How Do I Get Started Armwrestling.

Josh O'Dell

I have never aw in a tournement or anything

like that, i have always been good just messim

Around but always wanted to try in a real comp.

Does anyone no where i could try in Ohio?? I live

in Jackson county. Maybe a fair even? And is there

a good link to some good aw training info, I have no

aw knowledge or how it all works, but i would like

to learn thanks.

I have never aw in a tournement or anything

like that, i have always been good just messim

Around but always wanted to try in a real comp.

Does anyone no where i could try in Ohio?? I live

in Jackson county. Maybe a fair even? And is there

a good link to some good aw training info, I have no

aw knowledge or how it all works, but i would like

to learn thanks.

You may want to ask Eric Rousinn, James Retarides (great book he wrote), and Ben Crush for some advice and information. All knowledgeable and know what they are talking about. You can also find tournament information from the Northeast Arm Wrestling board and find practice information, etc.

Edited by 33wes

I have never aw in a tournement or anythinglike that, i have always been good just messimAround but always wanted to try in a real comp.Does anyone no where i could try in Ohio?? I livein Jackson county. Maybe a fair even? And is therea good link to some good aw training info, I have noaw knowledge or how it all works, but i would liketo learn thanks. You may want to ask Eric Rousinn, James Retarides (great book he wrote), and Ben Crush for some advice and information. All knowledgeable and know what they are talking about. You can also find tournament information from the Northeast Arm Wrestling board and find practice information, etc.

Thanks, can anyone enter these ?

I have never aw in a tournement or anythinglike that, i have always been good just messimAround but always wanted to try in a real comp.Does anyone no where i could try in Ohio?? I livein Jackson county. Maybe a fair even? And is therea good link to some good aw training info, I have noaw knowledge or how it all works, but i would liketo learn thanks. You may want to ask Eric Rousinn, James Retarides (great book he wrote), and Ben Crush for some advice and information. All knowledgeable and know what they are talking about. You can also find tournament information from the Northeast Arm Wrestling board and find practice information, etc.

Thanks, can anyone enter these ?

Sign up on that board and ask around a bit. Arm wrestling in recent years has received much exposure, so you would likely find some information.

Paul Knight is living in Ohio now and doing some arm wrasslin and MMA last I talked to him. Cannot remember exactly what part of the state he is in though. So there must be stuff going on in state.

- Aaron

• Like 1

How to get started armwrestling 101:

#1- find a group of people to practice and train with. Hopefully there is a crew near you. Find them on the northeastboard as others have said. Post up looking for armwrestlers in Ohio/close to you. Event promoters are often able to help you find people to train with, so look up Karen Bean, Denise Wattles, Mike Bowling (long time puller from OH). Josh Handeland can probably point you in the direction of somebody. Often times you have to contact several people to finally get in touch with a local-ish group. I believe Doug Allen is also in Ohio. You may be able to find guys in WV or KY that are close enough.

#2- Go to an event. You can indeed just walk up and compete. That is how I got started, and there is nothing wrong with that. If you are lucky, you will meet people to train with.

#3- If you can't find anyone, and there isn't an event anytime soon, just start training. Create your own group. Get your buddies to help you, find some other eager new comers, whatever you have to do. Buy/build a table, and get started. I also went this route. I had a lot of success training on my own with just my buddies.

Just get started. That's the number one thing. Don't be scared to do it, it's a simple sport. It doesn't get complicated until you get good. Good luck, call someone today.

Thanks guys, Im gonna see what i find. Pual Knight in ohio? Thats sweet

• Like 1

Hey, I just saw your post. I am not too certain about specific areas and counties in Ohio but here are a few guys in the state that pull and their contact info. Greg Arnold lives in Lebanon and can be reached at garnold@atlanticon.net , Jorel Koenig lives in Milford and can be reached at jorelkoenig@gmail.com, Randy Perry is in Dayton. His email is randyp1987@gmail.com, Jeremy Wiswell is in Toledo, his address is jwiswell@bex.com, Bob Sutton in also in Toledo and his address is Robert.sutton@terumomedical.com, I know Mike Bowling is also in Ohio and he would be a great guy to learn from. I think he is in Montpelier but I don't have any info on him in my contacts. Also, it is important to get some table time (at least a month or two) before hitting your first novice tournament just to learn your way around the table and get settled into the rules. The title of my book is Strong Arm Tactics if you are interested. I wrote it after consulting a few WAF and ArmWars world champs and goes over everything from the basics to advanced technique. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help

@Massey, when you start out, practice on the table and/or with bands once per week until your tendons get acclimated to the pain. That could take longer than six months. What tends to make the tendons ache is the fast movements. Conceivably you could armwrestle every other day if you used slower movements. Engin Terzi, the greatest lightweight in history, has his team members practice three times per week. I have done that before and I have also experimented with once and twice per week. I made the most gains when I devoted a lot of time to getting stronger in the gym, developing my hand and wrist and armwrestling once per week. In my book, I discuss a lot of different methods and approaches as armwrestling is a lot like training for a sprint and a marathon. You want to win quickly but have to be prepared for the long match and a long day of matches (especially at a tournament with a large weight class and a lot of little breaks).

The link to my book is www.strongarmtactics.com

• Like 1

Hey, I just saw your post. I am not too certain about specific areas and counties in Ohio but here are a few guys in the state that pull and their contact info. Greg Arnold lives in Lebanon and can be reached at garnold@atlanticon.net , Jorel Koenig lives in Milford and can be reached at jorelkoenig@gmail.com, Randy Perry is in Dayton. His email is randyp1987@gmail.com, Jeremy Wiswell is in Toledo, his address is jwiswell@bex.com, Bob Sutton in also in Toledo and his address is Robert.sutton@terumomedical.com, I know Mike Bowling is also in Ohio and he would be a great guy to learn from. I think he is in Montpelier but I don't have any info on him in my contacts. Also, it is important to get some table time (at least a month or two) before hitting your first novice tournament just to learn your way around the table and get settled into the rules. The title of my book is Strong Arm Tactics if you are interested. I wrote it after consulting a few WAF and ArmWars world champs and goes over everything from the basics to advanced technique. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help

Thanks for the info!