Calisthenics / Body Wt Training

Evan Raftopoulos

• 2 weeks later...

That's some really cool stuff Evan! Wish I had somewhere I could try something like that!

• Like 1

thanks David, are there any parkour gyms in your area? You'd be good at this.

Cool stuff Evan!

I really like Calisthenics, at the moment I am training the frogstand to handstand press. Nice train outside in the sun is the best of it!

Hope you guys post more videos, really interesting and fun!

• Like 1

did a few muscle ups today after a nice day at the beach, I need to start training again for this more seriously.

• Like 2

Very nice job with the muscle ups and FL work 10 reps with good form is no joke! Just saw this, which is absolutely insane:

Great muscle-ups Evan! Those were clean! My muscle-ups still look like utter shit lol

thanks guys, next time more.

there is a trick to doing higher reps with muscle ups imo. You don't go straight down when you come back down, you go a bit diagonally and that gives you the momentum you need to go back up. To me it makes a big difference.

so if you imagine the bar is in the middle of a clock, I plan so on the way down my feet go towards 4-5pm instead of 6pm if that helps

also, what helps me to do high reps is to force myself in sudden adrenaline rush right before the set, I'm not sure how I do it, I try to think how bad I want this and I think my heart starts beating faster and then I feel ready. I know it sounds a bit funny but it's true. You can't tell from the video.

Very nice job with the muscle ups and FL work 10 reps with good form is no joke! Just saw this, which is absolutely insane:

Patrick, that guy is super strong with one arm pulls. I remember watching some of his other vids in the past, very impressive, one of the strongest right now form what I 've seen.

• 4 weeks later...

I felt I had the strength to do more but my energy/motivation after bouldering was a bit low. Next time at least 14.

• 3 weeks later...

I felt I had the strength to do more but my energy/motivation after bouldering was a bit low. Next time at least 14.

Great stuff, love how high you manage to get on the first reps, barely having to do the dipping motion at all!

Great stuff, love how high you manage to get on the first reps, barely having to do the dipping motion at all!

thanks Patrick! I think grip sport helps with body wt strength training especially with work on the pull up bar.For example, I feel that the one arm deadlifts with emphasis on grip (Crusher, V bar etc) really help me with explosiveness with muscle ups and one arm pullups.

That blows my mind.

That blows my mind.

thanks brother!

14 from today :)

after I left the bouldering gym I did some training at my regular gym. This is with IM eagle loops, front lever and one arm dead hang

• Like 2

Amazing work Evan! Damn, I really need to get back on working on my muscle ups! I'm lagging way far behind!

Amazing work Evan! Damn, I really need to get back on working on my muscle ups! I'm lagging way far behind!

thanks David! for me to progress with calisthenics I have to train almost every day but not every day to failure. Just do something every day. I try to do a few muscle ups at the gym in between sets of other exercises or at the very end of my workout. Then I try max attempts every one or two weeks, sometimes more or less frequently depending what I'm focusing on with my training. But with calisthenics I feel that you can train every day and your body can adapt well to this movements without risk of injury.

• Like 1

Dude! 16 consecutive muscle ups is amazing!

My biggest problem is that I don't convenient place to do them. Both the gyms I train at have low ceiling. Any outdoor gym is pretty far away so I don't have a setup where I can just go and knock out a muscle up or two on the fly. I have to plan my training to be at a place where I can do them.

https://instagram.com/p/6Ihgf5OXPe/

Not 16 muscle ups or anything of that caliper. Just some handstand work I did earlier today.

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 1

Dude! 16 consecutive muscle ups is amazing!

My biggest problem is that I don't convenient place to do them. Both the gyms I train at have low ceiling. Any outdoor gym is pretty far away so I don't have a setup where I can just go and knock out a muscle up or two on the fly. I have to plan my training to be at a place where I can do them.

https://instagram.com/p/6Ihgf5OXPe/

Not 16 muscle ups or anything of that caliper. Just some handstand work I did earlier today.

thanks, I believe I once did 18 consecutive with some rest at the bottom. I think the current official world record is someone from Australia with 25 or 27 with strict form. But even that dude is bending his knees towards the end.

great handstand work! Thanks for posting! My balance is not so good with handstands. I usually do them on the rogue parallettes at the gym and I'm able to keep my feet off the wall for ~10 sec at best but I get my feet on the wall first vs without starting assistance. Your balance looks great, motivating to watch! I think handstand power goes hand in hand with pullup power. A goal of mine is one day to go from a muscle up to a handstand on the bar. I believe I have the strength to do it but because my balance sucks at this point it is even dangerous to try. I was able to go from dip position to handstand once on the lebert equalizer but those parallettes are high and not very stable and it was a bit scary.

if your gym doesn't have high ceiling you could practice doing high pullups to the lower chest or even aim for the belly button superset with dips. Or you can open a hole in the ceiling lol :grin:

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

btw you look in great shape bro! how much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1

Damn that was something nice!

if the comment was for the muscle-ups thanks brother! :)

• Like 1

if the comment was for the muscle-ups thanks brother! :)
Yep. I'll train to do that too
  • Like 1