Forearm Muscle Pain

Billy Jack

I need some opinions on some recent pain I have been having in my left forearm. It is on top of my forearm closer to my elbow. It appears to be in the area of the Anconeus muscle or somewhere on the Extensor Carpi Radialis. Hard to break it down to any of those two though because it hurts in that area for about a 6-8 inch stretch along the top of my forearm. Only on my left arm.

I just woke up one morning about three weeks ago and it was hurting. Some days it hurts with no movement at all and other times it only hurts when I try to pinch or grasp something. Some days it barely hurts and others it hurts so bad I can barely grasp anyhting over 10lbs in my left hand. I have always done extensor work with rubberbands so I am not sure if this is the problem or not. It does not hurt when I do extensor work currently. Like I said, mainly in pinching and grasping. Does not hurt at all when doing grippers. I have given it about two weeks of almost complete rest and still no help. This is killing all my two hand lifts and is really annoying. Any ideas and possible rehab would be greatly appreciated.

Armaid. Or a visit to a massage therapist would be a good place to start.

Thank you Mr. Rice for the info. I am aware that these options exist, but was hoping that someone out there had some other possible stretches, excercises, etc I could try before moving to that step that you mentioned.

Thank you Mr. Rice for the info. I am aware that these options exist, but was hoping that someone out there had some other possible stretches, excercises, etc I could try before moving to that step that you mentioned.

This may sound counter-intuitive, but if you've got a fat bar / axle / fat gripz you may want to try progressively loading those for rehab. Start low with an exercise and always keep it under your pain threshold. Progressively (SLOWLY) adding weight will get you back up to where you want to be strength wise, while also giving a good amount of blood flow to the area.

Don't go crazy though, pinch related injuries are gnarly (I've had friends explode their wrist... wtf?)