Lightup Gripper Prototype

acorn

I have been waiting to see how that gizmo works for a while. It looks great... well done Aaron.

• Like 1

This is genius. When I visited Aaron this past summer I called him the mad scientist of grip. He has really great ideas.

This is amazing. And it looks so clean. Two thumbs up.

This is genius. When I visited Aaron this past summer I called him the mad scientist of grip. He has really great ideas.

Mwahahahahah! Thanks buddy, you are welcome back anytime.

This is amazing. And it looks so clean. Two thumbs up.

Thanks EJ.

Dude, that rocks!

Having that tech. installed on the MM grippers would be awesome!

Does it work even if the handles barely touch?.. Like, is it super sensitive?

Too cool man.

yep super sensitive. Barely brush the handles and it will light up. Edited by acorn

Really awesome. That would simplify cert attempts and "was it closed?" situations.. Hope this goes to production! The idea is really good and I would like it to be the future of grippers.

• Like 1

Nice work man :flowers:

I already was thinking some time ago why there isn´t such a thing.

(Isolation between the handels may be the point)

You know we "boys" need things to play with, don´t we?

D5mUAP.jpg

• Like 3

As the guys have said, this is brilliant! I find it very impressive that although a prototype it looks finished!

If you want another idea: you could add a counter to count the reps as they're done. :grin:

• Like 2

As the guys have said, this is brilliant! I find it very impressive that although a prototype it looks finished!

If you want another idea: you could add a counter to count the reps as they're done. :grin:

And the counter could yell out "YEAHHHH!" in Lil Jon's voice each time a rep is completed. :grin:

• Like 2

Awesome work, Aaron. This can be very marketable and I'd suggest getting a patent immediately.

Aaron,

I am completely impressed! You just brought grippers into the technological realm. While there are certainly those that enjoy the simplicity of typical strength based endeavors (read that as moving iron or weight), there are others, especially younger folks, that crave technology in their pursuits of strength. I think this would have great appeal to many, including me. Very well done, sir!

Tom

• Like 1

So based on the response it looks like you guys liked it. I will keep working on it and make the tooling needed to make these faster. This first finished prototype took me about 4 weeks of spare time as many of the operations were still being figured out and do not have tooling yet to make them efficient. The basic design and all the electronics were already figured out though. Lots of time with a file and remaking parts that didn't play out the way I liked. Thankfully I was able to get the indicator lens design figured out as that is what caused me to stop working on it a couple years back. Just not enough room to get full light expansion. I did finally have an idea this time around that worked for that though and here we are. The whole electronics module including batteries is about 29mm long or 1.15" in order to keep as much structural integrity in the handle as possible. Batteries take up about half that length.

If I can get the time to make one done to a reasonable amount it might actually be relatively reasonably priced. Still more than the custom MM grippers though I'm sure partially because of additional parts / materials but mostly due to time to fabricate and assemble. Another option would be something Vulcan like or modified Vulcan with light up handle as well.

- Aaron

• Like 2

How sealed is it? Would chalk work its way in you think?

How sealed is it? Would chalk work its way in you think?

Pretty sealed. It would not survive a dunk in water or anything but no chalk would be able to make it's way in. Also sturdy enough to survive drops, etc. Already had a coworker drop it here at work. The whole electronics portion is in it's own removable module in order to change batteries.

• Like 1

Does it change the dynamics or difficulty of an already prerated gripper? I wonder if the MM grippers could be outfitted with the light system, if they prove to have no effect on close difficulty... Although you'd probably want to get your patents in order before someone reverse engineers it lol.

Beautiful, elegant, genius! Amazing work Aaron!

Isn't someone on the board a lawyer, get your idea protected from the vultures that copy everything!

I didn't notice any difference in 'balance'. It shouldn't effect closing difficulty, as there is no change to the spring, and the aluminum does not flex.

In Russia they been selling http://fingerterminator.ru/fingerterminator.htmlbut it's better on a torsion spring gripper

That's an interesting design. Very 'old school', there are diagrams of how to make those and similar grip strength tools around the web. I was looking at an old book in the archives the other day, that had a similar design. I will have to see if I can find the link.

• 3 weeks later...

I received as a gift last night a calibrated gripper with an adjustable set stop and a red signal light when desired poundage is met. We ,as inventors are about 70-80 years late. Thing is a piece of art and proudly cast into the frame"23 patents in 23 countries" it is super cool. I guess patents are expired but not good imagination is not .

• Like 2

I received as a gift last night a calibrated gripper with an adjustable set stop and a red signal light when desired poundage is met. We ,as inventors are about 70-80 years late. Thing is a piece of art and proudly cast into the frame"23 patents in 23 countries" it is super cool. I guess patents are expired but not good imagination is not .

Very cool. Yes I researched the patents on the design and found quite a few. I could probably still get one or 2 for the improvements but the hassle may not be worth it. Still thinking on it. Gonna likely make a few of them though.

- Aaron