behind the change of goals, etc.

I was wondering the same thing, Rex. I remember a few years back you were putting up some huge PL numbers in the 275 or so class. I was curious if you shed some muscle mainly for health reasons, or if you just figured you'd gone as far as you could go with your powerlifting goals and decided to focus on something completely different. Not trying to get too personal, but I don't believe I've ever seen anybody with your level of strength drop that much weight and start training for marathons. I would love to get your insight on this.

Edited by IROC-Z

Well I'm a firm believer in doing whatever it takes. But your definition, my definition and his definition of whatever it takes is different. I will never pass judgement on some one for doing "whatever it takes". But don't be a prick about it. That's all.

Not sure of you remember Rex from few years ago, but he was a straight up dick to everyone. No one trained as hard as him, no ones training program was as good as his, and we were all weak and pathetic because we weren't destroying our bodies and using pharmaceuticals to get strong.

If putting him on the spot is being a prick, so be it.

And yes, if you are jamming a needle in your ass to win a trophy, you are a prick as well. That's all.

At least a couple of rules being broken here, EJ and Rick. Disagree, but play nice.

• Like 1

At least a couple of rules being broken here, EJ and Rick. Disagree, but play nice.

Someone who used to frequent the GB and was probably one of it's finest contributors, but has long since become a lurker due to the downfall of the GB society, said it best to me, "You are running up hill on a treadmill".

Its good to have dudes like that to look up to. All natural, strong dudes.

You are absolutely right Eric. It won't happen again. I will do my talking on the platform, raw and drug free.

Not sure of you remember Rex from few years ago, but he was a straight up dick to everyone. No one trained as hard as him, no ones training program was as good as his, and we were all weak and pathetic because we weren't destroying our bodies and using pharmaceuticals to get strong.

If putting him on the spot is being a prick, so be it.

And yes, if you are jamming a needle in your ass to win a trophy, you are a prick as well. That's all.

It wasn't directed at you Rick. Sorry if it came out that way. I was referring to Rex and his do whatever it took attitude. But people have to make their own life choices. They have to make decisions based on their levels of importance. I was not around here years ago so I don't know Rex and his attitude toward everyone. But I do know that time changes people he might not be the same guy living the same life. His life choices may be different now. He may have been a dick, but at least he was honest. Or to me it sounded like he was honest with a twist or arrogance. And honesty is something I respect. I'm sure life is way different for Rex now. It doesn't look like he uses supplements at all.

Those were some very clean pullups!

Awesome pull ups! Congratulations! I think if you did a couple weeks of Pavel's pull-up program, you could hit 20 in 3-4 weeks.

David and bwwm,

Thanks!

Years ago I used to do a lot of pullups. I would do them 1-3 times a week depending on how I felt. The best I ever did was 25 strict at 245.

How I trained was I typically did singles. I would do one strict rep and rest 2-10 seconds and do another rep until my form would begin to change (due to fatigue) and I would stop for that day, I also used a different hand position on each rep. Every 6 or 7 weeks I would take a few days off then go in and hit a set of non-stop reps. Eventually got to 25 strict reps non-stop.