The Birth Of The Gracie Bell

dubthewonderscot

I find large steel balls in the scrap pile where I work once in awhile.Found a pair of 145 pounders some 95ers,but haven't run into any of those smaller ones that you have yet.Score!!! good find my friend.You should make some globe barbells out of some of those.

dubthewonderscot,

Really cool lookin bell. :rock

nice looks really good, I wish you could make an ulimited amount of these for each memeber of the board who is interested

Nice work, Weldon. I love it!

And your daughter is a doll!

Nice work, Weldon. I love it!

And your daughter is a doll!

When Weldon and the family got there - it was almost a full moon that night. The next morning Gracie came out of the tent and asked - "Where'd the moon go........ - bring it back!" Really cute when she did it - probably loses something when I type it out.

I want that "BIG BOY" so bad! I could not lift it now but I would work on it all the time! It would cost me more to get it to my house!!

Man,

I hope somebody on the board gets it. I have non grip guys asking me questions on Ebay. It would be a big bummer to have it sold to someone who wasn't going to train with it, name it, or use it for it's intended purpose.

Man,

I hope somebody on the board gets it. I have non grip guys asking me questions on Ebay. It would be a big bummer to have it sold to someone who wasn't going to train with it, name it, or use it for it's intended purpose.

I'm a grip guy who asked you a question on ebay! I hope I get it too :D Good idea with the boxing it seperately thing, that should save whoever wins it a couple hundred dollars, don't tell the non GB people about it though ;)

thats the plan. So you guys could afford to outbid them as you won't have shipping.

thats the plan. So you guys could afford to outbid them as you won't have shipping.

Cool. How much should that welding job cost? Because with just an over the phone quote (obviously not 100% accurate) a local company was saying $75-100. That seems a bit excessive for two simple welds.

Cool. How much should that welding job cost? Because with just an over the phone quote (obviously not 100% accurate) a local company was saying $75-100. That seems a bit excessive for two simple welds.

I agree thats a bit excessive, it took me less than an hour to do both welds. I bet you could find an independant that would charge you by the hour and that would probably be cheaper.

I agree thats a bit excessive, it took me less than an hour to do both welds. I bet you could find an independant that would charge you by the hour and that would probably be cheaper.

Ok, I might be able to get the mechanics at my mom's work to do it for free, she's going to ask them if they can weld tonight, or maybe somebody at my dad's work, we'll see. BTW, you have a pm from me, just respond about the shipping weight, as the other thing is irrelevant now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I have an idea for those of you who will be getting one of my bells. I would like your input on this.

To make these unique, what would you all think of getting the name of everyone who has lifted them and the date it was done, etched into the steel like the stanley cup. It would make them a piece of fascinating history in the grip world. What do you think?

Guys,

I have an idea for those of you who will be getting one of my bells. I would like your input on this.

To make these unique, what would you all think of getting the name of everyone who has lifted them and the date it was done, etched into the steel like the stanley cup. It would make them a piece of fascinating history in the grip world. What do you think?

How would I go about etching it in? I know 3 guys right off the top of my head in my city alone who could lift it, the lighter one might get full fast :D Cool idea, if you could give me a good idea of how to do it inexpensively I'm game.

Ok gang,

handles were made, the db's that were to be put together are put together.

Derek, your handle is made and globes are still sitting out in the rain. Do you want me to grind them down rust free before I mail them and the handle to you or do you want them faster?

Chris, your ......whatever you've named it bell is made. It's a big SOB as you can see in the picture below.

bells

on the Bells that were made, i need to do some grinder work on the welds tomorrow to smooth everything down and de-rust them.

Chris, you still ok with the Big bell making an appearance at gripmas, or do you want me to go ahead and send it to you?

enjoy guys

Edited by dubthewonderscot

Chris, you still ok with the Big bell making an appearance at gripmas, or do you want me to go ahead and send it to you?

enjoy guys

Absolutely. Since your already driving there take it with and give those guys a shot at it. I would like to see who can lift it.

enjoy guys

Absolutely. Since your already driving there take it with and give those guys a shot at it. I would like to see who can lift it.

Chris - are you coming to Gripmas?

enjoy guys

Chris - are you coming to Gripmas?

nope too far to drive alone.. I posted a carpool thread but no responses. Ive got a ton of stuff going on anyways and really cant drop that much money right now.. on top of the bell.

anti-rust plan

for you guys that don't want to paint your DB's what i plan on doing with mine rather than a salt bath is to build a little fire ring and heat up the db over a charcoal fire, then roll it out of the fire and coat it down with an oil coating while it's hot. I learned this little bit when I started blacksmithing. Solid Bee's wax is even better if you can get it, oil works if you can't.

It's not 100% anti-rust, but it's better than untreated and won't be slippery after it dries unlike a wd-40 or so applied to room temp steel.

hope this helps

Yep - the Gracie Bell is a beautiful thing to behold! I'm trying to decide how to finish it so it doesn't rust like everything else left in my unheated except when I'm out there garage gym. I'm thinking of burying it in salt but it would take a lot of salt. Or maybe paint the bells and just salt season the handle - not sure yet. Hopefully I can get Gracie to sign it for me someday when she learns to write :D .

Chris, when I was talking to the mechanics that welded my bell they said that if you put salt on the bell it would eat away at the metal until it was destroyed unless you sandblasted the salt away which would defeat the purpose. Anyone else have a relatively simple idea for finishing this bell? I'm not sure if I could manage your idea Weldon.