Questions On Grip Strength

xagunos

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and find it pretty awesome from what I've seen so far. Anyways, I have a couple questions on grip training.

1. There are many types of grips (crush, pinch, support, wrist leverage, finger etc.) and from what I heard there is little carryover between these types. General thoughts on training the grip as fully as one can and what are the money exercises?

2. Low reps or high reps for grip STRENGTH (not endurance)? I am guessing low but from some people I hear that grip training must be done with high reps. Thoughts?

3. Lastly, Vulcan gripper or Robert Baraban adjustable? If there is a better adjustable gripper than those two, please let me know.

Thanks!

1. I'd go with thickbar and pinch if I wanted allover generally strong hands. Closing grippers is more fun than a useful sort of strength.

2. Low reps, as always with strength. High reps/hypertrophy might be a good thing from time to time as large fibers generate more force etc etc.

3. Not very useful, as stated in question #1.

My number one priority have always been grippers though, simply because they are addictive and lots of fun. :)

Edit: there are guys here that know way more than me about this. Especially thickbar and pinch and such.

Edited by Norden

i actually find that grippers significantly helps with weightlifting/bodybuilding... feel much more confident and in control of the lift when you crush the bar with your hand wtv you do be it bench press, any type of rowing, deadlift, etc.

1. If you want to train your grip as fully as you can you should do everything ( crush, extensors, pinch, thick bar, wrist ). If you want to keep it minimalistic i would say go with thick bar training. you could use Fat Gripz for all your upper body exercises.

2. Low reps ( 1 - 5 ) are best for strength.

3. I have a Baraban and i like it a lot. Actually i have 4 different versions. The handles of the Vulcan have no nurling and spread of the handles is wider. This makes it harder to set. It Comes with only one spring compared to the Baraban that comes with a lighter and a heavier spring. This makes it easier to progress with the Baraban.

1. If you want to train your grip as fully as you can you should do everything ( crush, extensors, pinch, thick bar, wrist ). If you want to keep it minimalistic i would say go with thick bar training. you could use Fat Gripz for all your upper body exercises.

3. I have a Baraban and i like it a lot. Actually i have 4 different versions. The handles of the Vulcan have no nurling and spread of the handles is wider. This makes it harder to set. It Comes with only one spring compared to the Baraban that comes with a lighter and a heavier spring. This makes it easier to progress with the Baraban.

The Baraban is also a blatant knock-off! :chris: You can micro load the Vulcan with rubber bands. The wider spread can be modded, with a little metal working know-how and the non knurled handles are useful when implementing higher volume work.

I would never buy the Baraban knock-off purely on principle though, as I think Boycotting rob-dog snide snakes is the only ethical way to go! :)

I would suggest search the forum, see how other ppl train and see what works for you, the workout logs have tons of training info, there isnt any magic numbers with grip(my opinion:) ), you will change tempo and intensity to suit your needs as you go along. Grippers help if you use any tools btw, pliers are basically a gripper.

• Like 1

The Baraban is also a blatant knock-off! :chris: You can micro load the Vulcan with rubber bands. The wider spread can be modded, with a little metal working know-how and the non knurled handles are useful when implementing higher volume work.

I would never buy the Baraban knock-off purely on principle though, as I think Boycotting rob-dog snide snakes is the only ethical way to go! :)

Word!!!

Word!!!

Is there a story that i don't know. Why do you call him a rob-dog snide snake?

He has consistently taken others designs and produced almost identical copies of other people's inventions, he isnt very well spoken of from what ive seen. Look at the vulcan and thumbscrews, almost identical designs.

Just do grippers,ttk and and hammers lever.

Ultra high reps are the best on grippers to get your hands conditioned,lower reps on ttk.

Go with dh vulcan for variety.