Climbing The Ladder: Yori's Training Log

Electron

Last night: Deadlifts

Started deadlifting last week, and today is my second session.

Warm up: 135x5 185x4 195x3

Work (Attempts to figure out my max): 205x3 215x3 225x3

Stopped here today bc I didn't want to sacrifice form for more weight, especially this early into learning how to properly execute this.

Tonight: light work

Been busy lately and it's been affecting my sleep and training.

Went in for a bit of light work today right before my gym closed.

Jump rope, 3 mins. Shadow boxing, 5 mins.

Saw the pull up thread and wanted to see if I can join the 200 or the 250 club.

Did an attempt at total weight 200lbs (70#s added). Didn't clear my chin over the bar.

Usually I max out at 80#s with a neutral grip, and I never train with hands pronated anymore.

Today I seemed out of the loop but it seems like I need a bit of work before being able to join even the 200 club...

Man you gotta be one light dude! But you'll get up there in the pullup "clubs." just keep working at it. Since I'm quite a bit heavier than you, I'm not going to post anything until I can get in the 300 club. 250 isn't a far cry for me, so I don't see much reason in doing it... If you gotta add that much to get in the 200lb club, I wouldn't want to do it until I have to add a lot myself.

Man you gotta be one light dude! But you'll get up there in the pullup "clubs." just keep working at it. Since I'm quite a bit heavier than you, I'm not going to post anything until I can get in the 300 club. 250 isn't a far cry for me, so I don't see much reason in doing it... If you gotta add that much to get in the 200lb club, I wouldn't want to do it until I have to add a lot myself.

As you suspected, I'm pretty light. Currently 130#s.

I read over your log and you're a giant. How much weight do you add for pull ups?

It probably wouldn't be difficult for you to be in the 300 club.

I read over your log and you're a giant. How much weight do you add for pull ups?

Haha thanks man. I am 6'5, 210lbs currently, so I'm walking around in the 200 club... My dad is 300lbs, and still quite strong in his late 50s. I got big people genes. Haha...

For pullups, I'm not sure right now. When I was doing them a few months ago I weighed around 200lbs and and was doing 3 sets of 3 with 70lbs added. But then I switched that out for axle rows. I thought I'd try it again today but it went like crap, only got 50lbs up there. Tried for 75 and couldnt get all the way... But I think that's because lately I've just been exhausted from finals. I'll try it again soon.

I mean, my deadlifting went bad today. Couldn't get last my warmups. It's a sad day when I can't deadlift. Haha

Edited by Mephistopholes

Haha thanks man. I am 6'5, 210lbs currently, so I'm walking around in the 200 club... My dad is 300lbs, and still quite strong in his late 50s. I got big people genes. Haha...

For pullups, I'm not sure right now. When I was doing them a few months ago I weighed around 200lbs and and was doing 3 sets of 3 with 70lbs added. But then I switched that out for axle rows. I thought I'd try it again today but it went like crap, only got 50lbs up there. Tried for 75 and couldnt get all the way... But I think that's because lately I've just been exhausted from finals. I'll try it again soon.

I mean, my deadlifting went bad today. Couldn't get last my warmups. It's a sad day when I can't deadlift. Haha

You got big people genes for sure.

Sounds like we've both been suffering through finals.

I just started DLs and they're fun. How much do you pull?

More importantly:

I plan to be able to pull up with a total of 200 very soon, definitely before the end of this year... I'll race you!

(You get to 300, of course. I've already lost the race to 200.)

More importantly:

I plan to be able to pull up with a total of 200 very soon, definitely before the end of this year... I'll race you!

I'm hoping to pull a C and an A out of my math classes.

Edited by hellswindstaff

More importantly:

Ha yeah deadlifts are my porridge... For a max pull, I'm not sure. Last time I checked was in July at 445 I think. I'm doing working sets of 3 reps right now with 410 with a slight pause in between lifts to make sure I'm not bouncing it. Much harder this way. Haha. I'm thinking of moving alot of stuff to 5 working sets of 2 reps though.

Pullups... I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing with these, I need to find a good place in my schedule for them, because I want to keep rows too. But yeah, we'll race.

Actually dude, I've been doing pullups lately with eagle loops, so I've been going really light with my added weight so as to let my fingers adjust to the pressure from it... Maybe I'll just work up in weight with those. Or not. Haha. I'll figure it out this weekend.

Yeah dude, just let me know what your plans. Cheers on the race.

450 is a lot of weight. Hope to be lifting that sometime.

HWS: You should join the race too. Your BW is 175 or so? You could probably hit the 250 club.

Ha, you'll get it man, just takes time... Plus that's over 3 times your current bodyweight, right? You'll put some pounds on along the way.

And for the race, I'll probably start doing regular weighted pullups, and move rows to a different day... You really can't have too much back strength. Haha. IT'S ON!

I'm pretty sure that I could hit 250 give or take... but meh. I'm more concerned about finally mastering that damn one arm chin... it's been eluding me for almost a year now. I've recently created an algorithm for the training so I should be PRing regularly in my 1AC training.

Edited by hellswindstaff

Ha, you'll get it man, just takes time... Plus that's over 3 times your current bodyweight, right? You'll put some pounds on along the way.

And for the race, I'll probably start doing regular weighted pullups, and move rows to a different day... You really can't have too much back strength. Haha. IT'S ON!

I'd like to keep my DL increasing at a regular pace. Wish I had a facility near home to lift at, because I don't want to stale out once I'm on break from school.

It's settled. We'll be joining the cool kids club over there on the pull up thread before we know it!

I'm pretty sure that I could hit 250 give or take... but meh. I'm more concerned about finally mastering that damn one arm chin... it's been eluding me for almost a year now. I've recently created an algorithm for the training so I should be PRing regularly in my 1AC training.

Badass man. I've stalled a while in my 1APU goals so I was switching over to weighted, the challenge seems perfect for that.

Badass man. I've stalled a while in my 1APU goals so I was switching over to weighted, the challenge seems perfect for that.

One arm chin and unilateral chins isolate the arms moreso than two arms, which integrates the lats more and the arms less. From what I understand by asking others who could do a 1AC (though I could be wrong) there suprisingly isn't a lot of carryover from the 1AC to the 2AC, but there is a lot more the other way around.

Edited by hellswindstaff

• 2 weeks later...

Busy with finals... haven't been updating but have been hitting the gym.

Recently: AW practice

Showed up 30 mins late to a practice session and pulled some guys I haven't seen in a while. Did better than average with them, but unsure whether I'm stronger of they were burnt out.

Last final is tomorrow.

Be back here more often after that.

Last night: grip work

Felt a pain in my left elbow again, which has been giving me trouble on and off for a while. Did some light work last night mixed with heavy attempts.

Today, my elbow seemed to be flared up, so I'm letting it breathe to see if the pain will heal quickly.

Last night: grip work

Felt a pain in my left elbow again, which has been giving me trouble on and off for a while. Did some light work last night mixed with heavy attempts.

Today, my elbow seemed to be flared up, so I'm letting it breathe to see if the pain will heal quickly.

Cold showers for inflammation. Tiger balm, and if you have access to light bands, high reps pull downs and curls have helped me whenever my elbow feels beat up.

Tonight: grip work

Elbow's feeling better, but was down with a cold til yesterday.

Decided to do some work after realizing I haven't done much for my grip as of late.

Warm up: reps on HG200

Work:

GNC200 (121#s) 2 attempts held

CoC#2 (110ish) 3 attempts held

RB160 (105ish) 4 attempts held

BBA5/8 (75ish) 5 attempts held

HG200 (90#s) 6 reps held

Light Work: BBB5/8 (65ish) 2 sets of 10 reps

Tonight: Pull up max attempts

Went to the gym to video my progress on weighted pull ups as opposed to neutral grip chin ups.

Videos to follow, as my internet is dragging right now... but it seems like I'll make it into the 200 club over on the pull up contest thread.

Careful with that elbow buddy. Chins/pulls/bw exc. can be killing on the joints. Keep it up! Like reading your stuff.

Yori,

in your goals list it has Dime/Nickel/Quarter/H.Dollar/Block, what are these?

Are they block set widths, if so what widths are they?

Cheers,

Mike.

Careful with that elbow buddy. Chins/pulls/bw exc. can be killing on the joints. Keep it up! Like reading your stuff.

Thanks for looking out, bro.

I took it easy on the the elbow as soon a I felt a problem coming and it's all better now.

Pulled some weighted pull up PRs last night, I think it paid off!

Yori,

in your goals list it has Dime/Nickel/Quarter/H.Dollar/Block, what are these?

Are they block set widths, if so what widths are they?

Cheers,

Mike.

Whenever I MMS, I have the tendency to cheat by setting beyond parallel. These widths are to help me it back on that and eventually be able to CCS grippers.

After setting, I pass a coin through the handles so I must close the handles over a determined distance.