Hardy Handshake Vs. Secret Weapon

Cannon

What are the pros and cons of Hardy Handshake vs. Secret Weapon? I understand the mechanics of both, but I have never used either, so I hope to get opinions from people who have trained with them. Any opinions about use, training benefits of one vs. the other, ergonomics, anything would be helpful. I plan to fabricate my own version of one or the other, but I don't know what direction to head.

Thanks!

I've never actually heard of anyone liking their HH (the main complaint being that it was too easy to cheat). Many people like the Secret Weapon, and it has produced great gains for some, so I would probably go for the SW.

Edited by Wes

O.K., I'll tell ya right now -- the Secret Weapon is a painful, PAINFUL grip machine to use.

Yesterday, I put 130 pounds on it and my damn eyeballs nearly popped out of my head! :ohmy I had to back it off to 85 pounds to do some long timed holds on it. I still feele the effects of it today.

And then there are those that have tried the IM's Hardy Handshake and didn't like it. I myself have never tried one so I couldn't tell ya about it.

Aside from the ease of cheating on the HH, my biggest complaint is the thickness of the handles. Your hand won't get strong in the last 1/4" so using the HH or at least that was my experience. I made a conscientious effort to train with mine and did all I could not to cheat. The result was I got very strong on the sweep but was peetering out on the last part. I went from owning a #3 to missing it by an 1/8" about 50% of the time. It was bizarre; I would set it to parallel with very little effort, even hold it at parallel with very little effort, then go from parallel to the last 1/4" or so very easily, and then just die on the last 1/4" to 1/8". I was thinking I'd be killing it after the ease of setting it and the first part. Needless to say I haven't touched that thing since. I switched back to training with grippers and it came right back. Make sure you throw in some gripper training if you decide to buy a HH or you'll be in for a rude awakening when you go to test on the grippers.

Everyone seems to prefer grippers over grip machines for training crush. I've only ever tried a secret weapon. It was really tough. I see how it could lead to gains on the grippers. I also see how it could lead to injury and make workouts too painful to be fun.

• Like 1

I have both. It has been 5 years since I touched the Hardy Handshake. It has been a year and a half since I touched the Secret Weapon.

I think the Secret Weapon I have is one of the last that Kinney made; it is over 5 years old.

Yes, the Secret Weapon is painful. However, it never really transformed into any significant improvements for me. I got the Hardy Handshake in 2000. It seemed to get me over the hump in closing the #2. I stopped using it when I got the SW.

Logically, the SW should work, and it should increase pinky strength and closing grippers. I suppose that is why I keep it. But like I said, I can't point to anything it has done for me. Kinney swore by his, and that is meaningful.

Hubgeezer

I have homemade SW style machine and I kinda like it. It is not very comfortable to use but at least I know I'm doing something :cool

What are the pros and cons of Hardy Handshake vs. Secret Weapon? I understand the mechanics of both, but I have never used either, so I hope to get opinions from people who have trained with them. Any opinions about use, training benefits of one vs. the other, ergonomics, anything would be helpful. I plan to fabricate my own version of one or the other, but I don't know what direction to head.

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the replies. This is very interesting! What about the Hardy Handshake makes cheating easy enough that you have to purposefully NOT cheat?

the handle on top moves and not the one on bottom: the palm is going towards the fingers and not the fingers towards the palm. Just the slightest bit of body english allows you to lift more weight on this machine. The purpose of a machine is to be able to progressively increase your workload. Until you can find a way to consistently not cheat you won't know if you're getting stronger or just using a smidge more body english....it's frustrating to say the least. It's one thing to use perfect form on light weights but when you're giving a max effort and your whole body is tensed, good luck not using any body english.

I've got a homemade SW also and agree that the pain can be tough. Using it for a set of 5 reps isn't bad, but doing a heavy hold/negative can kill your hand.

If you do decide on the SW, work up slowly to heavy poundages. Give yourself a chance to get used to it....

O.K., I'll tell ya right now -- the Secret Weapon is a painful, PAINFUL grip machine to use.

Yesterday, I put 130 pounds on it and my damn eyeballs nearly popped out of my head! :ohmy I had to back it off to 85 pounds to do some long timed holds on it. I still feele the effects of it today.

And then there are those that have tried the IM's Hardy Handshake and didn't like it. I myself have never tried one so I couldn't tell ya about it.

I have both machine but HH was even more painful. As a matter of fact I've injured my wrist using HH.

• 8 years later...