Log: Getting As Strong As When I Was 25 By The Time I'm 40

Royz

5 hours ago, Royz said:

Tnx dude pressing going better than expected at the moment.

Sounds like your describing bulgarian split squats. Never tried those, might be too hard on my knees though. Since last week I've added step ups which have been usefull to me in the past.

Yeah...you definitely got to pick an exercise that feels good. Everybody differs. I need to be realistic here, can't persue several goals. So grip needs to be 1, the rest is complimentary. Keeps training fun, as it should be. At least, for me. Btw, I've added some running twice per week on the 'off days'. I feel a bit more energetic. My work life is pretty sedentary so a little bit of cardio stuff is a nice addition for me. 

• Like 1

Training august 22nd

DO deadlift 531, cycle3, week 2
Last set 7x180kg

DO barbell hold
180kgx41sec.

Overhead press strict 531, cycle3, week 2
Last set 8x67,5kg
Right shoulder bothering me a bit. Have been neglecting the rear delt work the last two weeks, that might be the cause.

Dumbbell lift with fatgripz
Last set 6x65kg

For assistance: Weighted dips, romanian deadlift, inverted rows, rear delt, reverse barbell curls.

Training august 25th

Squats 531, cycle 3, week 2
Last sets 5x152,5kg/ 4x152,5kg

Bench press 531, cycle 3, week 2
Last set 10x107,5 kg

2HP, 54mm pinchblock
Last set 10x75kg

For assistance: Barbell step ups, Dumbbell floor press, Dumbbell rows, pron/sup levering, Fat wrist curls and some abs.

Forgot to bring my grippers to the gym. Stupid! Tried to do a gripper session at home last saturday, but that didn't work out very well. Just don't seem to get my CNS fired up at home.

Training august 30th

DO deadlift 531, cycle 3, week 3
Last sets 3x190kg/ 3x192,5kg

DO barbell hold
190kg x30sec.

Overhead press strict 531, cycle 3, week 3
Last set 7x70kg
Right shoulder seems to be aggravating again. Last set was good though.

Dumbbell lift with Fatgripzzz
Last sets 4x68,5kg/ 3x70kg (both left only)
Left hand strangely was much stronger than my right today. Only managed 1 rep with right hand. Still the most weight I've ever lifted with this set up!

For assistance: Dumbbell rows, Fat wrist curls, hammer curls, ab medley.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RTvG said:

Going for the full inch? :bow

Well still 8kg to go, so probably not gonna make it before Dutch strongest hands, but that is the goal yes. Also not sure how much harder/easier Marks set up is.

• Like 1

Awesome,  this will be an exciting event,   you vs.  Grind's strong guys!

6 minutes ago, RTvG said:

Awesome,  this will be an exciting event,   you vs.  Grind's strong guys!

Don't count yourself and Geralt out. One of you will certainly win the grippers for starters. And Teun Moors will win everything else... :turn

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RTvG said:

Wrist stuff is mine,   the rest...  dunno

Yep didn't think of that one, lucky for us that's only one event.:cool

• Like 1

Really excited what the inch deadlift will bring on the comp. Will someone lift the inch weight? 

There is another guy who will attend the comp who was at my place last sunday and was surprisingly strong at the floor rotation. He also bends some steel. Will be cool to see if he can give Bob a run for his money. :D

• Like 1

The experience and strength levels will vary bigtime, I see it as a fun challenge to see how I would measure up against a guy like Teun, I have no illusion that this man will not outlift everybody. Grippers I am really not on topstrength, seems like the harder I train, the more I plateau. So my training now consists of training what movement tests best and stick to that with that movement. All in all a lot of different guys in the line up. Not the best moment probably but I lost 7kg from my vacation till now, can't say it cost me strength but I feel a bit more 'lean'. Picked up some running etc. 

Roy you have good progress on the thickhandle! 

• Like 1

Sorry for the topic hijack Roy.

You underestimate yourself. I don't expect Teun to ben in the top 5 with grippers. He admitted that he has little experience with grip tools. I'm sure that you and Bob will be in the top 3 for this event. The other events will be difficult to predict. The medley will be in the favor for the gripguys I think. The wrist event will also be in favor for the gripguys. 
Bob did great with the farmer holds so I think it's an event that can work for you to. 

You don't have to win every event to win the contest. ;)

• Like 1

Training september 5th

DO deadlift
Last set 8x175kg
Bit light in the head after being to a popfestival the whole weekend...

DO barbell hold
175kg x43sec.

Overhead press
Last set 10x67,5kg

Dumbbell lift with fatgripz
Don't know what was going on today, but I could hardly even lift my warm up weights.

For assistance: Weighted dips, Inverted rows, Floor rotations, fat wrist curls

Training september 9th

Squats
Last sets 6x150kg/ 4x155kg
I think my squat training so far has been lacking two important ingredients: more agression and bigger balls. Going to add those from now on.

Bench press
Last set 13x105kg
Still going very well.

Grippers 1.5"blockset
25xghp4 (right)

2HP
Totally crap, could hardly lift weights I've been able to do for months now. I think my hands need a rest. Next week will be a deload week for grip.

For assistance: dumbbell floor press, Anderson squats, dumbbell rows, rear delt, wrist curls.

Sounds like you lost some strength at the popfestival lol. Things like that can really tear you down. Also, I think to rehab those injuries you may want to consider doing lower weight, higher rep exercises before going heavy.  There's a saying: "The wider the base, the higher the peak." The biggest my legs have ever been was when I was riding my bike a lot, and up hills. I got way better results from that than I did from squats, and it was easier, almost therapeutic, on my knees.

Edited by mgalovic
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mgalovic said:

Sounds like you lost some strength at the popfestival lol. Things like that can really tear you down. Also, I think to rehab those injuries you may want to consider doing lower weight, higher rep exercises before going heavy.  There's a saying: "The wider the base, the higher the peak." The biggest my legs have ever been was when I was riding my bike a lot, and up hills. I got way better results from that than I did from squats, and it was easier on my knees.

image.png

• Like 1

I'm not sure if you've ever heard of The Great Gama, but he is widely considered the best wrestler of all time. I read somewhere he used to do something like a thousand Hindu squats and Hindu push-ups a day. I probably wouldn't recommended that kind of volume, but think that kind of cardio- respiratory exercise would promote revitalizing blood flow. Swimming might be good to rehab your shoulder, and rotator cuff. I rehabbed my right shoulder by laying on my back on the floor. Then, slowly and carefully taking it through the range of motion that hurt while providing assistance to it by using my other arm to take some weight off of it, and reduce discomfort. I know it kind of sucks doing that stuff, because you'd rather be lifting heavy weights and getting stronger. But, if that just results in breaking your body down, being in pain, and not being able to even perform everyday tasks, what good is it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mgalovic said:

I'm not sure if you've ever heard of The Great Gama, but he is widely considered the best wrestler of all time. I read somewhere he used to do something like a thousand Hindu squats and Hindu push-ups a day. I probably wouldn't recommended that kind of volume, but think that kind of cardio- respiratory exercise would promote revitalizing blood flow. Swimming might be good to rehab your shoulder, and rotator cuff. I rehabbed my right shoulder by laying on my back on the floor. Then, slowly and carefully taking it through the range of motion that hurt while providing assistance to it by using my other arm to take some weight off of it, and reduce discomfort. I know it kind of sucks doing that stuff, because you'd rather be lifting heavy weights and getting stronger. But, if that just results in breaking your body down, being in pain, and not being able to even perform everyday tasks, what good is it?

Tnx man. My knees actually feel pretty good at the moment. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to squat 150kg without pain.:cool

On 9/9/2016 at 0:14 PM, Royz said:

Tnx man. My knees actually feel pretty good at the moment. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to squat 150kg without pain.:cool

Not bad. You're less wrecked than I thought :D

No doubt he squats too, but I bet he owes his legs primarily to cycling. Just having experienced it myself, the pump you get from cycling up hills is insane. It's important to point out I was eating a lot of carbs.

Training september 12th

Very low energy. I'm not sleeping well because it's so hot over here (relatively).

Do deadlift 531
Last set 3x185kg
Just did my required reps and called it a day.

Overhead press 531
Last set 8x70kg

NO GRIP THIS WEEK.

For assistance: rack pulls, overhead pin press, inverted rows, rear delt, abs.