Ghp Gripper Challenge

Wade Gillingham

I wasn't sure at first if we would run a certification program but the grass roots movement underway to film closings of GHP grippers has changed my mind on this. Rather than a typical certification program, the GHP Gripper Challenge is more dynamic. If you can close a Professional Series GHP Gripper (Level 7-9) that's a great accomplishment and should be recorded. But the challenge doesn't end there. If you can do two reps this is better and you should also be recognized, as should 3, 4, 5..... But wait, if you can not only close a Level 7 but you can close a Level 8...well that should be recognized as better than any number of reps with a 7.

I've tried to make this simple and fair without breaking the bank. The easiest way to enter the challenge is to buy a new gripper, a GHP set block, open the gripper on film and film the challenge attempt. If you don't want to buy a new gripper fine - just measure the handle spread and spring diameter using a micrometer, on film, and make your attempt. Even easier yet is to have GHP grippers for reps in a contest with a judge watching and counting your reps. GHP set blocks are 1.5" - the distance I always have felt is a fair starting position and a distance that works for doing reps. To keep this professional looking and to eliminate any controversy the one thing that I am requiring is that you purchase a set block. Even though the cut down credit cards were cool I feel pretty strongly that a block is much better and eliminates any question whether the card passed through perpendicular to the handles or was forced through the handles deforming the card.

Please let me know your thoughts on all this. The blocks are late from the manufacturer but I do have some of the early prototypes in stock and ready to ship.

Thanks everyone for your support.

http://www.gillinghamhp.com/gc.aspx

• Like 9

Sounds great Wade! I just ordered a block so I'll give it a shot when it arrives. Will there be actual certificates for this as well as the name on the online list?

• Like 1

Cool Wade. I tend to try all certs, so I will give this a go.

Are you saying if you already own a GHP gripper you should measure the spread and spring? If you are going to go that route, I would say a witness verification (trusted by you of course) would also be valid, although I think that is where you are going with the "judge" angle.

I agree with the block. Although, if you are hellbent on being fair, you can allow blocks of the same or similar measurements. Not trying to get a deal for me here, I'll buy the block and the gripper.

I am a sucker for any cert. 1.5" is realistic for me to close a heavy gripper. Would be a nice goal to hit the 8 there.

Also, I would say from a business aspect you have little to lose from a certification challenge, especially with the gripboard crowd. The reps is a great idea to keep the ranking going.

If this works out for you and gets popular, overall and gripper rankings per grip weight classes (though it does not need to be promoted on your site as any grip fed specific thing unless you want it) might spur further interest.

Just throwing out ideas.

Cool Wade. I tend to try all certs, so I will give this a go.

Are you saying if you already own a GHP gripper you should measure the spread and spring? If you are going to go that route, I would say a witness verification (trusted by you of course) would also be valid, although I think that is where you are going with the "judge" angle.

I agree with the block. Although, if you are hellbent on being fair, you can allow blocks of the same or similar measurements. Not trying to get a deal for me here, I'll buy the block and the gripper.

I am a sucker for any cert. 1.5" is realistic for me to close a heavy gripper. Would be a nice goal to hit the 8 there.

Bob - I'm trying to make this available to anyone and everyone while still keeping a high level of integrity in the challenge. Since I don't want to get into hand picking witnesses and slowing down someone from attempting the challenge i'm offering the video format to overcome this. I think it's very easy to judge these days from video. Once it's posted it has to withstand public scrutiny so any unclear reps will not be counted. The only uncertainty is the gripper being used (tampered with). If it's opened straight from the package I know it's good. If not, showing the spread on film (should be 3" +-1/16) and the spring diameter using a micrometer, is really all the proof needed. If someone comes out of nowhere and starts setting world records we reserve the right to ask that person to give it a go on a new gripper which we would supply. I would really like to see this type of event in contests. I think it fits in good with grip contests formats. I know it takes some getting used to the idea of reps on grippers - I rejected it for years - but I'm a believer now and I believe in the 1.5" distance and I think it works good for reps. I thought about the idea of having an Official World Record list for contest results, and an Unofficial World Record list for out of contest results. This may still go that way but for now I plan to lump everyone in and just track the when/where the challenge was done so it can be split out later if it makes sense. Yes - I thought about allowing anything with the same dimensions but to keep it professional in appearance I really would like to stick with an official GHP set block.

Russ - I have some ideas for awards/certificates but nothing settled yet.

Thanks!

Cool, just throwing out ideas. thanks for the response Wade. Regardless, I will give it a try soon. And you are right, with a set of say 10 grippers, reps with a block would be a viable contest event.

I ordered a 7 and a block, will try it fresh from the package. I am no where near the 8 with the 1.5" set, so I will start where I can. I'll likely give this 7 away in my contest, so if i get a ton stronger I might pony up for another.

What do you mean by a new gripper? Like if you have an open GHP7 that needs to be miked and the spread measured?

Also 100 reps on the 7 is better than 1 on the 8 IMO :grin:

What do you mean by a new gripper? Like if you have an open GHP7 that needs to be miked and the spread measured?

Also 100 reps on the 7 is better than 1 on the 8 IMO :grin:

Rich - yep, anything not opened from the package by a judge in a contest setting or by the challenger on film if done on video, needs to have the spread and spring measured (on video). This is moot for a contest since if I recognize the contest as legit I will supply a new gripper(s) for the challenge. I'm doing it this way to avoid having to buy a new gripper just to take part in the challenge. The measuring thing is to satisfy everyone that the gripper hasn't been tampered with in any way. I agree 100 on a 7 is better than 1 on a 8 but who wants to watch anyone do 100 reps? :grin:

Wade, what about showing the mounting depth on an already opened gripper? Is this going too far?

I thought about that but I think it's covered by measuring the handle spread. Yes someone could go to great lengths to back the handles out and tweak the spring in but I doubt it's really worth the effort and if something really doesn't look right we try to have the gripper independently verified by someone. All of these things are argument for having an official world record list done by people in actual competitions. I think competition results have a stronger weight than doing it on video but not everyone wants to or can compete so the video option is there so everyone can participate.

Great idea, Wade. Looking forward to it. I'm loving my GHP grippers but it'll be a while before I'm repping my #8 - it's brutally hard. I'll buy another from you if you promise to send me the easiest one available! haha

Edited by Tim Struse

Great idea, Wade. Looking forward to it. I'm loving my GHP grippers but it'll be a while before I'm repping my #8 - it's brutally hard. I'll buy another from you if you promise to send me the easiest one available! haha

Funny, the other MM7 complained about the Level 8 being hard too....then he closed it from 1.5" after about 5000 reps in the same workout! You'll do just fine I'm sure :grin:

Well, I resisted opening my stuff today. I will get a video with a block after my gripper workout tomorrow- My contest is coming up soon, otherwise I would go at it fresh.

As mentioned above, I think weight classes would be a great addition, especially given the weight class decisions from the Grip collective recently.

If we did weight classes what does everyone think is a good break?...over and under 200?

I've had other good comments on the challenge rules as originally posted. I will probably revise these in a week or two. For now if you want to enter the challenge just follow the rules as posted. I will track all the rest of the info like age, weight, etc., to break this out at a future date.

As mentioned above, I think weight classes would be a great addition, especially given the weight class decisions from the Grip collective recently.

If we did weight classes what does everyone think is a good break?...over and under 200?

I've had other good comments on the challenge rules as originally posted. I will probably revise these in a week or two. For now if you want to enter the challenge just follow the rules as posted. I will track all the rest of the info like age, weight, etc., to break this out at a future date.

I think 0 - 200 lbs. and 201lbs. and up is simple and fair. Start getting too many weight classes and it becomes

a hassle. If Tommy Heslep closed a #4 at well under 200 lbs. as did Joe Kinney and Nathan Holle then

any complainers should just step their game up. :D This would also limit individuals inflating their egos too

much. :laugh

Age groups would be good if kept simple. Minimum would be level 7 & 8 certs of which the individual

is a teenager. Any certs from an individual 60 years of age or older would be good as well.

Women Certs would be nice also but with lower levels such as 5 & 6 maybe.

Would look similar to this:

Mens Weight Classes: 0 - 200 lbs. & 201 & Up

Age Groups: Teenagers ( 13 - 19), Seniors: 60 & up

Women: Same weight categories. GHP Level 4 or 5

As always, just my input. :)

Look forward to the final rules and categories!!!

i just recieved my set block and will be attempting a cert tomorrow evening. a couple questions, does the youtube vid have to be set as unlisted until it has been judged? and do you want the vid sent directly to you via pm, or sent to challenge@gillinghamhp.com

No, you can list it that is fine. The fine print in the rules states that we have the rights to use the video if you want to enter the challenge. What I am thinking at the moment is we will suck the video off whatever YT site you put it on and load it into YouTube.com/GHPChannel, so we have a full listing of all the participants in the challenge. If the videos run too long there might be some editting that happens as well. Just to be clear I am really going to hold this to a high standard so make sure the touches and the block pass is very clear on video. If you do this tomorrow you will likely be the first and will be setting the standard! Good Luck!!

Wade

• Like 3

Wade, have you thought about having a TNS cert on the GHP6? It's a respectable no set close when you factor in the wide spread and the approximately 135lb calibration. It's like no set closing a very easy - but wide - #3.

Wade, have you thought about having a TNS cert on the GHP6? It's a respectable no set close when you factor in the wide spread and the approximately 135lb calibration. It's like no set closing a very easy - but wide - #3.

Ben - honestly no, I hadn't really thought about it because the GHP's are pretty wide and I was focusing on the professional series closes. It's a good idea and maybe something to add in the future. Thanks!

Wade

Congrats Tommy!! Its always sweet being the first.

okay here it is... it took probably ten attempts before my camera man and i could get a legit shot... lol

http://youtu.be/jyQkxuu2LHY

Tommy Jennings Jr.

Way to go Tommy!