Justin M: Barbell, Grip, Bending

Justin Matney

11/29/2015

Squat:315x3x5

Bench (w/slingshot): 275x5, 305x5, 315x2x3

Dumbbell row: 70x12, 100x10

Felt pretty rough. Ear infection I think, lifted anyway. Had to break out the slingshot. What an ingenious piece of equipment. Very much reminds me of the board presses we used to do in high school to break plateaus. This may be more effective though, as you still get a full range of motion and reinforced form.

12/4/2015

Squat: 365x3x5

OHP: 170x5, 170x2, 155x5, 165x5

Deadlift: 365x3

Did Difranco's Agile 8 before lifting. Sounded like a big bowl of rice krispies, snap, crackle, pop. My son was laughing at me :|

Squats went up like butter again.

Really stalling out on ohp and deadlift. Starting to wonder if I'm not cramming too much into one workout. A friend suggested switching to madcow 5x5, so I may check that out. I think I've milked the linear progression dry.

Distinct possibility that I'm just took damn fat to get into good deadlift position (I'm typing that as I order pizza). Too much beer, too much everything. I really have to get my diet lined out.

Edited by jmatney

Did not have time to lift today. On the road now. Will go to the university fitness center to lift if schedule permits.

Been doing mobility work along with rehab work on my still nagging elbow. Limber 11, extensor bands, armaid, etc.

12/11/2015

Only had time to squat today. My sister had a kid this morning so we're driving down to meet him. Good session though:

225x5

275x5

315x1

385x1

405x1

225x10

First time getting under 405 in quite a few years. Went up no problem. Unracked 455 but decided against it. I'd say I'm good for 430 for a single, belt only. Maybe more.

Still have some nagging lower back pain. Might just be part of being in my mid 30s.

Trying to figure out my maxes this weekend so I can start 5/3/1. Interested to see if I can deadlift 405 fresh. I always deadlift after squats and overhead presses, so I'm usually toast by then.

Going for about 300 on the bench and 185 ohp. We will see.

Other than that, been doing lots of mobility training, as well as forearm rehab with the armaid. I love that thing.

Congrats with the family multiplication :sorcerer:

Those are some good numbers to start with 531 already. Nice. I like 531 btw, gave it a good whirl a while ago and finished a cycle. It has more achievable rep counts for me, since with daily life, I am not always up to massive PR sessions when they are scheduled. This programs works perfectly fine for that. Good is good, and more is better, but not required. Makes it less mental if you catch my drift.

• Like 1

Those are some good numbers to start with 531 already. Nice. I like 531 btw, gave it a good whirl a while ago and finished a cycle. It has more achievable rep counts for me, since with daily life, I am not always up to massive PR sessions when they are scheduled. This programs works perfectly fine for that. Good is good, and more is better, but not required. Makes it less mental if you catch my drift.

Thanks buddy. Good to get some feedback on 5/3/1. Flexibility (schedule wise) is key for me, with 2 young kids and having to dedicate nearly 90 hrs per week to my job. Not complaining, I'm blessed beyond measure. Does get somewhat hectic at times though.

Indian summer here in WV, so I had to take advantage of the weather today. Broke up my yard work with max bench attempts. Worked up to 290. Tried 300, but only got it about a third of the way up. Ridiculously weak. Good to know where I stand anyway.

Been pretty diligent with armaid therapy as well as the limber 11 mobility stuff.

Thanks buddy. Good to get some feedback on 5/3/1. Flexibility (schedule wise) is key for me, with 2 young kids and having to dedicate nearly 90 hrs per week to my job. Not complaining, I'm blessed beyond measure. Does get somewhat hectic at times though.

Indian summer here in WV, so I had to take advantage of the weather today. Broke up my yard work with max bench attempts. Worked up to 290. Tried 300, but only got it about a third of the way up. Ridiculously weak. Good to know where I stand anyway.

Been pretty diligent with armaid therapy as well as the limber 11 mobility stuff.

Wow what kind of work do you do? How do you manage to squeeze training in besides family and work?

Well I'm just away for that long, usually 4 days at a time. Off Friday Saturday Sunday. Sometimes a gym is available but sometimes not.

I usually lift in the garage Friday and Sunday, seldom Tuesday on the road. Trying to work into a position that gets me off the road.

I do telecom work.

Edited by jmatney

Well I'm just away for that long, usually 4 days at a time. Off Friday Saturday Sunday. Sometimes a gym is available but sometimes not.

I usually lift in the garage Friday and Sunday, seldom Tuesday on the road. Trying to work into a position that gets me off the road.

I do telecom work.

Ah ok. Thnx. Keep it up.

Maxed on deadlift and standing overhead press today. Worked up to 405 on deadlift and 200 on standing OHP.

Deadlift performed alternate grip traditional stance. Thing is I felt like I had A LOT more in the tank, 50 more pounds at least, but I don't trust my lower back lately. So I played it relatively safe.

200 on OHP was pretty strict and a grinder, but it was a great feeling rep. Had hoped to hit 200 for a single by the end of the year.

I think I did something bad.

Pain in the nerve shooting down my hip to my ankle. That can't be good.

Feels a lot better today. Being on my feet at work did wonders.

• 3 weeks later...

There's the 405 squat from a few weeks ago. Looks like I had a lot more in the tank, but I'm using 405 as my max for 5/3/1, which I'm starting Monday. Had planned on starting today, but I've been dealing with some godawful virus for a week now and I'm in no condition.

I believe I was overthinking the lower back stuff. I've taken the last few weeks off and it has all resolved. A few weeks of rest was all I needed.

Working local for a few months to start 2016, so I'm gonna use that opportunity to really dig into 5/3/1 and clean up my diet.

Feeling much better, so I started 5/3/1 today.

1/2/2016

Squat

240x5

275x5

310x12

40 bodyweight lunges

10 ab wheel rollouts

Actually pretty exhausted from this. The respiratory stuff kept me slightly short of breath for the duration - just enough to notice. Luckily it was in the mid 40s in the shed so the cool air felt great on my lungs.

That last balls to the wall set is already my favorite aspect of this program. Something quite barbaric about pushing out double digit reps with relatively heavy weight, particularly on squat.

Could only manage 10 rollouts on the ab wheel due to my elbow. Absolutely on fire. Looks like I've finally found something that aggravates the elbow worse than bending conduit with a hand bender, lol.

1/4/2016

Standing OHP

115x5

135x5

155x7

No time for accessory work this morning as I woke up late. Maybe tonight after work.

1/8//2016

Deadlift

240x5

275x5

310x6

Dumbbell rows

50x15

65x15

Wrist thingy pronation/supination

2x25x20

Still haven't recovered from being sick. Getting worse again actually. Zero energy today. Had planned on deadlift and bench, not a chance though. Was lucky to get that 6th rep on 310. Pitiful.

Already in love with the wrist thingy. Never had such an insane forearm pump, puberty notwithstanding.

Very psyched about using this thing.

1/10/2016

Bench

170x5

195x5

220x11

Skull crushers

50x20

Bodyweight pushups

2x10

Wrist thingy

Pronation/supination: 25x2x20

Ulnar/radial deviation:25x2x20

The shed was COLD today. Everything felt great though.

Week 1 of 5/3/1 is over, and I'm really digging it. Already looking forward to next week.

1/12/2016

Squat

255x3

290x3

330x6

Bodyweight lunges x2x20

Hanging leg raises x2x10

Wrist thingy pronation/supination x2x20

Ulnar/radial deviation x1x20

Felt kinda tight and tired all over, went double on my last set anyway though. Still getting used to this legit lifting belt. Having a hard time getting it tight enough.

First try at the hanging leg raises, which I'm sure looked comical.

• Like 1

1/15/2016

Abbreviated agile 8 to warm up (flexible 4?)

Standing OHP

125x3

145x3

160x5

Deadlift

255x3

290x3

330x6

Dumbbell rows

75x15

100x10

Ez curlz

65x2x10

Wrist thingy

Pronation/supination

25x4x20 (both hands both directions)

Ulnar/radial deviation

25x2x5

Edited by jmatney

1/17/2016

Bench

180x3

210x3

235x8

Skullcrushers

65x3x10

Bodyweight pushups 3x10

Wrist thingy

35x3x20 all directions

As someone who ran 5/3/1 with great success in the past, I would consider adding Wendler's "first set last". Do your first working set for as many reps as possible until near failure (or cap the reps) after the last work set.

• Like 1

1/21/2016

Squat

275x5

310x3

345x10

OHP

135x5

155x3

170x3

Bodyweight lunges x3x20

Good mornings

95x3x10

Hanging leg raise x15

35x3x20

Front/rear sledge lever 3x10

Brutal squat day. Felt awesome.

22 degrees outside, I really need to invest in a kerosene heater for the gym. Long underwear made it tolerable.

Loosened up my back warming up for OHP and something snap crackle popped. Dumb. No big deal. Pushed through anyway.

Edited by jmatney

1/24/2016

Deadlift

275x5

315x3

345x5

Dumbbell rows

75x16

100x12