No Plates Without Lip At My Gym

truth1ness

So I work out at two gym locations and neither has flat metal plates. Both have hex shaped plates with lips but one has just metal coated while the other has rubber coated plates. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to do plate pinch training with these with the lip or if that's just going to take away most of the benefits (I'm not looking to compete any time soon at this point). Is there any way to make these plates more useful for gripping? Or should I get some actual pinch blocks?

So I work out at two gym locations and neither has flat metal plates. Both have hex shaped plates with lips but one has just metal coated while the other has rubber coated plates. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to do plate pinch training with these with the lip or if that's just going to take away most of the benefits (I'm not looking to compete any time soon at this point). Is there any way to make these plates more useful for gripping? Or should I get some actual pinch blocks?

There's probably some value in pinching the plates, but if I were you I would just get a pinch block, I think you would get more out of it. If you don't want to buy one, you could make one out of wood then use an eyelet screw to attach to a loading pin or just tie the weights to it.