Grippers, Pinch And Stuff.

PeterSweden

I need somewhere to log and track my progress.

This time I wont lose interest or fail to hunt down my goals due to my back problems.

Like I did with my RT and pinch goals.

My back can take me lifting up a gripper still.

I've been training grippers for like a month now and I think I've finally found a way to train them that works good for me.

I really used to be a hard gainer on grippers but this month I went from regaining strength (muscle memory) to getting some kind of PR almost every session.

I found my "spark" when we realized how extremly strong my best friend really was.

We're training together every monday and friday since like 4 weeks back.

Monday is bench, grippers and dynamic thumb strength.

Friday is bench, grippers and 1h pinch on the euro.

We go by feel, if we're tired and don't have power we go down to coc2 and coc2,5 and do explosive work or higher reps but avoid failure.

If we feel strong we go for some kind of PR with TNS, CCS, 1,5"GHP BS, 20mm BS or MMS.

Also we try to avoid doing heavy singles more than once a month.

Singles seem to be the factor that got me fatigued, overtrained and a hard gainer.

We do between 3-30 reps and stop training when we start to lose power and perform badly.

Ahh, went on a rant there, but anyways, my first goal is to cert ghp7.

Petter, my friend, killed the cert on his 8th gripper training session.

I gotta try to keep up as best I can. 😁

• Like 7

Good to see you back at it bro. Now to try and keep consistent man. I have the same, grippers do not come natural to me. Just try to really keep your work consistent and scheduled as you planned. That is the only way to see what works and what doesn't. You have some experience on what doesn't work already. If the current routine doesn't work, we can maybe see and find out what is not going well and give some advice how to tweak your plans. Make sure not do too much, besides the gripperwork, recovery is probably a big factor, as it is with most.

• Like 1

Good to see you back at it bro. Now to try and keep consistent man. I have the same, grippers do not come natural to me. Just try to really keep your work consistent and scheduled as you planned. That is the only way to see what works and what doesn't. You have some experience on what doesn't work already. If the current routine doesn't work, we can maybe see and find out what is not going well and give some advice how to tweak your plans. Make sure not do too much, besides the gripperwork, recovery is probably a big factor, as it is with most.

Hell yeah

Recovery is a major issue.

If I recover enough I'll train on friday.

My hands feel really beaten up atm.

Fatigue de luxe.

Hell yeah

Recovery is a major issue.

If I recover enough I'll train on friday.

My hands feel really beaten up atm.

Fatigue de luxe.

haha nice.

Yeah...for me a mix between speed and heavy work is best, two times heavy per week = regression, and doing reps isn't giving me enough stimulus. Even when I do heavy attempts, my hands don't feel sore from grippers, so that's why after grippers I do some assistance work which really works the muscles like wristcurls and thickbar. But that is once per week.

I felt tired today. I was far from recovered.

Workingsets.

Righty;

1x14 and 1x8@parallell hoseclamped coc3.

10@20mmBS coc2.

Lefty;

2x5 coc2,5 parallell hoseclamped.

15@20mmBS coc1

5-6 holds 1hp til almost failure with an empty euro both hands.

I think I might need a whole week of rest now.

My hands feel crippled.

Edited by PeterSweden

Good to see you start a log here Peter. Very strong work thus far my friend!

• Like 1

Now not going to be a smart ass or something, but you know this wasn't probably a good moment to train, given your body's signalling. So you are keeping the recovery rate low and give your body no room for supercompensation...I know how hard it is, but better two recovered squeezing sessions instead of 4 average workouts, if you catch my drift. This alone made a lot of difference for me in training. And sometimes I also fall for this trap when schedule says yes but body says no.

Now not going to be a smart ass or something, but you know this wasn't probably a good moment to train, given your body's signalling. So you are keeping the recovery rate low and give your body no room for supercompensation...I know how hard it is, but better two recovered squeezing sessions instead of 4 average workouts, if you catch my drift. This alone made a lot of difference for me in training. And sometimes I also fall for this trap when schedule says yes but body says no.
Yeah, I know.

It just hard to not train. Gonna try to get more rest before next session.

Prolly wont train on monday but rather wait til next friday.

Good to see you start a log here Peter. Very strong work thus far my friend!

Gotta keep track of my first close of coc3,5 ever.

Its coming soooon! I will CCS a heavy coc3 next year and Do reps on 3,5 mms!

Edited by PeterSweden
  • Like 1

Yesterday I bent a red nail in IMPs.

No warmup or anything.

We were drinking coffee and I had to see if I still could.

I always found kinking the bar to be the hardest part so when I bent it to 90* I stopped.

My upper body is sore as hell from benching two days ago and my chest would have exploded if I had gone for the crush.

Petter crushed the red from 90 a few hours later.

He couldn't just smash it though. He had to put some effort in to it.

My hands are not recovered from our last gripper session yet.

It's a week since we trained, tomorrow.

Might wait til Monday if I don't feel rested.

I know chez trains every 10 days so Monday will be great.

Edited by PeterSweden

I saw that not only David Wigren but also Simon Norevi has certified on mm1.

Its about time that I try it too I guess.

Gonna try it first thing next year.

• Like 1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=24z2qg_Sq94

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf1T3c37BNg

Todays session after warmup:

Lefty;

1x@coc2 CCS

1x@coc2,5 1"GHP-BS

1x@coc2,5 1,5"GHP-BS PR

2@coc2,5 20mm-BS PR

0@GHP6 20mm-BS

2x10@coc2 20mm

6@coc2 1,5"GHP-BS PR

1@coc2,5 mms

Righty;

1@coc2,5 CCS

1@140lbs coc3 1"GHP-BS

1@140lbs coc3 1,5"GHP-BS PR

3@140lbs coc3 20mm-BS PR

1@146lbs coc3 20mm-BS PR

5@BBGM 20mm

10@coc2,5 20mm

14@coc2 1,5"GHP-BS

6@coc3 hoseclamped to 20mm

Not a supersession even tho I PRed alittle.

• Like 1

Everything MMS today.

Warmup;

2x20@cocT both hands.

20@coc0,5 both h.

10@coc1 both h.

8@coc2 righty and 5@coc2 lefty.

5@coc2,5 righty 5@coc2 lefty

Righty;

Almost 8@bbgm

14@coc2,5

30@coc2

Lefty;

Almost 3@coc2,5

8@coc2

43@coc1

1hp;

2x1 10 sec hold empty euro, 27,5kg.

1@32,5kg

2x1@35kg cheat and 1h short hold and a negative.

2x1@empty euro holds.

2 turns on 10lbs sledge finger walk both hands.

Tired today, no rep-PRs but got some decent work in.

Yes, you defenitely have to catch up! judging by your current gripper training I'd say you're fairly close already my friend!

Yes, you defenitely have to catch up! judging by your current gripper training I'd say you're fairly close already my friend!

I tried to find the estimated ratings for the MMgrippers.

Can't find them now.

Do you know them?

When I can MMS my 157lbs coc3 every time, I should be ready for mm1?

Can't find them now.

Do you know them?

I would say yes.

- Aaron

• Like 1

Can't find them now.

Do you know them?

I would say yes.

- Aaron

Easy, I remember Chez writing down a good summary of MM gripper estimates, where the gap from MM2 to MM3 is described quite good, although, it sounded lke that. Never felt the other MM grippers myself other than the #1. The mm1 feels very spongy and has a sweep easy to set, and binds up a bit in the end. Be explosive and you're good. I have an IM#3 with a stiff sweep, rated @153 by CPW and it feels perhaps tougher to me then I experienced the MM1. Also the set of the gripper is a bit narrower. It is most important that you have your camera set up in the right way. Do a few testruns with your #3 and run the whole cert attempt through and film it. Post it so you can see how everything shows on screen. I did that and that made me prepared the right way.

http://youtu.be/UVfbKCeTg2w

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Trained today.

Wrote it down and internet shut down.

Cant remember it all now.

After some singles on coc3s I did sets of 8 on coc2,5 and 26@coc2 with a 20mm BS.

Sets of 8 on coc2 and 36@coc1 with 20mm BS.

Sledge walked 10lbs and 15lbs sledge.

20,9 lbs stopped me today.

How close were you on the 20.9 lbs fingerwalk?

Great job on the 15 lbs fingerwalk!

How close were you on the 20.9 lbs fingerwalk?

Great job on the 15 lbs fingerwalk!

I already did it a few weeks back.

I got half way today.

I felt beat before I even began.

Grippers felt off too.

I was just going to train grippers easy after reading that Kody Burns does so when he is tired but I might have went harder than I should have.

Warmup;

10 CCS @CoCT, CoC0,5, CoC1 and some speed singles MMS between sets.

3 CCS @filed CoC1,5

1 lefty 3 righty CCS @CoC2

Righty;

1 CCS @CoC2,5

Missed CCS @140lbs CoC3. Knew I wouldn't get it cause I was tired warming up so I don't know why I even tried it.

5 explosive reps @clamped coc3

1 CCS @CoC2,5

28 @CoC2 20mmBS, 2 rep PB

4x1 speed closes CoC1 30mmBS

3 TNS @CoC2

Lefty;

Missed GHP6 MMS by a hair.

5 easy MMS @CoC2

1 CCS @CoC2

36 @CoC1 20mmBS I think a PR.

4x1 @CoC0,5 speedcloses 30mmBS

3 TNS @CoC1,5

Maybe I overdid it, I don't know. We'll see on Friday.

I was just going to train grippers easy after reading that Kody Burns does so when he is tired but I might have went harder than I should have.

Warmup;

3 CCS @filed CoC1,5

Righty;

1 CCS @CoC2,5

Missed CCS @140lbs CoC3. Knew I wouldn't get it cause I was tired warming up so I don't know why I even tried it.

1 CCS @CoC2,5

3 TNS @CoC2

Lefty;

5 easy MMS @CoC2

1 CCS @CoC2

3 TNS @CoC1,5

Your goal is the MM1 right? Why not take some more time just doing singles as explosive as you can with the trainer and MAX the IM#1 for warmup instead of many reps? BAM...few minutes rest...BAM...few minutes rest....BAM. And from there one single close one gripper up. IM#2....IM# 2.5....and when you feel the #2.5 cost you a bit more effort then you want, try that one again before moving up. You will notice the second attempt will be much better..and then further up....IM#3 140...till the working range where you do around 5 singles or so. I do 5 minutes in between for rest. I set a timer because my biological 5 minutes are 3 minutes i noticed, so I do myself short with going to fast.

My experience is that I have no benefit of pumping my lowerarms full with blood with many reps. This kills my hands. Singles don't do that. What I also know for my gripperwork is that I need more warming up than I think, I have the tendency to step into the working range too soon. When you feel that you are struggling with a gripper during warming up and it still does when you try it for the second single, you know this isn't going to be a good grippersession and you better stop before you really nibble off your recovery when still trying to attempt your goal gripper or working range. This is not holy at all Peter, but it's just what my experience is.

• Like 2

Warmup;

3 CCS @filed CoC1,5

Righty;

1 CCS @CoC2,5

1 CCS @CoC2,5

3 TNS @CoC2

Lefty;

5 easy MMS @CoC2

1 CCS @CoC2

3 TNS @CoC1,5

Your goal is the MM1 right? Why not take some more time just doing singles as explosive as you can with the trainer and MAX the IM#1 for warmup instead of many reps? BAM...few minutes rest...BAM...few minutes rest....BAM. And from there one single close one gripper up. IM#2....IM# 2.5....and when you feel the #2.5 cost you a bit more effort then you want, try that one again before moving up. You will notice the second attempt will be much better..and then further up....IM#3 140...till the working range where you do around 5 singles or so. I do 5 minutes in between for rest. I set a timer because my biological 5 minutes are 3 minutes i noticed, so I do myself short with going to fast.

My experience is that I have no benefit of pumping my lowerarms full with blood with many reps. This kills my hands. Singles don't do that. What I also know for my gripperwork is that I need more warming up than I think, I have the tendency to step into the working range too soon. When you feel that you are struggling with a gripper during warming up and it still does when you try it for the second single, you know this isn't going to be a good grippersession and you better stop before you really nibble off your recovery when still trying to attempt your goal gripper or working range. This is not holy at all Peter, but it's just what my experience is.

Yeah I know. Im retarded for not getting more rest between workouts.

I find it so hard to stay away from grip training.

Its so much fun!

My first goal is MMS ghp8 actually. I've come as close as 2-3 mm from closing it.

I really want to smash it and grind the handles together.

Edited by PeterSweden

Warmup;

3 CCS @filed CoC1,5

Righty;

1 CCS @CoC2,5

1 CCS @CoC2,5

3 TNS @CoC2

Lefty;

5 easy MMS @CoC2

1 CCS @CoC2

3 TNS @CoC1,5

Yeah I know. Im retarded for not getting more rest between workouts.

I find it so hard to stay away from grip training.

Its so much fun!

My first goal is MMS ghp8 actually. I've come as close as 2-3 mm from closing it.

I really want to smash it and grind the handles together.

This is true. I can really look forward a whole week for just that bit of griptraining. Our little slice of heaven!

Im going to try to train grippers like Kody Burns suggested for a while.

I think I will use a 20mm block and start with bbgm righty, coc2 lefty.

My PR with 20mm block on bbgm is 5 but that was when I was fatigued already.

Im pretty sure I can get 3x3 when Im rested.

I can do 5x5 coc2 lefty but I cant do 3x3 coc2,5 yet so I'll start with 5x5 coc2 lefty and then 3x6 and exceed 5 reps, maybe up to 8-10 if nesseccary.

Gonna rest up til next wednesday and then smash it!

New found motivation right there!

I love the grip well.

Day one of Kody Burns type training.

Warmup.

3x3@coc2 lefty and bbgm righty with 20mm block. (My unrated BBGM is right between coc2,5 and coc3.)

Easy left, alittle heavy right, I hadn't recovered like I thought, BUT, I didn't think it would matter on day one.

I closed it, that's what matters.

Next time I'll do 3x4.

Now some 1h euro pinch and sledge walk.

Resting 8-10 days til next session.