#3 Cert

Jeff Parker

With the Michigan Grip Champs contest behind me I'm going to focus solely on a #3 cert. I do this from time to time but a new contest comes up and I train for that instead. My next contest will be the King Kong contest in the fall so although I'm not putting a timeline on this cert I would really like to have it done before then. I will log all grip work minus any warmups.

The plan as of now is to work CCS width with torsion spring grippers as well as the Vulcan for sweep strength, and block set or chokered grippers for close strength.

5/6/14

CCS grippers

IM 2.5x1,1,1,1,1

140.48 IM #3x1

20mm block set grippers

140.48 IM#3x3,3

IM 2.5x10,10

David Horne Shallow Hub

31.5lbs x 5,5,5

Lots of sledgehammer work.

• Like 5

Nice to see a log like this. Do you have a specific approach in mind?

Did I read correct that you have a 140 lbs #3?

Good luck!

• Like 1

Good to see this log, Jeff! I think you'll knock this out of the park very, very soon. I saw that you closed a 165lb gripper in the 20mm block set event. You've got to be very close right now to CCS closing a 150lb gripper. What is your current best CCS close these days?

Nice to see a log like this. Do you have a specific approach in mind?

Did I read correct that you have a 140 lbs #3?

Good luck!

Thanks Geralt. My approach will be grippers twice a week with a lot more volume than this first workout. My wrists and forearms were still sore from the contest to do much. The other big change will be a reduction in other grip exercises, especially ones that take a long time to recover from like thickbar. I will hit some sort of hub every workout as I like that event and it doesnt bother my grippers at all as well as some sort of sledge work. Every so often I will throw in other grip work to keep everything well rounded but CCS grippers will always be my first movement and done with the most intensity.

Yes, it is a 140lb #3. I wanted a stepping stone gripper between the 2.5 and 3 so instead of trying to get lucky with a gripper falling in that gap Andrew Pantke modified it to come out at 140lbs, exactly what I asked for.

• Like 1

Good to see this log, Jeff! I think you'll knock this out of the park very, very soon. I saw that you closed a 165lb gripper in the 20mm block set event. You've got to be very close right now to CCS closing a 150lb gripper. What is your current best CCS close these days?

Ben, my best CCS close is the 140lb #3 from yesterday. My other 3 is not rated but based on feel compared to all the other 3's I would put it at 155. I cannot CCS it right now. Several years ago I was very close, I think I did close it but it was not slammed shut. Ive done a Vulcan level 13 in the past but not recently. I'll be trying the Vulcan next workout.

Sounds like a solid approach, Jeff. No doubts about accomplishing this feat!

CCS grippers

2.5x2,2

140.48 #3x1,1

Filed #2x7,4,4

Vulcan lvl 9x4,4,4

20mm block

140.48 #3x2,2

Ironmind hub

45x5,5,5

52x5

2" FBBC handle

131x5,5,5

Lots of sledge work

Sounds like a solid approach, Jeff. No doubts about accomplishing this feat!

Thanks Eric.

CCS grippers

#2.5x3,3,3

140.48#3x1,1,1 tried for a double on the second set and missed it by a hair.

Vulcan level 9x6,6,6

20mm block set

140.48#3x3,3

David Horne Shallow Hub

34x5,5,5

Lots of sledge hammer work

Whats your max ccs so far?

I can do the 140. My next gripper is an unrated #3 that I would put at 155. I can't do that one, last time I tried a few months ago I was a couple mm off. I'll attempt it again after I can close my 140 for 3 reps CCS.

My friend Chris just got a 50lb blob so I will have a chance to do a double blob farmers walk in about a month. I hit a bunch of Blob50 lifts and holds during my upper body workout that was after my grip workout. Then tried one handed carries and got:

30 feet right handed

20 feet left handed

Fresh I think I'm good for 30 feet right now would like to hit 40 when I do it next month .

My failed cert 3 is 157# with a wide spread

The number 3 you traded me rated in at 156. I'll bet with a little adrenalin you're ready for the cert.

Thanks for the info Andrew that gives me some confidence in my rating by feel ability. I would have guessed 153 because it was just a hair eaiser than the one I kept which I had guessed was 155, so I was only off by 4lbs. Also gives me confidence that when I can close the one I have every workout that I'll be ready.

I would not go thinking go knowing. Its not something you

want to fail....

want to fail....

I understand what you're saying. But it is impossible to know, unless the #3 is a known rating. This is not a dis on the #3s and their slight variances. The ratings I've seen for the last 5 years fall within a pretty narrow range. But there is always the chance of getting an outlier, let's say a 160lb #3. Or you could get a 140lb #3. I have RGC rated #3s below 140 and above 160. Way above 160, in the case of Jason Payne's phenomenal mutant #3. But it was an old steel-springed beast. I don't even volunteer what it RGC rated at anymore, because guys tend to argue about it being inaccurate. But the same guys will most likely never get their hands on Jason's #3. Josh Dale and Andrew Durniat have both attempted Jason's #3. They could tell you what it feels like. Why am I bringing up the rating of an old #3 that is nothing like the ones being manufactured today? Because it's interesting. And for every guy that says they're going to wait until they can CCS ANY #3...I'd tell them just to go ahead and cert the #3.5 instead. Because I've never felt a #3.5 that was harder than Jason's #3. And yeah, I closed a few #3.5s when I was still strong.

want to fail....

By the way Josh, the #3 you got at your cert attempt was a pretty damn stout RGC rating. That's about the equivalent of trying to CCS the MM1. And it was no doubt wider spread than the MM1. Hopefully that puts things in perspective a bit for you and boosts your appreciation of your own strength a bit.

CCS grippers

140.48 #3x2,1,1. Got the double

#2.5x3,3,2

Vulcan level 12x2,2,2

20mm block

140.48#3x3,3

165 elite choked to 20mm x1,1

Ironmind Hub

52x1, 57x1, 62x1, 67x1, 54.5x5,5,5

Hit the 67 left handed as well as right making it a 2.5lb PR left handed.

Lots of sledgehammer work

30lb blob curls rep work

CCS grippers

140.48#3x2,1,1 missed the double on the second set

#2.5x4,4,4.

Vulcan lvl 12x2,2

Elite choked to 20mmx2,2

David Horne Shallow Hub

34x2, 39x1, 44x1, 49x1, 51.5x1 36.5x 5,5,5

Nice PR there both right and left handed

Blob work

I don't usually post weightlifting workouts but I was real happy today to get 275 in the bench press and 190 for 3 sets of 10 in close grip bench.

Do you have a specific number of reps in mind before you go for the cert?

I would like to close my #3 that is around 155-157 for a couple singles for a few consecutive workouts. I will be attempting that 3 once I can triple the one you made me which I hope to do this weekend.

My arm finally healed back to normal a few days ago so I will get back to closing those grippers! What was the lbs of the one you let me barrow, I forgot and I am making a chart to keep better track of things.

It is an FBBC smooth handled 3x. Not sure on the lbs maybe 120 would be my guess.

Ok, cool. I remembered the other ratings but could not think of that one. As you know, my memory sucks! I am finding it is just what I needed. Thanks.

5/25

Weekend in New York. Lots of walking and sightseeing, not much time for grip.

CCS grippers

2.5x20 singles

David Horne thumb screwsx200 on GNC 50