Pavel Tsatsouline Into Grip

bubba29

He also says he's Master of Girevoy Sport. Video is glaringly lacking. In all fairness though, Pavel is a pretty strong dude, a parallel set #3 is probably not out of left field.

Pavel is trying to make money, just like a lot of authors/gurus. I understand he has to market and hustle. He turned the TSC into a pay to participate, and I'm sure will have additional books/products that are a bit pricey just like he did with DD. It's his gig, and I don't hold it against him.

I hold Adam in much higher regard, for the fact that the man has paved his own way and readily practices what he preaches. The video evidence, and contest placement is undeniable.

I don't hold that against him. Make money, go for it.

Though I don't really train with KB's anymore, I went through first the "hardstyle" and then kettlebell sport training, so I can attest to the efficacy or lack thereof firsthand. That being said, what I do hold against him is that unlike VF, he teaches both a far less effective use of KB's and one that has a very high rate of long term injury to its practitioners. VF and Pavel are both gurus and their followers are definite cults. At least VF puts his money where his mouth is. For me, I'll just do my own thing. (bad word filter) gurus all around.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have gone to pressing dumbbells instead of kettlebells, just because in the 100#+ range, the pressure on the forearm was starting to cause issues for me. At least VF advocates kettleshields and designs his bells to reduce that pressure instead of telling people to suck it up.

What is it about the Lift/Feat article that is setting you guys off?

I did find it interesting where he discusses the differences between a lift and a feat. essentially he thinks the difference lies in how broadly they are contested for whatever reason. I think that in the very grip specific sense a feat is a fixed object while a lift is a scalable object. in other words, pinching 2x45 is a feat and 1hp is a lift. any other thoughts on this?

• Like 1

I'm not upset about the article. :flowers: I just find it amusing. I don't think many SFG/RKCs could mms a #3. Additionally, there are probably less KB related contests than there are grip contests.

I am only asking because I didn't see anywhere that Pavel was saying he can close a #3. I only saw where he said he worked up to closing it at one point. I know he told me this back in 2004, I think, around the time of the first Night of Strength.

• Like 1

In the first link at the start of this thread, Pavel mentions he parallel set a #3. I think it's great that he did it. I wonder if he was trying to work up to a ccs and cert?

I'm not upset about the article. :flowers: I just find it amusing. I don't think many SFG/RKCs could mms a #3. Additionally, there are probably less KB related contests than there are grip contests.

Actually Kettlebell Sport is pretty well contested now. It's gained a lot of popularity, especially with women.

I agree Mike, KB sport is contested regularly, but not 'Hardstyle' KB lifting other than the TSC. I would say that grip comps are more accessible than the TSC, especially now.

Brett Jones is one of the top guys in the organization and here's his highlight reel including a #3 close, card/phone tearing, some 106lb kb snatches and bottoms up holds, and a red nail bend. Super nice guy, too.

Edited by truth1ness

I always wondered why he didn't bother to cert. Seems like a decent guy from his articles. I've never met him.

Pavel has a long-term injury to one of his elbows. Not exactly sure on the story, but he can't straighten that arm. He and I did a call last year and we talked about gripper training. He wanted to get going with the grippers again. I am not sure where he is at. Been so busy that we haven't talked.

• Like 1

Brett Jones is one of the top guys in the organization and here's his highlight reel including a #3 close, card/phone tearing, some 106lb kb snatches and bottoms up holds, and a red nail bend. Super nice guy, too.

that dude is strong. not that big either.

He's also one of the top guys at Grey Cook's FMS (functional movement screen) organization and does/did combined RKC and FMS certifications. He hangs out on the strengthcoach.com forum and is a wealth of info and if you post a video there of yourself doing any KB move or powerlift or probably anything else he'll review it and give you feedback (along with some other coaches). My impression is he could easily be one of the all around fitness/training 'guru' guys but is more focused on building up the organizations from the inside than being in the spotlight. I never even knew he did any of those grip feats until recently just randomly stumbling onto that video.

Edited by truth1ness

From my experience Brett Jones is a good guy. I was fortunate enough to spend two days with him back in 2007 when I went through the RKC as he was my team leader. I can't tell you enough how much of a gentleman and all around good guy he was. No ego, just wanting to do everything in his power to make you better.

At that RKC I watched him bend a Red nail, which I had never seen before nor did I understand what it was. When I got home I googled Red Nail and the rest is history.

• Like 1