Wrist Developer Training

Brett H

Recently picked up a WD2 and was wondering if anyone has some good insight in training with this device? I find it enjoyable to use but I also notice most Red Nail bends are not done using reverse bending style. Does this mean that the WD is not useful if one is going after the Red Nail?

Recently picked up a WD2 and was wondering if anyone has some good insight in training with this device? I find it enjoyable to use but I also notice most Red Nail bends are not done using reverse bending style. Does this mean that the WD is not useful if one is going after the Red Nail?

Nope. It just means that it's easier to bend the Red Nail DO as opposed to DU or RS.

• Like 1

The WD is great for building strength but nothing can replace bending steel to prepare for bending bigger steel. I progressed the quickest to reversing reds by bending. The hits feel a lot different.

The WD is great for building strength but nothing can replace bending steel to prepare for bending bigger steel. I progressed the quickest to reversing reds by bending. The hits feel a lot different.

That is what I was afraid of; it seems to be advertised as a device which would save one a lot of money by not having to purchase all of the steel for bending.

It's still a good device to get stronger with the movement and building up the tendons. Think of it as accessory work. All of the lunges and leg curls in the world won't make you squat more if you never squat but it does help.

It's still a good device to get stronger with the movement and building up the tendons. Think of it as accessory work. All of the lunges and leg curls in the world won't make you squat more if you never squat but it does help.

OK, I appreciate the help! I guess I am a bit disappointed as I had hoped this would provide more of the foundational work as opposed to accessory work. I guess if it can help prepare the tendons and possibly help avoid injury then it will be worth it.

The WD is a great tool. If you train with it correctly, I think you can use the WD to condition the lower arms for reverse steel bending. You just need to use it right.

I put together a resource on the WD a couple of years back, if you are interested: http://www.thegripauthority.com/wd/wrist-developer.htm