Custom Equipment

Brett H

Could anyone direct me to those who produce custom grip equipment? Specifically, I am looking for a hub in a larger diameter than the approx. 3" hub made by IM and Mr. Tetting.

I'm sure that many on the board here have the skill.

To be specific, what diameter and specs are you looking for?

I would like to have a hub in the same mold as the IM hub for example (i.e. attaches to loading pin) only with a 5" diameter gripping surface as well as a depth of somewhere around 2.25 or 2.5"

Edited by Brett H

Could anyone direct me to those who produce custom grip equipment? Specifically, I am looking for a hub in a larger diameter than the approx. 3" hub made by IM and Mr. Tetting.

You could contact Warren Tetting directly or check with Richard Sorin/Sorinex to see if he would customize one to your specifications.

Ryan Pitts at strongergrip.com also does custom work.

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 3

Most cities will have a steel retailer or fab shop who does small jobs like this in house. Simply take in your specs and a picture and ask for a quote. Sorinex and others can of course do the same but developing a relationship with a local shop can pay big dividends in the future for all the weird little things you might think up over time.

• Like 3

I've also had stuff fabricated by welding hobby types on Craigslist. They don't typically charge much. They're just looking to make a little extra on the side from their welding know-how.

• Like 1

How much do you think something like this would cost? What is iron mind charging for a hub these days?

I would like to have a hub in the same mold as the IM hub for example (i.e. attaches to loading pin) only with a 5" diameter gripping surface as well as a depth of somewhere around 2.25 or 2.5"

If you are looking for a wide pinch implement at 5" that you can't put your fingers further than 2.25"-2.5" down around...

then this is the exact implement you are looking for.

DSCF2324_zps8dd6409f.jpg

You can't beat the price ($20 used on Craigslist)...and you can microload with magweights, chains...or even duct tape.

• Like 1

Ok I just checked the iron mind hub is $24.95 and shipping is $14 by usps

If you are looking for a wide pinch implement at 5" that you can't put your fingers further than 2.25"-2.5" down around...

DSCF2324_zps8dd6409f.jpg

You can't beat the price ($20 used on Craigslist)...and you can microload with magweights, chains...or even duct tape.

Yes Sir, this is essentially where I got the inspiration, picking up the hex weights or blobs by the face. However, I thought it would be nice to have one loadable implement for progression.

• Like 1

How much do you think something like this would cost? What is iron mind charging for a hub these days?

Not sure but it might be a little costly since someone would only be making one as opposed to a company like IM that produces and sells many.

Id like t throw in another idea, since u like the inverted dumbell, y not have it made grip topz style?

• Like 1

Id like t throw in another idea, since u like the inverted dumbell, y not have it made grip topz style?

I am not sure what that is. Can you explain?

A simple cheap way to go, is some PVC caps. They have lots of sizes.

This is a really really good idea. You could easily drill a hole to put a eyebolt/washer/nut on for general loading.

There is also something out there caled a Lap Joint Stub End...when used in conjuction with a lap joint flange...makes a reasonable facsimile of an hub.

But if you wanted in steel...it might be cost prohibitive.

Here's a pic of a plastic one.

Plastic_Lap_Joint_Flange_flange_zpsf5878

Excellent idea! Don't know why I didn't think of it especially since my wrist roller is made from 2" PVC. Any suggestions on the best way to attach some kind of hook so it can be used with my loading pin?

Excellent idea! Don't know why I didn't think of it especially since my wrist roller is made from 2" PVC. Any suggestions on the best way to attach some kind of hook so it can be used with my loading pin?

Yup...just scroll up. Most homemade loading pins use eyebolts,washers and nuts.

This is a really really good idea. You could easily drill a hole to put a eyebolt/washer/nut on for general loading.

There is also something out there caled a Lap Joint Stub End...when used in conjuction with a lap joint flange...makes a reasonable facsimile of an hub.

But if you wanted in steel...it might be cost prohibitive.

Here's a pic of a plastic one.

Plastic_Lap_Joint_Flange_flange_zpsf5878

Excellent! really like the PVC idea. Is this flange and stub end something readily available at a Lowes type store or would this have to be mail ordered?

I am not sure what that is. Can you explain?

well it would sit atop a loading pin so there is really no tilt. as opposed to hooking on one like the iron mind hub.

Excellent! really like the PVC idea. Is this flange and stub end something readily available at a Lowes type store or would this have to be mail ordered?

I've no clue about the stub end/flange, but you likely can find the PVC caps at lowes. Google David Horne's World of Grip to learn about Griptopz.

Yup...just scroll up. Most homemade loading pins use eyebolts,washers and nuts.

Thanks, I was looking at that flange and didn't even see your comment on the caps.

• 3 months later...

Well, sometimes it seems to be a case of "ask and you shall receive." I just happened to meet a gentleman recently by complete coincidence who does some custom work. I asked him about building the particular implement I mentioned here and this is the result:

As shown in the pics, the "loading hook" is 1/2" diameter steel. The actual gripping portion is built with 1/4" thick steel while the "plate" uses 3/16" thickness. The hub itself is 4 1/2" diameter. It also came with a extremely large carabiner which is too large to attach to my 1" loading pin. It weighs 3 lbs. 6 oz.. In comparison the traditional IM hub I have weighs 15 oz. Also the welding is done around the entire diameter which may not be necessary but impressive nonetheless. Not to diminish the traditional pinch hubs in any way, but this thing is built like a tank! It is unfinished however, and I am still trying to decide if I want to paint it or simply clear-coat it. I would prefer the powder coating, however I am pretty sure that would be more costly.

As for the training, I really like the feel of this larger sized hub, and no my hands are not large; 7 1/4". It just feels like it is working the entire hand as opposed to the traditional hub which just does not give me that same feel. As a matter of fact, when gripping the regular hub, my ring and pinky fingers feel as though they are very minimally involved in the lift. I also feel more thumb pad work in this hub compared to the traditional and that is a good thing for me. If anyone would like any more pics or info on this please let me know.

post-6005-0-46295300-1405743785_thumb.jp

post-6005-0-29344300-1405743921_thumb.jp

post-6005-0-34760300-1405743987_thumb.jp

post-6005-0-17032600-1405744067_thumb.jp

Edited by Brett H

DSCF2324_zps8dd6409f.jpg

Yes Sir, this is essentially where I got the inspiration, picking up the hex weights or blobs by the face. However, I thought it would be nice to have one loadable implement for progression.
How about taking a hacksaw to the handle and leaving 2" of handle, drill a hole thru the handle stump, attach a carabeener and use it on your loadingpin? Edited by PeterSweden