Chez vs The MM8: Whatever it takes

Chez

Thanks Gil! Hey. I want to say congrats to you as well on many things:

First you are killing it with running successful comps. Everyone seems to love your events and you are coming up with great ideas for them (that team event etc.).

Second congrats on your placing at the living legend contest. Crazy tough field and you came in third among those beasts.  

And third on your grip equipment. I just bought the flask and used it for the first time and I love it. Very smart design. Didn't kill my webbing, small and light weight so easy to bring to the gym. 

• Like 2

Chez, I'm glad you've had such success with your recovery from a devastating injury. I'd assumed that a once-injured bicep would always look a little different and perhaps lose some function-glad that's not true! I'm looking forward to seeing you accomplishing many more great things and having lots of fun in the process!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odin said:

Chez, I'm glad you've had such success with your recovery from a devastating injury. I'd assumed that a once-injured bicep would always look a little different and perhaps lose some function-glad that's not true! I'm looking forward to seeing you accomplishing many more great things and having lots of fun in the process!

Thank Bob. I have always respected your drive and determination. I was also worried how the bicep would turn out. I looked online and saw people complaining about having a larger gap between the bicep and the elbow or discomfort or range of motion problems. I can honesty say I had no issues. If anyone near has the same accident I would recommend my doctor in a heartbeat because he also has great bed side manner. When I first met him he really explained the surgery and even drew me a picture of what he would do. I mentioned the type of attachment World's strongest man Brian Shaw had done when he tore his bicep since I wanted a strong repair and he told me why he doesn't use that technique. He is also funny. Other doctors made me feel stupid for even lifting heavy weights and competing etc. I learned about him from doing research online. He was an expert witness in a court case involving the same injury. I then looked up his reviews and he has tons of reviews and they are all really positive. 

I'm looking forward to not only getting my strength back, but going even further with a healthy fear. This is my first strength training injury. I want to close COC #4s again.    

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

You will close 4s again, no doubts about that. 

• Like 1

Hey man glad to see you recovered very well . I'm pretty new to the board and may I ask how you tore your bicep ?

1 hour ago, Roger Roberson said:

Hey man glad to see you recovered very well . I'm pretty new to the board and may I ask how you tore your bicep ?

Hey buddy. Welcome to the board. I tore my bicep on my last training session before the King Kong grip competition last  October. We ran a simulated comp and on the last event the 2 inch V bar I tore it because I had the wrong hand and arm placement and lifted explosively. I had been real busy that year since I bought my first home and went through renovations etc. on top of getting ready to host the ny location for the global comp. I wasnt focused and I paid for it.

Edited by Chez

Glad to see its fixed up good. Injuries bring out the mental toughness and successful comebacks make you stronger and smarter after injuries. Best of strength.

4 hours ago, GripAustria said:

You will close 4s again, no doubts about that. 

2 minutes ago, jvance said:

Glad to see its fixed up good. Injuries bring out the mental toughness and successful comebacks make you stronger and smarter after injuries. Best of strength.

Thanks fellas. I'll get back to where I was. Just gotta be patient grind it out.

Hey man sorry for late response had run and do something . It's good to be here really Kool environment . Man that must have been painful glad to see your healthy again .

On August 25, 2016 at 9:16 PM, Roger Roberson said:

Hey man sorry for late response had run and do something . It's good to be here really Kool environment . Man that must have been painful glad to see your healthy again .

Thanks dude. Luckily it didn't hurt at all.

My new toy arrived today. Can't wait to play this weekend

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Couldn't work out yesterday because my girl's parents came over and stayed late. It's cool though because I really like them. Got to the gym late today because I took my car to the shop and it took a long time.   Sunday at my work gym with no ac so I was dripping sweat all over the floor. Since I got there late I had to move quickly so even more of a cardio feel with less rest between sets. Here is today's workout without listing the warm up sets:

Smith Machine Bench Press - 1 set of 5 reps and 2 sets of 3 reps

Incline dumbbell bench press - 2 sets of 10 reps and 1 set of 8 reps

Alternating dumbbell curls - 2 sets of 10 reps

Hammer dumbbell curls - 2 sets of 8 reps

smith machine squats - 3 sets of 5 reps

lying hamstring curls - 3 sets of 10 reps

MMS Grippers

176 lb rated MM3 replica - 4 singles. Felt real strong on these. My set has been weak since the surgery because I lost a lot of upper body strength but today setting this felt nice and smooth. Exploded and felt the handles grind together. 

174 RB 280 - 3 singles. Probably could have kept going with the MM3 but I dropped down and wrecked this gripper.

RBA adjustable negatives with 10 second hold 3 times. 

silvis Frankenstein gripper - 5 singles. Most of this was figuring out the best setting to use at this point of the workout when I'm fatigued. Found a good setting to leave it on.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2016 at 4:44 PM, Chez said:

Thanks Gil! Hey. I want to say congrats to you as well on many things:

First you are killing it with running successful comps. Everyone seems to love your events and you are coming up with great ideas for them (that team event etc.).

Second congrats on your placing at the living legend contest. Crazy tough field and you came in third among those beasts.  

And third on your grip equipment. I just bought the flask and used it for the first time and I love it. Very smart design. Didn't kill my webbing, small and light weight so easy to bring to the gym. 

You are too kind. :bow Keep on punishing those grippers, brother.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Couldn't work out yesterday because my girl's parents came over and stayed late. It's cool though because I really like them. Got to the gym late today because I took my car to the shop and it took a long time.   Sunday at my work gym with no ac so I was dripping sweat all over the floor. Since I got there late I had to move quickly so even more of a cardio feel with less rest between sets. Here is today's workout without listing the warm up sets:

Smith Machine Bench Press - 1 set of 5 reps and 2 sets of 3 reps

Incline dumbbell bench press - 2 sets of 10 reps and 1 set of 8 reps

Alternating dumbbell curls - 2 sets of 10 reps

Hammer dumbbell curls - 2 sets of 8 reps

smith machine squats - 3 sets of 5 reps

lying hamstring curls - 3 sets of 10 reps

MMS Grippers

176 lb rated MM3 replica - 4 singles. Felt real strong on these. My set has been weak since the surgery because I lost a lot of upper body strength but today setting this felt nice and smooth. Exploded and felt the handles grind together. 

174 RB 280 - 3 singles. Probably could have kept going with the MM3 but I dropped down and wrecked this gripper.

RBA adjustable negatives with 10 second hold 3 times. 

silvis Frankenstein gripper - 5 singles. Most of this was figuring out the best setting to use at this point of the workout when I'm fatigued. Found a good setting to leave it on.

Glad to see you recovering.  MM3 Replica for singles...strong :bow

2 hours ago, Chez said:

10 hours ago, Forever said:

Glad to see you recovering.  MM3 Replica for singles...strong :bow

Thanks buddy. Slow and steady wins the race. I'll stick to the routine I always followed and increase the workload every workout when I can 

My friend from work just joined the work gym so I made up the workout I missed this weekend with him tonight. He's an ex marine but has not lifted for 2.5 years and never did stuff like deadlifts and squats. He also weighs about 100 lbs less than me and is 2 inches shorter. We had limited time so we moved from set to set quickly. Here is what we did without the warm up sets and he did slightly higher reps:

Standing overhead barbell press - 3 sets of 5 reps

Rear dumbbell raises - 3 sets of 10 reps

Skull crushers right into close grip explosive chest press- 3 sets of 8 - 10 reps

Rope tricep extensions - 3 sets of 10 reps

Machine rows - 3 sets of 10 - 15 reps

Lat pull downs - 3 sets of 8-10 reps

Deadlifts - 3 sets of 8-10. First time doing these since the surgery so I kept it super light. Just testing the arm.
Def move up next time.

By the end he said he was light headed and dizzy. He had to sit a few times and run and get water multiple times. Mission accomplished! He also said he may come with me on the weekend to learn grip. We will see if he wants to keep training but I enjoyed having a partner for the first time in a long time.

• Like 1

So my friend at work already asked when we are training next and specifically asked about grip training. Can't wait to torture him with Squats and grippers!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Hit the gym real quick before dinner. Busy weekend. Slept over my girls parents house Friday night and woke up early to help set up for a family party there the next day. Stayed late to help clean up also. Here is what I did tonight without the warm ups:

Bench press - 2 sets of 5 reps. Weight was feeling light tonight so I threw on some more and hit it for 8 on the last set for a bench PR since surgery.

Incline dumbbell bench press - 1 sets of 8 and 2 sets of 6 reps

pec deck fly machine - 3 sets of 8-10 reps

reverse pec deck fly machine to hit rear delts - 3 sets of 8 - 10 reps

alternating dumbbell curls - 2 sets of 8 reps

dumbbell hammer curls - 1 sets of 8 reps

ab machine crunches - 3 sets of 20

Good session at the gym today. Here is the workout without the warm ups::

Smith Machine Squats - 3 sets of 5 reps. The last 2 sets were with the most weight since the surgery. 

Smith Machine standings calves - 3 sets of 20 reps

lying hamstring curls - 3 sets of 10

Arnold dumbbell shoulder presses - 3 sets of 10

Rope Tricep Extensions - 3 sets of 10

Machine Rows - 3 sets of 10 

Lat pull downs - 3 sets of 10

Left Hand Grippers MMS

172 lb COC #3.5 - 2 singles

165 lb Elite - 5 singles

RBA Adjustable - 3 negatives with a 10 second hold 

• Like 1

I worked out Thursday with my friend from work and Yesterday I hit grippers and some accessory lifting. I don't want to backlog the workouts since it was status quo stuff except yesterday I felt the strongest I have on right hand grippers since the surgery.

I closed my 180 lb COC #3.5 MMS right hand with authority twice in yesterday's workout with the second close being the most impressive since I really grinded the handles together. Strength is coming back nicely. My momentum is building and I'm having fighting to get the strength back. This week I will start 5/3/1 again with my friend from work. I'm 100% recovered so its time to get back to heavy lifting. I may just take it easy with deadlifts for a little while though. That will be the only lift I continued to back off on. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

Started 5/3/1 last night. We tested our current maxes for the heavy movements using reps and formula. Hit Bench press, decline dumbbell bench press, Squats, rear delt raises, lat pull downs. Was suppose to low back machine but ran out of time. Will make it up this weekend. 

My new workout schedule will be 5/3/1 lifting 2 nights during the week and grip and any accessory lifting on the weekends.  

• Like 1

Went to the local gym right near my place with my girl tonight. I did cardio! Yes, you read that right. I actually did cardio but very light. I still feel dirty...... She's going to join and gym and do cardio with me. I'm teaching her some weight training. Great thing is that the gym is walking distance from our place since she doesn't have a car.

On 9/12/2016 at 11:03 AM, Chez said:

I worked out Thursday with my friend from work and Yesterday I hit grippers and some accessory lifting. I don't want to backlog the workouts since it was status quo stuff except yesterday I felt the strongest I have on right hand grippers since the surgery.

I closed my 180 lb COC #3.5 MMS right hand with authority twice in yesterday's workout with the second close being the most impressive since I really grinded the handles together. Strength is coming back nicely. My momentum is building and I'm having fighting to get the strength back. This week I will start 5/3/1 again with my friend from work. I'm 100% recovered so its time to get back to heavy lifting. I may just take it easy with deadlifts for a little while though. That will be the only lift I continued to back off on. 

Awesome that on the 2nd rep. you grinded  those handles!!  Very impressive.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paul Markowski said:

Awesome that on the 2nd rep. you grinded  those handles!!  Very impressive.

Thanks bud. Getting back to my glory days slowly. 

Trained regular weight lifting Friday after work with my friend from work. We tested our maxes using reps and a formula for standing overhead press and deadlifts. Only thing worth mentioning is that I haven't lost as much on deads as I thought since this is like the second doing them since the surgery. Still held back though to be safe. 

On Sunday I trained left grippers and pinch by myself. Not too much to report except I love the flask from barrell strength. 

Starting 5/3/1 officially tomorrow night after work with bud from work. 

I also moved into an office for the first time in my career today. It will take some getting use to. Always in a cube before. Onwards and upwards!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2