Anthony C.

Yesterday back and legs

Sumo deadlifts

2x315, 6x295

Db rows 9x100, 6x105

Single leg stack leg press 9x185, 5x205

Pull ups 14xbw+25, 9xbw+25, 12

Lying leg curl 8x110, 6x110

Oh man, my off the ground strength with deadlifts sucks! Gonna try working on that for a bit.

Hee man, some tips on deadlifting. Maybe you already know all of these and I'm just discovering how to deadlift again myself, but here goes.

1 I've noticed in your log you've got pretty strong legs. Probably strong enough to pull 440. So you might be lacking in back strenght. You could try romanian deadlifts and heavy barbell rows. Those are usally good voor deadlifting.

2 if you are focussing on pulling the weight of the floor you might wanna do the opposite. Focus on pushing youre feet through the floor.

3 are you making the mistake almost everyone at my gym who is deadlifting makes ( including me)? Which is bringing your hips up and straightening your legs to quickly. Putting most of the load on your back in the process.

4 Strong core. Very important. Buy an ab wheel if you don't already have one.

5 if you're doing multiple reps do you bring the weight down to a dead stop or do you bounce back up? If you wanna get stronger of the floor you want to do your reps like multiple singles in a row bringing the weight to a dead stop every rep.

That's all folks!

• Like 1

Today, grip

Warm ups:

20x sport, 20xTrainer, 10xcoc1, 4x1.5, 1x2 (right hand)

Right: Miss xGHP 6 (138), 2.7x2.5 (125), 4X bbm (118)

Left: 1x2.5 (125), 2.8x Hard coc2, 4x coc2

Tetting Grip Machine, set to 20 mm

Right: 15x86, 4x111, 15x86

Left: 14x86, 1x111, 15x86

TTK

Right: 7x10, 21x8.75, 18x8.75, 10x8.75

Left: 3x10, 15x8.75, 10x8.75, 16x7.5

Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, 2 sets each

Really good workout! Just missed my ghp 6...it was very close. I'd like to give it a try in another 2 weeks. Also, first 2.5 close with the left hand! Not bad at all. Still lots of work to be done.

Getting closer to the Level 6, keep it up and kill it!

Yesterday back and legs

Sumo deadlifts

2x315, 6x295

Db rows 9x100, 6x105

Oh man, my off the ground strength with deadlifts sucks! Gonna try working on that for a bit.

Hee man, some tips on deadlifting. Maybe you already know all of these and I'm just discovering how to deadlift again myself, but here goes.

1 I've noticed in your log you've got pretty strong legs. Probably strong enough to pull 440. So you might be lacking in back strenght. You could try romanian deadlifts and heavy barbell rows. Those are usally good voor deadlifting.

2 if you are focussing on pulling the weight of the floor you might wanna do the opposite. Focus on pushing youre feet through the floor.

3 are you making the mistake almost everyone at my gym who is deadlifting makes ( including me)? Which is bringing your hips up and straightening your legs to quickly. Putting most of the load on your back in the process.

5 if you're doing multiple reps do you bring the weight down to a dead stop or do you bounce back up? If you wanna get stronger of the floor you want to do your reps like multiple singles in a row bringing the weight to a dead stop every rep.

That's all folks!

Thank you so much for the tips, roy. I really appreciate this well thought out post. Since i have started lifting, my deadlift was always weaker than my squat. At a young age, i hurt my back deadlifting and the pain still sometimes bothers me if i push too hard, and i do hold back. That being said, i have to limit my squattingto keep itfrom getting too far away from my deadlift. I attribute it to likeyou said, a weak back and also hamstrings. Romanian deadlifts are a great idea. Should i rest the bar on the floor after each rep for that exercise, too?

Starting point is my main issue and i was trying to "push the floor" but let me tell you, i attempted 335 and it didnt want to budge at all. But when i was repping 295,it felt like child's weight. I was doing them in a touch and go fashion, so that probably doesn't help.

I'm going to use these tips and try to getmy deadlift up to the 400 range.

Btw, i do have an ab wheel and use it all the time. Thanks for the tips roy!

Today, grip

Warm ups:

20x sport, 20xTrainer, 10xcoc1, 4x1.5, 1x2 (right hand)

Right: Miss xGHP 6 (138), 2.7x2.5 (125), 4X bbm (118)

Left: 1x2.5 (125), 2.8x Hard coc2, 4x coc2

Tetting Grip Machine, set to 20 mm

Right: 15x86, 4x111, 15x86

Left: 14x86, 1x111, 15x86

TTK

Right: 7x10, 21x8.75, 18x8.75, 10x8.75

Left: 3x10, 15x8.75, 10x8.75, 16x7.5

Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, 2 sets each

Really good workout! Just missed my ghp 6...it was very close. I'd like to give it a try in another 2 weeks. Also, first 2.5 close with the left hand! Not bad at all. Still lots of work to be done.

Getting closer to the Level 6, keep it up and kill it!

Hell yeah, man! Anthony clarino has arrived and is here to stay! After that 138 ghp, i have my 141 hg300 and then there will be no other choice but for the 144 coc3 to collapse #muhahaha

• Like 1

Yesterday back and legs

Sumo deadlifts

2x315, 6x295

Db rows 9x100, 6x105

That's all folks!

Thank you so much for the tips, roy. I really appreciate this well thought out post. Since i have started lifting, my deadlift was always weaker than my squat. At a young age, i hurt my back deadlifting and the pain still sometimes bothers me if i push too hard, and i do hold back. That being said, i have to limit my squattingto keep itfrom getting too far away from my deadlift. I attribute it to likeyou said, a weak back and also hamstrings. Romanian deadlifts are a great idea. Should i rest the bar on the floor after each rep for that exercise, too?

Starting point is my main issue and i was trying to "push the floor" but let me tell you, i attempted 335 and it didnt want to budge at all. But when i was repping 295,it felt like child's weight. I was doing them in a touch and go fashion, so that probably doesn't help.

I'm going to use these tips and try to getmy deadlift up to the 400 range.

Btw, i do have an ab wheel and use it all the time. Thanks for the tips roy!

Wouldn't recommend doing the romanian deadlifts all the way to the floor unless you are really flexible. Just pick the weight of a stand and lower as far as you can comfortably go with a straight back and slightly bent knees. Keep the weight close to your body and here also try and focus on pushing the weight up with your legs and hips even though your legs aren't actually moving.

Yeah touch and go really doesn't help if you wanna get stronger of the floor. I like to take a couple of second to adjust my set up between each rep to make sure my technique is solid. Best of luck building your deadlift!

• Like 1

Chest Shoulders Triceps today

DB Flat Bench 6x100, 10x90

DB incline bench 7x80, 5x80

DB Overhead Press with 2 second pause in hole 6x60 (done for time under tension and to eliminate stretch reflex)

Facedown on incline bench db laterals superset with standing db laterals 2 sets with 20/25 pounds, don't remember reps

Dips 15, 12

Cable Pushdown 15x80, 5x90

Rotator cuffs, abs

Yesterday Back, biceps

One arm dumbell rows 7x105, 6x105, 11x90

Pull ups: 9xbw+25 (dip belt in the gym was broken, had to use db between feet...would've gotten much better with the dip belt :( )

Pull ups drop set: 10 conventional + 5 hammer style + 3 chin up style

Hammer Grip Chin ups: 5xbw+25 again with ridiculous db between feet

Cable row 15x140, 6x170

Curls 4x40, 4x40

Preacher curl 6x30

Was running late and kind of had to phone this one in. That drop set of pull ups killed my bicep strength for curls. But the db rows were very intense and I feel like i did something.

Grip today

Warm ups: 16xsport, 12xtrainer, 5xcoc1, 1x1.5

Right Hand: 1x2.5 125, 1xbbsm 128, 1x bbsm 128, Miss x HG300 141 Miss x HG300 141, 6xdouble filed HG250

Left: 1x2.5 125, Miss BBM 118, 1xBBM 118, 1xcoc2, 4xcoc 2, 3x Double filed HG250

Front and Rear Levers with 10 lbs on a 12 inch loading pin, 2 sets hold for time

Pronation and Supination 5lbs on the end of an adjustable db handle, just repped out for 2 sets

My set really needs work. The HG's are narrow and therefore easy to set and I basically had my 141 HG300 closed, had I not tried it so late in the workout. It was much easier to set than the coc's or tettings. I guess it'll be slow and steady as far as setting strength goes, but I know the crush strength is there when I'm ready for it.

Grip today

Warm ups: 16xsport, 12xtrainer, 5xcoc1, 1x1.5

Right Hand: 1x2.5 125, 1xbbsm 128, 1x bbsm 128, Miss x HG300 141 Miss x HG300 141, 6xdouble filed HG250

Left: 1x2.5 125, Miss BBM 118, 1xBBM 118, 1xcoc2, 4xcoc 2, 3x Double filed HG250

Front and Rear Levers with 10 lbs on a 12 inch loading pin, 2 sets hold for time

Pronation and Supination 5lbs on the end of an adjustable db handle, just repped out for 2 sets

My set really needs work. The HG's are narrow and therefore easy to set and I basically had my 141 HG300 closed, had I not tried it so late in the workout. It was much easier to set than the coc's or tettings. I guess it'll be slow and steady as far as setting strength goes, but I know the crush strength is there when I'm ready for it.

Im just the opposite of you in grippers.

I can set my 214 lbs coc4 and hold it shut with my settinghand still on the gripper but I cant close my 161 lbs BB Elite MMS yet. :O

I both love and hate grippers :)

Edited by NewGrippster

Damn man that's crazy setting strength! What kind of numbers are you putting up on bench?

Im a deadlfter not a bencher :P

Im at around 130kg 1rm in bench.

Done 90kg militarypress recently, strict. Aiming for 100kg right now.

I think I had great progress in bending.

Started bending for a month or two and then quit, then I took it up again 2 years later and trained for a couple of months, three maybe, and then could bend the rednail in IMPs.

Ppl have done worse :) the crush is my strongest part.

Im no Tommy Jennings but lots of ppl seem to struggle more than I did in bendng.

Grippers is my achilles heal in grip I'd say. Trained on and off for 3 years now. I've done 157 lbs MM1 and almost 161 lbs BB Elite. That sucks after 3 years of training, for me atleast.

Edited by NewGrippster

Im a deadlfter not a bencher :P

Im at around 130kg 1rm in bench.

Done 90kg militarypress recently, strict. Aiming for 100kg right now.

I think I had great progress in bending.

Started bending for a month or two and then quit, then I took it up again 2 years later and trained for a couple of months, three maybe, and then could bend the rednail in IMPs.

Ppl have done worse :) the crush is my strongest part.

Im no Tommy Jennings but lots of ppl seem to struggle more than I did in bendng.

Grippers is my achilles heal in grip I'd say. Trained on and off for 3 years now. I've done 157 lbs MM1 and almost 161 lbs BB Elite. That sucks after 3 years of training, for me atleast.

Ah, so maybe it's your experience in bending that you get your set strength from? Holding a 4 closed in a set is a pretty awesome feat in itself, man. And your crush is by no means weak. You have focused more on pinch and thick bar over the years and that's probably why your grippers have suffered a little. Probably after a year of crush emphasis you'll be a beast at it.

Sadly. Thats not the case. I've mostly been doing grippers :( I've tried almost everything and progress is still slow.

I've only toyed around with RT and pinch a couple of times per year. A few weeks at most.

I think I will hit 100kg in RT and euro pinch rather easily but I often wonder if I will ever close my coc3,5..... :dry

I really want to be up there with Chez and Paul Knight!

I will never stop trying but who knows, maybe Im not cut out to be a gripper closer!

Sadly. Thats not the case. I've mostly been doing grippers :( I've tried almost everything and progress is still slow.

I've only toyed around with RT and pinch a couple of times per year. A few weeks at most.

I think I will hit 100kg in RT and euro pinch rather easily but I often wonder if I will ever close my coc3,5..... :dry

I really want to be up there with Chez and Paul Knight!

I will never stop trying but who knows, maybe Im not cut out to be a gripper closer!

Well, and remember i'm a rookie so i don't really know...from what i understand, at your level, progress is very slow. The 3.5 is a flat out monster. I doubt I have the genetics to close it. And i know people say "if you plan to fail, you'll fail." Well that doesnt mean i should run around thinking one day I'll bench a thousand pounds lol.

But in your case, i think you have more than enough potential to close a 3.5. The strength is there, just look at your setting power, guys like chez and paul knight are legends in grip and one thing i notice about them is they have trained specifically for their needs. Most guys think they should use grippers 2-3 times a week. Chez goes once every ten days. My point is, if your gains are stalling, maybe it's time to start everything over and make a new plan. Try training everyday....or train once every two weeks. If you're a negatives guy, then try using higher reps and see what happens. Experiment. Half the fun is in the journey there brother!

• Like 1

Today legs

Romanian deadlifts 8x205 6x235 5x255

Squats 20x225 easy money

Smith machine lunges 10x45, 8x70 per side

Single leg curl 12x60 7x70/5x70

Abs

• Like 1

True! Im trying Chezs program atm, while doing pinch :) Every 8-10 days. I use alttle less volume tho :)

• Like 1

True! Im trying Chezs program atm, while doing pinch :) Every 8-10 days. I use alttle less volume tho :)

Perfect! I like using less frequency workouts also. Gives the nervous system time to rest and think about other life stuff besides lifting :)

• Like 1

Today Chest shoulders triceps

Seated Dumbbell overhead press 11x80

DB flat bench press 9x90, 6x85

Incline db bench press 8x75

Facedown on incline bench lateral raises superset with standing db lateral raises: 2 sets with 20 lbs

DB Shrugs 15x90, 10x100

Decline Bench Press 9x175

Close Grip decline bench press 7x155

Cable Pushdown 11x90 14x80

Rotator cuffs, abs

Did some sledge lifting at work today. I don't know how heavy the hammer is, but it's on the bigger side. Nevertheless, wrists feel good after that. I can see how these levers can be addicting. There's something about holding a heavy sledge that makes you feel like a lumberjack.

Today back biceps thick bar

Dumbbell rows 10/9 x 105, 5x110 3x80 (fat grips)

Pull ups 24

Hammer grip chins with fat grips 11

Chin ups 9

T bar row with barbell stuffed in corner 10x125 10x125 weight of bar not included, plates are 25lb

Cable row 10x150 6x170 7x140 (fat grips)

Standing dumbbell curl 5x40 4x40

2 sets wrist curls and reverse wrist curls with light dumbbell

Today grip

Warm ups: 16xsport, 8xtrainer, 4x1, 1x1.5

Right hand: miss hg300 141.8, miss ghp 6 138, 5xbbm 118, 8xcoc2 20mm block

Left: 1xbbm 118, 1x2.5 125, 4xcoc2, 13x bb sa 20 mm block

Grip machine

Right hand: 5x111, 13x96

Left 2x111, 13x96

Ttk

Right 10x10, 10x10 8x10, countless reps with 7.5

Left 5x10, 5x10, 6x10, countless reps with 7.5

Front and rear sledge levers 2 sets

Wrist curls reverse wrist curls 2 swts

So close on the hg300! Soon.

post-23333-0-76837900-1393721441_thumb.j

Edited by Anthony C.
  • Like 1

Lookin like steady progress! Keep it up bro

Lookin like steady progress! Keep it up bro

Thanks bro, will do!

Today legs

Romanian deadlifts

10x205, 8x235, 6x255

Squats

10x275

Split squats in smith machine

10x70

Hip adduction

26x290

Single leg curl

8x70, 6x70

Abs

Great workout. Back and abs have been feeling very powerful. I'll be taking next week off to recover and rest a little. When i come back, i'll do a 6 week fat loss/recomposition phase because i am still a bodybuilder. Since september i have bulked up from 157 to 175 pounds, at a height of 5'7". Not too shabby!

• 2 weeks later...

Back to it, grip yesterday

Right hand: 1xhg300 141, 4xhybrid super master 120, 4xhybrid Sm, 1xhsm, 3xhsm

Left: 1x2.5 125, 1xbbm 118, 1xghp5, 1xghp5, 2.8xcoc 2

Grip machine:

Right 7x112.5, 3x113.5, hold with 98.5 for time

Left fail x111, 10x98.5

Plate curls

Right 6x2tens, 6x2 tens

Left 7x2 tens, 5x2 tens

2 sets sledgehammer levers front and back with 5lb sledge

1 set each reverse wrist curl and wrist curl, high reps

Extensors 3 sets EYHB

yeah! Closed my hg300. It wasn't an overcrush...the handles touched and open right away. But a close nonetheless. Crush strength is really soaring right now in both hands. I have a 138 ghp 6 and a 138 grand master i want to try. They are lighter than my hg 300 which is almost 142, but the spread is wider so you know how that is.