Another Haugen Grip Contest, San Jose, Ca

Hubgeezer

Here is a link to the 3rd Northern California Fit Expo Grip Contest (plus other Haugen-produced events including MAS, Strongman):

Bah. Couldn't get the link to work...

Anyway, no Hub this time. Just the Rolling Thunder, Axle Deadlift, and Silver Bullet.

Edited by Hubgeezer

• 2 weeks later...

?^. Anyone else think this is inappropriate?

cocky yes. Not really inappropriate. Maybe he's really proud of his hub, possibly a one trick pony thing? Lol

• 4 weeks later...

One trick pony? Maybe so although I've pinched 2 45s left and right handed, closed a coc 3, lifted 200lbs on europinch, bent a red nail first try in ironmind pads, and will destroy anyone at the hub with either hand. None of this is mind blowing, but I will say, AT LEAST I HAVE ONE TRICK and that is the hub. If you know anyone that can put up numbers in the 90lb range on the hub let me know. I'd like to meet them. ciao.

:sleeping:

Edited by jvance

One trick pony? Maybe so although I've pinched 2 45s left and right handed, closed a coc 3, lifted 200lbs on europinch, bent a red nail first try in ironmind pads, and will destroy anyone at the hub with either hand. None of this is mind blowing, but I will say, AT LEAST I HAVE ONE TRICK and that is the hub. If you know anyone that can put up numbers in the 90lb range on the hub let me know. I'd like to meet them. ciao.

Rules of the GripBoard

1. Posts, avatars, and signatures may not contain: profanity, flaming, personal attacks, nudity, spam, rants, debates, politics, negativity, fund-raisers, or advertisements.

2. World Class feats must be supported with video evidence. Posts without proof will be locked until proof is provided.

3. Posting of copyrighted material without consent of the owner of the material is not allowed.

4. We do not talk about performance enhancing drugs on the GripBoard.

5. No posting of explicit instructions and pictures on how to build "knock-off" equipment made by any company (not just sponsors).

6. Private messages are PRIVATE on the Internet. Reposting ANY parts of a message received via a private messaging system, emails, etc., without permission that is related to GRIPBOARD in any way (posting, bans, etc.) will result in an immediate lifetime ban.

Rule number 2: World Class Feats MUST be supported with video evidence. If your Hub is 90 lbs then I believe you are around seven pounds over the World Record.
I'm not saying you haven't lifted that much , but a video link would go a long way here on the GripBoard. Just something to think about. If there is a video of this lift I'm sorry in advance because I couldn't find it. :)

Ahem...back on this contest. Anyone know who is competing? I guess I will email Haugen and ask him. Right now the only two I know are Mike Corlett and Amy Wattles.

*Edit. I just emailed OH. Will give feedback on what he says.

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 1

91 lbs

96 lbs but dropped

Time to contact ironmind.

• 1 month later...

The contest is this Sunday. There are 12 entrants. Other than Odd Haugen, no "big names" this time. Clay Edgin is in.

Three women entrants. Amy is driving down from Idaho with her husband. That is over 600 miles away. A few guys who are not names but are regularly at these Fit Expos in the grip contest are back. Half of the fellows I never heard of, which doesn't mean they are not strong. It should be fun.

Grip contest is Sunday. There are 12 competitors. I am familiar with 5 of them, don't know the other 6. Haugen and Clay Edgin are in. Three fellows who are regularly in the "Fit Expo" contests, being veterans of at least two of them: Jon Ecklund, Martins Licis, and Evan Hansmann.

Three ladies in the comp, including Amy driving down from Idaho, 600 plus miles away.

I don't see any men's world records being broken, but in the women's, maybe...

Both Jon and Martins are very strong for their weight. I expect they will do well.

Both Jon and Martins are very strong for their weight. I expect they will do well.

Yeah, don't know if I have ever seen or heard of Martins except when I see him at these things. EXTREMELY strong, very young, and can out pull all but a few guys on the Apollon's Axle. I am not sure what his "specialty" is, as I don't think he is a "grip guy", or a strongman, or a powerlifter. HIs English is very good considering I think he was born and raised in Lithuania...what is he, 23 at most?

Yeah, don't know if I have ever seen or heard of Martins except when I see him at these things. EXTREMELY strong, very young, and can out pull all but a few guys on the Apollon's Axle. I am not sure what his "specialty" is, as I don't think he is a "grip guy", or a strongman, or a powerlifter. HIs English is very good considering I think he was born and raised in Lithuania...what is he, 23 at most?

I just did a search on the Gripboard for "Licis", and the only place his name popped up was on a few Fit Expo threads. Seems like a guy more people should know more about, very nice fellow.

So Mike, any results?

I'm very curious how Clay did, I thought he was kinda out of the grip scene.

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2014/Jul/Amy_Wattles-World_Record_on_the_Apollonxs_Axle.html

That is the biggest news. Clay had 33 plus seconds for the Silver Bullet, 2nd to 24 hour old Captain of Crush Jon Eckland of 44 plus seconds. I got 3rd on the Silver Bullet w/ 22 plus seconds. Haugen had a good day, but he wisely passed on the silver bullet. Danielle won the MAS Wrestling for the ladies. Grip guys need to start paying attention to Martins Licis, as he too had a great day. If the event was scored in total (it was not, only individual events, I think he would have won it), The guy is only 23 years old, and gets stronger every time I see him.

Congrats to Amy!

And Odd never ceases to amaze 210kg at what 60, 61 years of age?

Offtopic but I guess you would know, Mike:

Has Ironmind changed the Rolling Thunder again?

The new model was said to be harder than the old one, and now the WR is at 150kg, Odd pulls 120kg...

I mean 130kg used to be the WR a few years ago.

I don't think the Rolling Thunder has changed. I know at first everyone thought the new version was so difficult, but I don't believe there is much difference.

Every competitor was chalking, except me. I was wiping the chalk off with a towel I brought before I would lift. I hate chalk on the device, or on my hands with RT. There are a few of us that way, but not many. I was going every lift: 171 left, 182 left, 193 fail left lift right, 204 fail (not too far off of all the way up). I think it was the same device as the previous year, but it "felt" better this time. And that is the way it went for Haugen this time as well. I say "humidity" has a huge impact as to performance, as well as the individual's person hydration. Some people think I am nuts for saying that, but I am convinced it is a big factor.

I say "humidity" has a huge impact as to performance, as well as the individual's person hydration. Some people think I am nuts for saying that, but I am convinced it is a big factor.

I absolutely believe that. It always drives me nuts, how many variables there are in 2 hand pinch.

Odd turned 64 this year. He spent all his time between attempts sitting at the computer writing up the brackets for the MAS wrestling, unlike the rest of us who stood around and actually warmed up.

Martins Licis (originally of Latvia) is definitely strong. I've seen him do 210kg on the axle before and it looked easy He can deadlift the Inch consistently. He's also a 600+ raw squatter and 700+ raw deadlifter. Tremendous athlete. He was also the Absolute Champion in the MAS wrestling Sunday, meaning he beat not only everyone in his class, but the winners of all the other weight classes too. He'll be going to Russia to represent the U.S. in the World Championships later this year.

My grip was fatigued from just finishing a 3 minute MAS bout moments before but Jon earned the victory fair and square over me in the Silver Bullet hold. He also lifted 226 on the Rolling Thunder when I could only lift 215lbs. I still considered this an improvement since I failed with 204 on that handle in January.

Edited by ClayEdgin

Haugen and age: I wonder if there is ANYONE in the world at his age or older who is stronger than him? I guess I am talking about "power lifting" numbers.

He gave up Strongman, and moved a bit more into Grip. Now he is doing this MAS Wrestling, which at his age, seems insane to me. Talk about wanting to go out with a sword in your hand like a true Viking.

His numbers yesterday were the best I had seen from him in a few years...