Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

A move to a new home is a big change. Dont worry about it.

it does affect things psychologically... something about my old basement i miss, although i like being able to work out with the garage open and night air pouring in, rather therapeutic... couldn't do that up north! :grin:

Putting the lbh into a 25 pound plate and curling....brilliant

thanks, it is the perfect midway between a 25/35 curl.. the 25 is a bit on the easy side but the 35 is a tad too heavy for the kind of timed, strict holds i'm incorporating back into my routine (when my axle and pinch strength are peaking, it just so happens to coincide with me faithfully doing the glamorous plate curls) lol. No denying the correlation, wrists tough = hands stronger

forgot to log some hub work last night

nothing spectacular - did KB style hub swings for 3 sets of 5 at 38#... swings have helped my 1hp, maybe they'll help my pathetic hub

Edited by jvance

BW 181.8

Today wide pinch holds, assorted blobs and plates for time... tried to hit as many angles and widths as possible

worked on the wide tractor weight pinch with 20lbs counterweighted on the seesaw... left was tough - got it up, but right was strong - all three attempts i was able to hold over 10 seconds

also muscle up work and progressively more difficult pistols - successful L/R hands behind back pistols completed as well (PR), muscle ups weren't fresh... no good looking ones but did get some hard fought attempts up

• Like 1

BW 183.2

2" axle DO 307.5#, 3x5

Thumbless 2x3

1x8 powershrug DO axle @ 285#, 2x8 thumbless @ 255

Tendons fried, trying to get overall strength back up... Did a bunch of squats too

Edited by jvance

i gave these a try, didn't hear of them before. Tad harder than pistols w/ hands at parade rest... i will start with the easier progressions and continually move toward the full shrimp... great deal of hip and ankle mobility, not to mention balance

It's really a test of balance for me. Much harder to stabilize than pistols it seems. I'm working up to an elevated shrimp.

On a side note, Eric sucks at pistols but was interestingly able to squeeze out a shrimp squat first try. Mobility may be his limiting factor.

So Yori, tried the shrimps again. Can do the standard (one arm out front) easily for 2-3 reps. I initially thought the movement was performed with both hands holding the foot. Tried and failed a bunch. I actually got this variation though on the left leg only when I tried again a little while ago. Thanks for the suggestion, definitely an awesome BW challenge. Really hoping to get the both hands-on-foot version mastered soon, as well as the parade rest pistol. Every once in a while ill bust out a sloppy one but I need much more balance and low ankle strength.

BW 185 (yay finally putting the size back on)

Planche/core training - assorted movements

Anvil grip training:

Sets of five alt. hands

Anvil loaded to 135 then 150#

Little big horn 150/160/165#, again each sets of 5 alt. hands

Strict plate curls on curl pad, 25# and 25#+LBH, then rear facing wrist curls w/ 25# plate, a 35# blob, and 55# on 2.8" DB...

Gotten away from the hardcore wrist strength and it started showing. Hands tired from axle yesterday but the work today hit different angles and tendons.

BW 184.6

trained heavy box squats and 2hp to after a good warmup...

singles to 193# for a five second hold

1hp various drills left and right @ 83#, swings 1x5, ten second timehold, taps 1x20, repeated

right hand addtl. work at 93#, swings 1x4 (dropped at five), ten second timehold

40# and 45# fatman taps on bench, sets of 10 and 5 respectively

13# sledgewalks and 8# shot put rotations between various sets; total volume was 5 walks each hand and 6x9 rotations plus last set managed 1x10... last rotation for ten a big challenge to get to... hope to rapidly increase volume in the coming weeks

wife brought me a home a 1060 page san antonio phonebook which i made quick work of as well :grin:

pistol and shrimp squat medley:

last two days not a whole lot, just putting in work - mainly active recovery but also a bunch of finger strength and dexterity stuff. Brookfieldesque.

more sledgewalks, prosups, shot rotations, and extensors - talking 2 hours worth last two nights - hoping my general hand strength and work capacity improve

on a side note, day three with the 8lb shots seeing continual improvement... first day struggled to get to 10 rotations without dropping one, now i'm consistently hitting ten and got 16 on my finisher (video was a clumsy set - but just in case people are wondering)... volume quotas for the first week remain at 50 rotations per hand per workout..... will be adding a bunch next week

BW 184.2

did my workout in the morning for a change, heavy wrist day

warmup w/ hang cleans 2" axle

working 2x10 thumbless power shrugs on axle @ 235#, 2x10 regular DO power shrugs w/ 255#, focused on full ROM each rep, felt great

then 3x5 axle seated wrist curls, good ROM... one more set of five wrist curls on the preacher curl pad. All reps were done at 165#

gonna try and keep this routine once a week as a supplement to the volume base axle work i've been doing

BW 185.7 (continuing to rebuild mass!)

2" axle day volume day

skipped the thumbless and just did 3x5, bumped up to 310#... felt so easy i was shocked, had 2-3 more reps in the tank each set and i was pulling it high with enough power to spin the bar back toward me at lockout like a high pull..

finished with 3x10 2" DB rows at 126#, alternating thumbless, reg, thumbless

felt very powerful today... very encouraged after a lackluster couple of weeks

BW 183, can't seem to consistently keep over 185 lately, i know calisthenics can do that to ya; but i've lost a bit of hard earned mass..

Another night in the trenches, putting in a mix of moderately intense, broad focused training along with plenty of light active work - tried to hit a bunch of angles

none of this is in specific order

25er plate curls gripping the outside handle, plate holds 2 sets ten seconds with 25 - light enough to not traumatize the tendons but still stimulate

strict sledge walks (forearms to curl pad), 12.5# hammer for three singles each hand

extensor bucket various timeholds with 18#

shot put dex rotations, 4 sets of 14 rotations each hand (getting more coordinated with those bad boys)

40# blob speed taps on my bench, 2-3 inches of air each rep, 2x12 each hand

35# blob by face taps, same height, 1x12

fatman and next gen figure eight drags over the rubber flooring, 4 sets of two complete back and forth laps... (12 foot from front to back so 48 foot approx. distance each drag, around 192 ft total work). Great way to get time under tension on those big blobs without having to lift the SOBs - doing the drags help me train the blob and wide pinch without going max effort

some euro and plate pinch work as well - stimulation not max effort

1 hand euro @ 50mm, KB style swings, sets of 5 with 63# and 73#

fatness gear 35s pinch swings, only three left but a solid five right.. also added 13 pounds via loading pin between and floated lefty and got two solid KB style swings with the right - pinch back on track :ph34r:

yeah it looks like i did a lot but none of this stuff was high effort except maybe the plate pinch work... so all in all a good night w/ some solid work put in

Hey Jon, do you know where I can find good heavy dexterity balls for a reasonable price?

Hey Jon, do you know where I can find good heavy dexterity balls for a reasonable price?

For free in your pants :D

• Like 1

For free in your pants :D

That's a great idea, but unfortunately those are probably too big for me to begin working with. I'd have to start with something lighter and work my way up to them.

• Like 1

Lmao

Anthony the cheapest I saw online were here: http://playground.epicsports.com/prod/45936/champro-track-field-cast-iron-shot-put.html

Not sure what the shipping is from them

got mine from dicks online, lol no more jokes

I think 20-25 each plus 10 shipped.. You might be able to get them shipped to store for less. Mine are pretty good quality, no imperfections and rather slick

They are well worth the investment, did dex work with baseballs before and the heavy ones are the money. Kody swears by then, wish I trained them from the start.

Edited by jvance
  • Like 2

Awesome, thanks man! What size would you recommend I get? I have a pair of dexterity balls but they're way, way, way lighter than those. Also, I'll check out dicks. Normally they wouldn't be my preference but if they carry the right balls then I'll have to give them my business.

*takes a bow*

I'm done.

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks man! What size would you recommend I get? I have a pair of dexterity balls but they're way, way, way lighter than those. Also, I'll check out dicks. Normally they wouldn't be my preference but if they carry the right balls then I'll have to give them my business.

*takes a bow*

I'm done.

giggity giggity

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

I imagine you got the golf ball sized warmup dexes? If you do or have a slightly heavier pair I'd go with 6-8 shots. The 6 you'll be able to work more right off the bat - the 8s are very difficult. If your hands are reasonably sized you'll master the 8s in time, but it depends on what you want them to do for you in the short term - if you have the patience to work on the 8s and improve or seek immediate results and workability with the 6s. My hands are 7.3/4 to 7/8ish with pretty good 9,3/8 spread and the 8s are hard to control. Your flooring and footwear are a concern too w/ the big boys.

• Like 2

BW back up to 185 yay

hang cleans oly bar, 3x10 @ 185

active recovery and stretching of hands and arms

5 toes to bar, strict and slow

light pinch swings with 41# tractor weight, approx. 2" width... 3x12 up two reps from last week. these were also stricter KB style swings. First set was conventional knuckled facing forward pinch, then turned inward, then outward... 15 reps next week

dexterity balls, 3 sets of 12 rotations, last set for max endurance.. managed 23/21 right/left... very good considering a week ago i could barely squeak out a tenth rotation - they will soon be toys.. my hands are starting to truly feel stronger after a week of dedicated work with intense dexterity work

Edited by jvance

BW 184.2

thickbar volume and explosive day

warmup with heavy box squats - cold in garage

2" axle thumbless power shrugs (spinning bar back at top) 1x10@ 235# like last week (way too easy), 1x10 @ 240#, still too easy, 1x10 @ 247.5# (hard, good 12.5# improvement)

same axle DO power shrugs, 2x10 @ 265# (challenging but good 10# improvement from last week)

2.8" DB handle halfway paused power cleans @ 78#, 3x5 both hands... right hand much easier, left was challenging

dex balls, 10 rotations each direction then switch hands, 2x20

assorted angle wrist tendon conditioning w/ sledgewalks and ext. bucket between sets (plate holds to the front and rear, 35# blob wrist holds front and rear)

lots of other different odds and ends

20141113, yesterday

Went for a run and manually cut my hedges with shears, good warmup for anvil - pretty much all i did for grip. Middleweight session

old anvil weighted to 148, 2 ten second holds each hand

LBH, to 160#, 20 reps each hand (was able to get 2-3 at a time consecutively and took about twenty second breaks) strength either coming back or getting stronger in bad friction conditions (very dry and cold)

double lifts, old anvil right @ 165# and LBH left at 160, 8-10 singles (lost count somewhere)

Today's session

Very cold, wore some very thick (old and stiff) military winter gloves... just did DO deadlifts conv. stance 2x5 @ 325, then 1x3 @ 345#

not much energy or motivation to do anything else - took an epsom salt bath and did some deep breathing and stretching

armaid session tonight, trying to prepare myself for another weight/volume jump on the axle this Sunday - planning on 3x5 @ 315, maybe higher if i'm recovered well

BW 186.6

2" axle DO, warmup to 317#, 3x5 (a bit more challenging than the sets w/ 310 last week but pulled each rep strong)

got a wild hair and did some euro 2hp, triple with 163#, double with 183#, nine second hold with 193#, and a four second hold with 200# (felt surprisingly strong today even w/ a freezing ass garage) would have attempted higher but my thumbs were on the verge of tearing

went back and did 175# for 2x5 axle wrist curls on the pad

8# dex rotations 25/25

rear facing blob curls w/ 40# right/35# left, 25 plate +LBH

random holds with the 40# blob and a couple sets of quick-taps