Starting Strength Log

dlewis8589

You will learn to love rep prs! They are the bread and butter of progress. Love the work in here, solid.

That means allot coming from you sir. Thank you, i'm trying lol

8/12/2104

Bench Press: 1x1-155lbs(Weight PR)

Cont. Clean & Press: 1x1-112lbs(DO)

2x2-122lbs(Weight PR)

1x3-112lbs

Pull Ups: 3x5-BW(back was still sore from sunday)

So I convinced a guy at work to train with me, he's my age, a few inches shorter and weighs 250lbs. I just told him that he's built so perfect for my sport, and it'd be a shame if he didn't at least give it an honest try, so after work we trained. He Maxed 135 on bench( pretty impresive i think because i'm not qualified to teach the movement, and it is only 5-10lbs lower than my previous pr, witch I had been training for a couple months to get. Then he did 5 reps of DO axle deadlifts for each set of c&p's(same weight as me) and some 30lb db rows. I hope he sticks with it, because I really wanna see how strong he can get

I'm curious if your sport is gripsport, powerlifting, or strongman.

I'm guessing strongman?

You guessed correct sir :)

8/13/2014

Squat: 3x3-195lbs(Weight PR)

"Obscene Heavy High Squat off Rack Pins": 3x8-245lbs (5 second hold at top each rep)

Sandbag Loading: 1x2-85lbs/ bag ripped on dip stand handle, (bad word filter) (bad word filter) (bad word filter) mother(bad word filter)ing cocksucking bitch whore!!!!!!!!!!!

Axle Pendaly Rows: 3x8-92lbs

• Like 1

Your skwatz is strong.

Get a duffle bash from a mil surplus store.

Buy bags of sand. Also get contractor trash bags (3mm).

Bag the sand in 10 and 20# increments. Tie them.

Place as many as you want in duffle.

Your skwatz is strong.

Get a duffle bash from a mil surplus store.

Buy bags of sand. Also get contractor trash bags (3mm).

Bag the sand in 10 and 20# increments. Tie them.

Place as many as you want in duffle.

Thanks bro, much appreciated. Squats have good carryover to bench, right? ;)

Man I can't remember the last time I was so mad, just finished cleaning up the gravel from the garage. inner bags will be a must, and a bag that doesn't have a handle(thats what it caught on).

I heard that my squat and your bench have carryover to each other.

Geez, cleaning sucks even without gravel!

• Like 1

I heard that my squat and your bench have carryover to each other.

Geez, cleaning sucks even without gravel!

Best response to a question I've ever received

Edited by dlewis8589

8/15/2014

Cont. C&P: 4x2-122lbs(Volume PR)

Strict Standing Press: 2x10-75lbs

1x9-75lbs

Dips: 1x10-BW

1x9-BW

1x6-BW

8/17/2014

DO Deadift: 1x5-255lbs(Weight PR)

DO Axle Rack Pulls: 3x3-222lbs(5 second hold each rep)(Weight Pr)

Pull Ups: 5x3- BW+10lbs

1x2-BW+10lbs(Volume PR)

Strict DB Curl: 3x10- 20lbs(Volume PR)

Hell Yah! 1.5xBW Double-Overhand (belt less)DL for 5 reps! I know this wouldn't even be a proper warmup for most of you, but i'm real happy about this one. They were really hard though, and TBH I had no business going for that 5th rep(form was ATROCIOUS) but goddamnet I was getting this today! Starting next week I'm going to be doing DL's with a belt, so that should be interesting.

Edited by dlewis8589
  • Like 1

8/19/2014

Bench Press: 3x5-125lbs

DO Cont. C&P: 2x3-112lbs

3x3-102lbs

Chin-ups: 3x5-BW

1x4-BW

DB Cuban Rotations: 3x12-10lbs

So to change things up I did chin ups instead of pull ups, and surprisingly i'm stronger in pull-ups than chin-ups.

So to change things up I did chin ups instead of pull ups, and surprisingly i'm stronger in pull-ups than chin-ups.

That is surprising! I wonder why.

Also, proud of you for doing rotator cuff work. That is something most trainees don't bother with and end up paying for dearly.

That is surprising! I wonder why.

Also, proud of you for doing rotator cuff work. That is something most trainees don't bother with and end up paying for dearly.

Its probably just because i've never seriously done chin-ups before, once I get more used to the movement it might even out, but I still don't see them rocketing past my pull ups.

Thank you sir, as an aspiring strongman athlete, not taking care of my shoulders might not be so smart lol

• Like 1

Good log. Determined. Like the feelings Jedd put in words. Best of luck!

Did THE Richard Sorin just comment on my little old log?????????

Thank you very much sir, that really means allot. Its people like you that drive me to train as hard as I can and see what my body is capable of.

Best of luck to you too!

Im seeing good things in this log... Keeping it balanced. I hate to see strong guys who mega focus on just bending or grippers then disappear (likely because of injury or burn out)... Got to do it right from the beginning... The body doesn't give do overs.. Good work, keep it up

• Like 2

Im seeing good things in this log... Keeping it balanced. I hate to see strong guys who mega focus on just bending or grippers then disappear (likely because of injury or burn out)... Got to do it right from the beginning... The body doesn't give do overs.. Good work, keep it up

Thanks brother, when I decided to lay off grippers for a bit was when I realized that the guys closing 3.5's and ghp 8's, did not get their strength by doing just grippers

8/20/2014

Squat: 1x5-195lbs(Rep PR)

2x3-195lbs

"Obscene Heavy High Squat off Rack Pins": 3x8-250lbs (5 second hold at top each rep)(Weight PR)

Toes to Bar Swings?: 3x5-BW

DB "Blockweight" Deadlift to Chest:

RH: 1x3-25lbs

5x1-30lbs

1x3-25lbs

LH: 1x3-25lbs

3x1-30lbs

2x3-25lbs

Wasn't feeling too great going in but turned out to be a great workout. The toes to bar swings are a core exercise I saw my mom doing, you just hang from a pull up bar and (from a dead hang) touch the bottom of your toes to the bar, not exactly sure what their called though. Also I decided that my grip work on this day from now on will be block weight training. They were allot of fun! Wasn't exactly sure what to call those either though, but after the deadlift I continued to pull the DB up to my chest similar to what I see people do with the IM Hub.

8/15/2014

Cont. C&P: 1x1,3xFail-122lbs

1x1,2xFail-112lbs

Strict Standing Press: 2x10-75lbs

1x8-75lbs

Dips: 2x10-BW

1x8-BW

My strength is on vacation today, so took it light…..

I think the toes to bar is a variation of "hanging leg raises".

The db lifts are block weight high pulls, or in this case inverted dumbbell high pulls.

• Like 1

When you feel like your strength is down, it's perfectly ok to take a unscheduled day off from whatever you planned that day. This doesn't necessarily mean deload, but work on something completely different. Examples would be to 1. Use a different implement (aka do sandbag clean and press instead of axle c&p), 2. Work on a skill related to that lift (such as doing a dynamic effort style lift using light weights and moving the bar fast), or 3. Rep the empty bar out until you exhaust yourself (the body part or parts that fatigue first during this are often your weak links, and at very least this gets blood moving to the muscles the lift uses). Good work on the squat pr, and nice job all around.

• Like 2

8/24/2014

DO Deadift: 1x5-260lbs(Weight PR)

DO Static Holds: 3x10seconds-285lbs(Weight Pr)/1xTo Failure-275lbs

Front Squat: 3x3-160lbs

Pull Ups: 2x5- BW+10lbs(Rep PR)

1x3-BW+10lbs

Strict DB Curl: 1x12- 20lbs(Rep PR)

1x10-20lbs

1x6-20lbs

Used a belt for deadlifts today, first time ever using one. It helped allot. Not sure what my belt protocol will be, right now I'm thinking just to use on working sets of main movements. I did use the belt during my warm up sets on the deadlift, but thats because I wanted to see how using the belt felt. Only used it for deadlifts.

• Like 1