Calisthenics / Body Wt Training

Evan Raftopoulos

Nice paralletes - I've never tried handstanding on them - but I have heard that they can make it easier for some people? My concern has always been how you bail forwards if you overbalance, anyone got any tips?

• Like 1

Nice paralletes - I've never tried handstanding on them - but I have heard that they can make it easier for some people? My concern has always been how you bail forwards if you overbalance, anyone got any tips?

Patrick,

Thanks! Yes I am feeling it is easier to do a handstand on a paralletes. I think it is because you are gripping your hands around a bar. You have much more stability in your wrist. So that is what I feel.

I have tried them this afthernoon. And they are really stabbel.

For extra security I have placed a little piece of bicycle inner tube under the parralettes so it won't glid away at smooth surfaces.

Rens

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my progress on RT oac

Wow man, good job!

thanks brah, it's not full rom yet :P

I'm having a manus grip pull up battle tomorrow. Bodyweight plus 35lbs for reps. Will upload a video when it's done!

• Like 1

Great job Evan!

Thanks Patrick! how's your training going?

Pretty well thanks, I havent been training pull-ups very often but have managed to make a bit of progress to +65kg for an easy single (neutral grip) and hope/expect to get 70kg in the next couple of weeks. Will start doing some OAC specific training once I can consistently hit 75kg for a single, but my pulling seems to progress sporadically so not sure when that might be!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

compilation of some of my training vids, there is also some footage from King Kong grip challenge. Now I need to make a vid for ninja warrior with more talking and less doing :rolleyes I have another local ninja competition in couple hrs!

• Like 1

Insanity.

So how many regular old chins can you do?

• Like 1

Insanity.

So how many regular old chins can you do?

thanks brother, I haven't tried max regular chinups for long time so not sure! I can usually do 20 pullups without a problem

Great work Evan, looks like training has been going well!

thanks Patrick, post a vid bro it's been a while :P , you and David! my training is going well, I just started working on the back lever, feels such a great exercise, it feels that you have to engage every single muscle in your body but especially the back extensors!Of course grip too otherwise you ll end up with a head injury :0. I still need to work on getting my body parallel to the floor. I also wanna be able to go from a muscle up to a handstand on the bar so will start training for that too! I can go from L sit on parallettes to a handstand but on the pull up bar is harder and of course scary.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks Patrick, post a vid bro it's been a while :P , you and David! my training is going well, I just started working on the back lever, feels such a great exercise, it feels that you have to engage every single muscle in your body but especially the back extensors!Of course grip too otherwise you ll end up with a head injury :0. I still need to work on getting my body parallel to the floor. I also wanna be able to go from a muscle up to a handstand on the bar so will start training for that too! I can go from L sit on parallettes to a handstand but on the pull up bar is harder and of course scary.

Haha, to post a video I'll need to achieve something first! I've got some footage of a chin with 70kg but the guy filming it cut my head off the shot, and it was very marginal if I got my chin to the bar or not so it doesn't really count. Also did 24 strict chins (deadhang in between each rep) but didn't get it filmed. I'll try and get something uploaded soon, most of what I've been recording has been deadlift so not really great for this thread!

Backlever is great fun, feels hard to keep everything tight but compared to front lever variations you progress so fast! Muscle up to bar handstand would be awesome, I feel uncomfortable doing handstands on parallettes, let alone on a bar!

• Like 1

I'm rehabilitating an injured left shoulder from armwrestling training. It's affected my bodyweight training greatly since I can't do anything advanced atm. It sucks! But I figured that in the mean time I could always focus on my core strength, should help my flags and levers when my shoulder is good to go again.

Haha, to post a video I'll need to achieve something first! I've got some footage of a chin with 70kg but the guy filming it cut my head off the shot, and it was very marginal if I got my chin to the bar or not so it doesn't really count. Also did 24 strict chins (deadhang in between each rep) but didn't get it filmed. I'll try and get something uploaded soon, most of what I've been recording has been deadlift so not really great for this thread!

Backlever is great fun, feels hard to keep everything tight but compared to front lever variations you progress so fast! Muscle up to bar handstand would be awesome, I feel uncomfortable doing handstands on parallettes, let alone on a bar!

24 strict chins is pretty amazing brother. And I bet deadlifting helps a lot with bar calisthenics.

you are right, I feel I'm progressing fast with backlever I'm able to get to parallel now :)

L sit to handstand and try to balance is one of my favorite exercises now, I also wanna be able to do planches <->handstands one day!

I'm rehabilitating an injured left shoulder from armwrestling training. It's affected my bodyweight training greatly since I can't do anything advanced atm. It sucks! But I figured that in the mean time I could always focus on my core strength, should help my flags and levers when my shoulder is good to go again.

oh no that sucks David, feel better soon bro. Yea the only cool thing when you get injured is that you can focus on other bodyparts/exercises that perhaps you were not paying attention before.

• Like 1

oh no that sucks David, feel better soon bro. Yea the only cool thing when you get injured is that you can focus on other bodyparts/exercises that perhaps you were not paying attention before.

Thank you my friend! It's slowly getting better though. I should be fully recovered within 4-5 weeks judging by the rate things are going now. In the mean time I'll have to live through you guys lol! It's very motivating watching you, Patrick and Yori do your thing!

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's been a long time since I posted a video on here, I haven't been practicing much bodyweight stuff to be honest but I'll try and record some of my training when I do get around to it. Had a fun session in the gym today doing some grip and bodyweight stuff, handstand is feeling really solid and I can get a pushup most of the time but having trouble stringing them together and keeping balance. Will post a video of that when I get it down. For now here's how my flag's looking, not the best but I suppose the handhold is a bit awkwardly shaped and very slick, so it's hard to stop the rotation and I haven't tried it in quite a while.

Hope everyone had a good Xmas/new year!

Edited by PatrickMeniru
  • Like 2