Newbie Beginning Program

wojo

I only started dedicated grip workouts three weeks ago and I only have about 9 total grip workouts under my belt, but I feel like I've already made significant progress in terms of creating a dedicated space in my garage for my grip work and building/accumulating enough grip tools to allow enough variety in my workouts while I continue to collect more stuff.

Most of my workouts to date have been about trying different exercises for the first time and getting an idea what my starting strength levels are, so I haven't been following any type of real program or doing much volume per se. I've looked at the workouts that I've done and along with all of my research, I think I've come up with a well-rounded basic program for myself to follow and to build from going forward.

General Principles

• Choose 5 exercises per workout, one from each of the 5 categories below
  • Don't perform the same exercise more than two workouts in a row to guard against accomodation
  • Always work the grip category exercises in a different sequence in your workout to guard against accomodation
  • Generally perform 3-5 sets per exercise, reps will vary
  • Try to improve in either weight, reps or time from one workout to the next for each particular exercise
  • Perform 3 dedicated grip workouts per week, but a minimum of two if a rest day is otherwise needed

Categories

• Crushing Grip (grippers, grip machine)
  • Static or Dynamic Pinching (SH or DH plate pinches, pinch blocks, pony clamps, TTK)
  • Open Hand (rolling thunder, thich bars, block weights)
  • Forearm (leveraging, wrist roller, wrist curls)
  • Extensors (rubber bands, sand bucket)

I probably won't be posting many updates here...I'll be doing that on my blog (listed in my sig). However, I really welcome any suggestions or comments you have on what I've outlined...thanks!

Looks good but you forgot how often, as in how many times a week. one or two times seems the norm or three if you recover well.

Looks good but you forgot how often, as in how many times a week. one or two times seems the norm or three if you recover well.

It's in there under the general principles....I'm shooting for 3x per week...but no less than 2x per week. Of course if I feel I need the extra rest, I'll take it in lieu of over-training.

The tendonitis in my right elbow subsided enough that I was able to work both hands today and ended having a really good workout. I closed my "choked to parallel COC #2.5" once this past Saturday with my left hand (first time I ever tried choked work), but failed to close it all the way on my second attempt. Today, I worked up to three singles with the choked #2.5 in each hand, fully closed each attempt and held each attempt closed for 5 seconds before slowly releasing. That's definite progress, so I'm pretty psyched!

Today is also the first time following my new program outlined above and for the first time it felt like I was actually doing a real workout instead of just going into the garage to test my strength on a few movements. It felt like I was doing the right number of exercises with a sufficient volume.

Off to ice my elbow again...

• Like 1

The tendonitis in my right elbow subsided enough that I was able to work both hands today and ended having a really good workout. I closed my "choked to parallel COC #2.5" once this past Saturday with my left hand (first time I ever tried choked work), but failed to close it all the way on my second attempt. Today, I worked up to three singles with the choked #2.5 in each hand, fully closed each attempt and held each attempt closed for 5 seconds before slowly releasing. That's definite progress, so I'm pretty psyched!

Today is also the first time following my new program outlined above and for the first time it felt like I was actually doing a real workout instead of just going into the garage to test my strength on a few movements. It felt like I was doing the right number of exercises with a sufficient volume.

Off to ice my elbow again...

Good luck on your goals, like reading your log...don't forget those extensors when elbow pain hangs around

• 2 weeks later...

Great training video. love the music and video editing. keep up the hard work.

Thanks Big T....I always finish my workouts with extensor work in a sand bucket or with the IM Expand your Hand Bands.

Thanks Chez....best of luck on your CCS #3 goal!

Based on your video, you would have a ball with all the grip toys in my garage.

Based on your video, you would have a ball with all the grip toys in my garage.

I'd love to take you up on that one day....I've gotten pretty addicted in a short period of time! I just picked up a 90lb hex dumbbell today, so I'll be cutting the handles off tomorrow and trying to lift a 45lb hex block for the first time tomorrow night.

I picked up a 90lb dumbbell yesterday through Craigslist, so I took it to work today to get the handle cut off. I'm happy to have lifted them, let alone clean them! To be honest, I think they were easier to lift than the 42.5lb York Hex I bought from someone on the Gripboard. When I lifted the 42.5 the other day, it never occurred to me to try and clean it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsjRGRdxaXg

Edited by wojo

I picked up a 90lb dumbbell yesterday through Craigslist, so I took it to work today to get the handle cut off. I'm happy to have lifted them, let alone clean them! To be honest, I think they were easier to lift than the 42.5lb York Hex I bought from someone on the Gripboard. When I lifted the 42.5 the other day, it never occurred to me to try and clean it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsjRGRdxaXg

congrats on the 45 clean

I made a bunch of attempts with my 50lb hex block weight and lifted it again today with my left hand and although I got some air with my right, I still couldn't stand up any distance with it. I'm just confused, because my right hand is my dominant hand...?

Anyway, after all the block weight attempts I moved on to grippers and I was literally just a hair away from closing my CoC #2.5 with each hand....and with a relatively wide set at that....I may have actually closed it with my right for a moment....I'm so psyched...I'm sure I could've closed it today if I didn't do all the block weight work first. I've already choked my #3 to parallel, so I'll start working on that next workout.

There's still three months left in 2011, and for the first time I feel like closing the #3 is not some sort of pipe dream, but a goal that is achievable with hard work and patience.

You can definitely close the #3 before the year is over man. Great work on the 2.5. Keep working hard and the #3 will come.

Thanks for encouragement Chez! Do you remember about how long it took for you to go from first closing the 2.5 to first closing the 3?

I'm not sure how long the first time I did it 3 years ago but I reviewed my workout log and it took me 5 weeks from when I started training this time. 3 weeks in the training log plus I trained for 2 weeks before I started posting on the board. I'm on a regular training routine so it was definitely a lot faster this time. Even though it can get expensive, I think having grippers of varying strengths really helps. My RB240, BBGM, GNC 250 and Vulcan V2 all helped me close the gap and kept me motivated.

Cool, I actually ordered a Vulcan V2 today and I'm probably going to order an RB240 sometime soon as something to shoot for on the way to the #3.

I received my very first York Blob in the mail today! It didn't come in time for my workout today, but it's taken its rightful place in my garage and I look forward to taking on this challenge!

It was sold to me as an original York Blob with original paint. The paint is black and looks original, not spray painted. It weighs in at 51.4 pounds and the sides look virtually identical as far as slope is concerned, but I guess one side must be "flatter" because it must be a 2nd generation Blob.

I have lots of work to do.....

• 3 weeks later...

I tried my homemade pipe axle for the first time yesterday and got 319 solidly double overhand and just barely missed full lockout with 339...I'm pretty happy with that considering it was my first time. I also got 15 parallel with my CoC #2, which surprised me since I don't usually try repping out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXshlIiAXlk

Edited by wojo

Nice! That 339 was so close. I'm going to up the lbs next workout and try 300. Slowly working my way up to protect my back.

I was hoping to get the CoC#2.5 for reps today, but I just wasn't feeling strong with the grippers so I moved on to the gripper machine for some volume. I was p*ssed about my gripper strength so I loaded up the axle and worked up to 349x1 and got it! Next time I'm doing this movement first and trying for another PR.

I'm still not able to lift my 50lb hex block with my right hand...not even with my left hand today....so I did some volume with my 45lb block and felt pretty good.

I moved on to 4x15 in the sand bucket for my extensors and called it a day.

• 2 weeks later...

My TSG workout tonight was awesome! I received a couple new toys in the mail today....a brand new CoC#3 (because my other one is currently choked to parallel).....and a brand new Beef Builder Super Master with 5/8" handles.

My previous best before tonight was that I had closed my CoC#2.5 on several occassions with my right hand only from an MM set.

Tonight I worked up to a ridiculously easy close with my CoC#2.5 with my right and also closed it lefty for the first time very solidly. I went on to close the BBSM5/8" with my left hand on both attempts and although it felt easy with my right...I couldn't get the handles to touch....I think I was just out of position because it felt really easy otherwise.

I also closed my brand new CoC#3 down to within 3/16" with my right hand.....sooo awesome :) I started training grip about 3 months ago and I was closer to closing my #3 today than I was to closing my #2.5 back then.

I then finished up with a set of three solid reps with my #2.5 right handed with a 20mm block set.....again very awesome :)

I'm fired up and gunning for that MM0 cert by year's end!

Great Work! Keep plugging away and the MM0 will be yours in no time.