Jon Vance Grip Log

jvance

In a grueling cycle of 2 a day workouts, been doing bar calisthenics and other BW drills at the playground during the afternoons on my days off from work (pullups, L-seats, dips, assisted one hand pull ups, one hand pushups, pistols, etc)

Later at night got in some grip

vulcan w/ 20mm block both hands, 1x2 @ level 12, 1x3 @ level 13

2" vbar both hands, 1x5 @ 206#, 1x5 @ 231#, 4x5 @ 256#

2hp 50mm, 2x2 @ 163, 1x3 @ 183#, 1x3 @ 193#, 1x3 @ 203#, 1x2 @ 208# (skin giving out, wanted one more single)

also did sledge pron/supin for strength and got all the way to the end of my 8# handle on a right hand supination. Did this supported on my curl pad, tried from the floor, no go...

• Like 2

Not really a grip day, did another afternoon round of pullup bar calisthenics... mainly dips and L seats, starting a flagging progression as well, hope to be able to flag in a reasonable amount of time

Night workout hit legs hard, alternated regular and box squats up to 320#, 3x3, also goodmornings and a variation of the glute ham raise b/c i don't have a real one

Messed around doing some hangs with various grip gadgets, found out i am good for a couple pullups on a RT/hub combo.. my hub absolutely sucks - topping around 45-50# so i'm guessing the RT hand was pulling 160#+.. so i'm about 25-35# away from a one hand pullup, less if i drop BW

video:

• Like 1

BW workout during afternoon, pistols and explosive situps to pop up

Night workout wind sprints, plyometric hops and standing vertical touches... highest reach was approx. 32"... not bad for not doing anything athletic in a while

went inside and did eagle loop calisthenics, total time suspended was over 10 mins.. did back lever progressions and several strict front levers... did a bunch of L seats as well

for grip work i warmed up with 3 triples 2 hand pinch at 163#, 5 singles at 183#, and then three 1-2 second pinch hangs from a pinch block (bodyweight 189)

did a lot of work doing various pullups and hangs with combinations of hub/IM anvil/RT... didn't take a count on these

finished with heavy singles, one arm axle; left hand up to 4x1 @ 175@/right hand 3x1 @ 195 (PR, also 1.03% BW)

got to get the left hand up to par on thick bar... it's embarrassing having a 20# difference offhand

Very strong pulls on the 2" vbar, Jon! 4 sets of 5 with 256lbs is serious business man. You've got to be pulling around 300lbs for a single.

Do you do constant tension pulls or touch the weight to the ground and reset for another pull style?

Very strong pulls on the 2" vbar, Jon! 4 sets of 5 with 256lbs is serious business man. You've got to be pulling around 300lbs for a single.

Do you do constant tension pulls or touch the weight to the ground and reset for another pull style?

Thanks Ben, I set the weight down, usually clap once or twice to keep the hands dry and reset. Last time I maxed a few months ago i only got 280... higher weights on vbar is a slippery slope, no pun intended. I have the endurance to do marathon lifts with near max weight but add 20-30lbs and i'm barely pulling... it is inexplicable.

afternoon bodyweight work; various pushup and situp variations... several momentary handstands before i got scared and bailed

night time warmup on the loops, twisting L seats and more back lever work

grip work was time under tension on the vbar, working sets of 3x5 @ 206# with a 3 second hold at top, fighting rotation

tapping drills on the 40# blob 4x10 each hand

one hand pinch, singles in workout sissy gloves, up to 83# right hand and 78# left

Easing back into things after being sick for a while... BW 191

Bodyweight stuff on the eagle loops; approximately 8 min total time under tension - L seats, front lever and back lever progression and other core moves

pullups w/ RT & hub, 3x2 alt sides

pullups w/ IM anvil & hub, 2x1

one arm hang from suspended 2" dumbbell handle, singles both hands - up to an addtl. 85# in free hand for combined 287# hang.. last three singles each hand were five second holds - short term goal is exceeding 300# combined weight hang

RT work, left hand 3x10 @ 153#, right hand 3x10 @ 173#

afternoon BW workout, mainly dips and L seats from my outside armchair

night workout, heavy squats up to 3x3 @280#

for grip i did 1hp alternating half reps and KB style swings @ 73#, used suede bending wraps over the contact area to help my thumbs not tear... 3 sets each style; 10 reps each set

did a few one hand ceiling hangs with my 2 and 2.8" db handles.. for the 2" i did 3 sets ten second hangs each hand.. for the 2.8" did 3 attempts each hand.. best right handed hang was 5 seconds, left managed only one good hang with brief pause

finally broke out the IM little big horn anvil and worked some volume.. final set was a marathon - managed 20 reps each hand plus an extra two pause reps @ 160#:

BW this morning 187.6, night was 190.1

Edited by jvance

BW 187.5

Dips and L Seat leg raises

grip endurance work.. warmup 2" vbar.. to working set of 35/35 reps each hand @ 211#, was hoping for 50/50 but skin started tearing.. total time was 9 min w/ quick rechalking breaks

90/90 reps on 130# inch trainer, total time was 17 min w/ quick rechalking breaks.. alternated between straddle, front, and suitcase style lifts

BW morning 188.6/night 190.8

Bodyweight calisthenics this morning, a little bit of everything

Night grip thin pinch on 38mm block singles to 160#

50mm block singles to 185#

a couple BW pinch hang attempts... solid air but not full control w/ pause.. should be doing pinch pullups soon - need a little more torque

that's about it besides extensor bucket work and stretching - kind of a light day trying to save some PRs for when Kody comes down thursday

pinch needs work though.. down considerably from where i should be and have been

Grip training session with Kody

Started off on a pretty lengthy warmup of regular and pistol squats and hit up crush grip. Both of us were feeling strong and hit some block sets up to #3s and then hit up the CCS work, Kody nailed the 3 twice (once on video) and i got some quality CCS reppage with his tough 2.5. I may end up making the 3 cert a priority here soon... gonna do more CCS with the 2.5.. i'll start with 5x3, then 5x4, to 5x5 with CCS... then start attempting 3 CCS... certing this gripper is long overdue and i've kept it on the backburner too long

after grippers we worked on 2hp. Kody brought out some fresh thumb skin savers he had made and they were top notch.. i was able to stay very close to working weight unhindered by wearing thumb protectors.. i think we worked up to 203# for holds - his being a bit longer than mine :)... also did the same with 1hp.. we got up 98 or 99 and did more holds for time... the weight was down a bit but i did sand off all the rust and chalk off my device prior to the session... so the steel was slick and felt brand new.. i'm fairly confident i can work up to a much bigger pinch once i relocate to TX and settle in a good routine.

we finally hit up hub and vbar at the end... did a bazzillion reps on the hub; slowly working up to my max of 53 both hands and Kody's max of 64 or 65... can't quite remember... then we pulled a bunch of singles with 230 on the vbar, fighting rotation and holding it motionless at the top for time...

All in all, another great workout in the books. Can't say enough about how much of a class act Kody is, true and absolute God-given hand strength!! His advice is gold... I've learned so much through the short time we've been training together and i'm truly sad to have to leave the great state of Ohio - a hotbed of grip talent and knowledge.

Two days later, my hands are still beat to hell lol

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

I used to live in SA, live in Austin now.

Me and Michael Hann and others get together to train grip on the regular.

You're welcome to come play and join our hardcore street gang. We wear blue and they call us the Grips.

• Like 2

I used to live in SA, live in Austin now.

Me and Michael Hann and others get together to train grip on the regular.

You're welcome to come play and join our hardcore street gang. We wear blue and they call us the Grips.

Lol ill be planning on it. It's good to have a grip crew to keep each other motivated and prepare for comps. I should be there in October but it might take a while to find a house and settle in. At this point I think making King Kong will probably be difficult - but we'll see....

Good luck with the move, Jon. I definitely think you should train to certify on the 3. First off, you're totally capable. I think an MMS of about 170 means ccsing any 3 comfortably. At least that's what I've taken from other people who have certified. Secondly, I know you're not a huge fan of the grippers, but being a captain of crush is just too badass to pass up.

• Like 1

My parallel and inward crush needs a lot of work... Still behind where I was in 2012. I should've back then... I was mashing it down to a 16th and could close with the wide ghp block. But tendinitis slowed me down and the grippers took a backseat

My parallel and inward crush needs a lot of work... Still behind where I was in 2012. I should've back then... I was mashing it down to a 16th and could close with the wide ghp block. But tendinitis slowed me down and the grippers took a backseat

No point in thinking about the would've could'ves...only here and now. It's a journey and it's always fun to have a specific goal that you're reaching toward. I think if you only train grippers once every ten days and continue doing all your tendonitis prevention stuff, you should be okay. I wouldn't even mess with wide sets for a while, just get brutal strong from either MMS or chokered to 20mm and the CCS strength should be there when called upon. Of course I'm a rookie and so what the hell do I know lol.

You're on the verge of closing the 3, hardly a rookie anymore Anthony!

Those work sets were advice given by Kody that helped his CCS running up to his cert. Andrew Durniat originally passed that info to him and its been tried and true. I will be putting it to use and ill advise. Right now my right is about good for 3 CCS reps on the 2.5. According to what Andrew originally told Kody, one needs to be strong enough to easily complete 5x5 CCS on the 2.5 before the one is ready to consistently CCS the 3.

Gotcha Jon, well anything they say should be taken as gospel with their level of expertise. That sounds like a very sound rep scheme for training towards!

Tonight and last night pretty much grip active recovery among squats (last night) and increasing BW calisthenics volume.

Also did hang cleans on the axle and FGs... both up to 205# for 2x3

Made a couple attempts at sloppy human flag.. don't have a good place to try this feat so i braced on my workbench and pulled with the eagle loops... got horizontal a few times but still not strong enough to extend the legs all the way out..

side note: all the calisthenics and heavy core work have been paying dividends... BW is down to 186 and very low bodyfat %.. also strength has been maintained and increased in most exercises - very limber and explosive.. i feel great

Edited by jvance
  • Like 3

There are many good tutorials on youtube with exercises for human flags and front levers etc :)

Yep there sure are, and one would be surprised how quickly your body can adapt to these extreme movements and succeed. A few weeks ago I thought a flag would be impossible. But since I've been building a base of core strength by doing L seat twists, front and back levers, handstanding attempts and a few other movements I made up.. my body can now raise itself horizontal for a few moments. Not nearly doing a strict flag anytime soon, but now I know it is 100% doable in reasonable time.

• Like 1