Road To The Red.

Mike Sharkey

Starting a log to document this push to the Red. Not sure how far out I am in terms of time, at least a month or two. I'll be documenting my work here. Bend videos and other work. Moving away from GS and toward more traditional strength & grip training

Focusing on three aspects right now. Bending obviously, I just ordered 50 bars worth of 19/64" O1 Drill Rod. I think with this volume I will get my technique dialed in where I can then do N bars with ease and regularity.

Secondly, getting stronger. The main strength issue is the kink. Shoulders and upper chest work. I've begun incorporating overhead barbell pressing. Mostly with Fat Gripz. Also squats. I lack a squat rack, so its Zerchers all the way. it also means I have to clean anything I want to put overhead. That's fine.

Thirdly, contra specifics. Movements to counter balance the pressure and torque bending puts on the body. Pull ups, Push Us, Rows, Swings, I'm getting more creative in my testing. Hopefully I can get this done. Thanks for tuning in. All bending is in IMP's unless otherwise noted. (all bending will be in IMP's).

I've been keeping a log at steelbenders.org, but it comes to my attention that there are a few guys in a similar point in their quest as me, so DR thought this would be a good idea too.

Here are some recent videos:

Bastard in Doubles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OtimoUfVFw&feature=g-crec-u

500# Eagle Loop DL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbw6F2nzC_g&feature=g-crec-u

390# 19/64" Bar in IMP's

Tuesday, December 11th, 2012

Zercher Squats:

155# 5 x 4

400# 19/64" Bar in firm IMP's to 4" (85%)

400# 19/64" Bar in soft IMP's to 4" (90%)

Thanks for checking it out.

Mike

• Like 2

Glad to see you here. Join the race to the red and I think you guys can push eachother. At the least it may be good to see what others in your shoes are doing.

Evening:

Neutral Grip Pull Ups +53#

6 x 2

7 x 5/16" Stainless crushed from 2.5 to 2.25"

415# 19/64" bar kinked to 4" (90%)

Wednesday, December 12, 2012:

Bending Day Off (at least this morning)

Swings @ 24kg: 1 set: 900 reps, 23 minutes.
Fat Gripz DL: 180# x 12

:yikes

Holy hell...that's a rep ever 1.5 second for 23 minutes. Once again...reading something in a workout log I will never do. :)

• Like 1

:yikes

Holy hell...that's a rep ever 1.5 second for 23 minutes. Once again...reading something in a workout log I will never do. :)

I'm glad that's impressive, I certainly won't be blowing anyone's skirt up with my weightlifting hahahaha :getlost::getlost::getlost:

Evening:

Doing Kink, Sweep & Crush in different sessions seems to be allowing me to add quite a bit of volume without too much distress.

Crush: 7 x 5/16" Stainless. 1.9" .... hard. way harder than the bastard.

Sweep: 4 x 19/64" bars from 4.25" to 3.75". 2 x in firm IMP's. 2 x in soft IMP's

Quick and easy.

• Like 1

Thursday, December 13th, 2012

Fat Gripz Overhead Press on 7" OLY Bar: 85# 5x5

Swept: 3 x (400#) 19/64" bars from 4.25" to 3.5" in soft IMP's (85%)

Crushed 5 x (400#) 19/64" bar from 3.75" to 2.25" in soft IMP's (85%)

Its remarkable how much more challenging everything is in my softer IMP's. If I get stuck, I slap on the firmer ones and I easily add 10 to 20# of leverage. Great. I like making things harder.
  • Like 1

Thursday Evening:

Crushed 4 x "M" Bars from 2.5" to <1.75" in soft IMP's

Crushed 6 x 400-410# 19/64" Bars from 2.5" to <1.75" in soft IMP's

410-420# 19/64" Bar in IMP's with no rubber bands.

First difficult bend without rubber bands. Definitely a bit awkward. :getlost:

Took forever.

Probably going to add one of these difficult no band bends at the end of one or two workouts per week. Obviously the poundages are estimated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghd8xVgYpZc

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 1

December 16th, 2012

its all a mental game:

4 x 19/64" bars kinked to 4.25" (including end piece) (all at 80%,even the end piece was smooth) :rock

tried to move a stuck "N" even though I knew I shouldn't and all my frustration returned. now I know... better to leave a workout on a high note.

hub work on a 10# plate with a 1/2" hub. up to 20# hops.

Monday, December 17th, 2012:

Pull Up Variations. around 70 reps @ BW. best set of 7.

Bending:

2 x 400# 19/64" bars kinked in soft IMP's to 4.25"
1 x 415# 19/64" bar kinked in firm IMP's to 4.25"

Wednesday December 19, 2012:

Almost took a day off. Thank goodness that didn't happen. :whistel

7 x 5/16" HRS Kink very similar to Red. After that, closer to 350#. I've bent several of these, the first time I've successfully kinked them in IMP's so I'll count that as a win.

"N" Bar from 10 degrees to about 30 degrees. Progress in millimeters. Maybe 5 or 6 hits.
  • Like 1

Sick, but I needed to do something:

Wide grip chin ups +44# 6 x 3

5 x 19/64" crushed from 3.75" to 2.25" (75%). This felt pretty easy and I got a modified swep hit on each.

Christmas Eve, 2012:

Been sick. Been frustrated. Maybe all I needed was some rest.

Friend bought some stock for me at Home Depot as a present. I estimate around 370#, which actually works great as a warmup with no bands.

4 x 370# bars with no rubber bands. All to 1.5"

1 x "N" Bar from about 15 degrees to 1.9" Maybe 7 or 8 hits. Only thing that felt hard was the final crush.

December 31, 2012:

Last Day of the Year PR's:

Reverse 2 x "H" x 7 in BB Wraps. (290 - 300#)

DU 1 x "G" x 6 in BB Wraps (maybe 350#)

I think I will include some wrist bending, sub max once every two weeks, just to take my wrists for a jog,

10 more degrees of movement on an "N" bar DO in IMP's.

these continue to move at the rate of a 5 degrees every other hit.

I will continue to work through a few, doing no more than 10 isos hits, and probably closer to 7 or 8.

I feel like my recent illness was brought on by pushing to 105% too many times. now I will dial it back 90 to 95 strength on isos, especially in the kink area.

IM Hub @ 40# x 15 (L/R)

Happy New Year
  • Like 1

January 1, 2013:

One Handed Ring Lifts:

250, 260, 270# R/L
230 x 2-4 x 3 R/L

(found these actually help my sweep, allowing me to lock the core of my body and twist into the steel)

deloaded "N" bar in modified IMP's to 1.9"

(little experiment... I seem to be stuck between 420 & 440#, so I was trying to think of a way to 'deload' the bar without changing my setup the way switching wraps does. added a thin strip of leather to the inside of the wrap that takes the IMP from 1.125" to 1.20". got this idea from an old video of Wigren's. this increase gave me the leverage to move the bar on every hit around 90% intensity without really changing my hand position)

new plan is to bend every other day: 3 bends, a warm up in IMP's with no bands, a deloaded "N" bar, then a 19/64" bar in IMP's with no bands. well see if this gets me over my current plateau.

• Like 1

January 2, 2013:

Swings @ 32kg.

370# bar in IMP's no bands to 1.6"
"N" Bar in modified IMP's to 2.5"
19/64" Bar to 1.75" in IMP's

January 4, 2013:

Zerchers:

5 x 5 @ 152#

1/4 x 7" stainless square to 1.5" (butter)

19/64" to 1.75" (75%)

Evening:

Red Nail in Modified IMP's. (80-85%)

red_zpsa30a69df.jpg

got these Red's from Mitts. Seem a little bit easier than the spiral ones I have. I'll try one next time to see where its at. I'll post a new video soon.

Current plan is to bend maybe 5 more Reds or N's (the N's are 10# more than the Reds on the crush, but the Red has a harder kink), then I am going to reduce the size of the piece of leather by 1/3 and see how that goes.
  • Like 1

Good work Mike.

Are those the current Reds that are being sold? I haven't bought any in a long time.

Yes I got them from Mitti. I bent it in my modified wraps, so I don't have a comparison bend yet, but next go I will do one of my spiral nails and let you know. They are the same weight though. If anything they are a bit easier on sweep and crush, or I have improved. For you they'll be butter.

• Like 1