Training Children And Country Crush.

PeterSweden

Anyone got ideas for training children?

My oldest daughter is turning 8 yrs soon and I have seen great strength potential in her all her life.

She likes to train with me and often times she goes with me to the gym.

I want to structure some kind of program for her, general body strength and some grip.

For a few weeks I've had her do pushups, bw squats, chinups, and 1,5" wrist wrench lifts.

Sometimes she gets excited about training and want to do more, and I let her. Like bicepcurls, dips between two benches and some more grip, often thickbar of some sort.

We started with 5x10 bw squats, 5x3 pushups, 5x2 chinups.

Increasing squats with two reps and pushups and chins with one rep each session.

I saw a video of a little girl training with a country crush handle for armwrestling on youtube.

Im thinking of buying one for her for her birthday.

That could combine griptraining with all sorts of rows and pullup variations.

Are they any good?

I dont think that too many exercises, sets and reps would maintain her interest so it has to be specific and basic.

She is by far the most muscular and strong girl I've seen irl.

I really want her to like and excel at some kind of strength sport.

• Like 2

I train my sons, when they were young I just had they do pushups and chin ups. I would steer way from any thick bar work because even a 2" bar is too thick for their little hands.

• Like 1

You might want to check out the Long Term Athletic Development model. The link below is a practical application article from it. Scroll down and you will see some charts. The charts list movements that should be practiced, reviewed, etc for certain ages. It’s pretty good stuff. The key with any of this is to make it fun so they want to do it.

http://www.nsca.com/education/articles/practical-application-for-long-term-athletic-development/

• Like 1

I train my sons, when they were young I just had they do pushups and chin ups. I would steer way from any thick bar work because even a 2" bar is too thick for their little hands.

Yeah! I built her a wrist wrench that is like 1,5" thick. It fits her well. She has big hands :)

You might want to check out the Long Term Athletic Development model. The link below is a practical application article from it. Scroll down and you will see some charts. The charts list movements that should be practiced, reviewed, etc for certain ages. It’s pretty good stuff. The key with any of this is to make it fun so they want to do it.

http://www.nsca.com/education/articles/practical-application-for-long-term-athletic-development/

Gonna look it up for sure!