Heavy Grips

Cannon

CPW will be carrying Heavy Grips in the very near future! I have always been a fan of the Heavy Grips line and I can honestly say my set of HGs has been instrumental in my gripper training. My HG150, filed HG200 and narrow HG300 are among the grippers I've used the MOST in my 7 years of training. Those HG grippers and Clay Edgin's program on the Heavy Grips website got me past closing #2 level grippers and well into #2.5/SM range. I'm really excited about this line for a number of reasons:

• Price point: For people getting into the sport or just wanting to try out a few grippers, the price and value of Heavy Grips is impossible to beat. Individual grippers will likely be <$15 and closer to $10 each if you buy bundles.
  • Value: Heavy Grips will catch some heat from gripper aficionados for being "inconsistent". I've always felt like "who cares?" There is no doubt that you can get valuable resistence exercise from them. If you are really worried about the exact strength, well, CPW can offer the added value of Rating Service.
  • Warranty: Heavy Grips backs their product. The grippers have a lifetime warranty which I have used. I had a HG300 which I was (stubbornly) not satisfied with. It seasoned to a narrow spread and was not significantly different than my HG250, and possibly easier. The gripper was still totally useable. They let me keep it and sent me a new HG300. It was excellent service.
  • High Utility: Let me explain what I mean here.. Filing grippers for BTR training, in my opinion, is probably among the best ways to get stronger on grippers. Let's say you just closed your GHP5 and need a new challenge. Do you file it down? Somehow that seems like a crime.... But if you have an HG250 around, well, that boy is begging to be filed. It's ready for duty. You can make it what you need it to be and not give it a second thought. Put a choker on there--bust the handles loose and reglue to a harder mounting--literally cut the handles shorter--sand the knurling off for very high reps training--anything. This is what I mean by "high utility." Heavy Grips offers high utility with piece of mind.

I hope you're as excited about this as I am. Honestly, I have no explanation as to why we have not carried these sooner!

• Like 2

I've always had a soft spot for heavy grips, the day I closed my 250 was a good one and the 300 was an even better day. I will be interested in an average on the 350 as I have two and they seem about 20lbs apart!

• Like 1

Matt, I've never owned heavy grips before, but I've heard they get weaker over time, unlike other gripper ie CoCs,ghp, tetting. Is this true and if so, will rating these be a good idea if they're likely to weaken soon after purchase?

• Like 1

Matt, I've never owned heavy grips before, but I've heard they get weaker over time, unlike other gripper ie CoCs,ghp, tetting. Is this true and if so, will rating these be a good idea if they're likely to weaken soon after purchase?

I would argue that all grippers get weaker over time. I don't know that Heavy Grips continue to do so at any different rate than other grippers.

What I HAVE seen on Heavy Grips is they can get easier immediately within the first few closes. I think that "defective" HG300 that I called the company about lost almost 1" on the spread the first time I closed it. It was forever after easier, but has been the same ever since. In other words, there was not some unique, continued weakening. Even this seems like an oddball thing that happened on 1 of the 7 Heavy Grips I have owned and used. AND, remember that "defective" HG300 has turned out to be one of the grippers I have used more than any other in my collection. It definitely has thousands of reps.

Our rating process protects against this because we put on the initial 30+ reps. The rating you get should hold for a while. But any gripper from any brand should be rerated after extensive use or neglected upkeep. The number will likely have moved.

• Like 1

Also there is a point to be reiterated here about the "high utility". Buying Heavy Grips to get them rated and put on a contest table might not be the "highest and best use." I have consistently used and abused my HGs for years to raise my base level of strength and then set PRs on other grippers in my collection. At one point though, I distinctly remember that my HG250 was my goal gripper and finally shutting it meant as much to me as any other PR that I moved through as I got stronger.

I think it's good you'll be carrying the Heavy Grips. Like you said, the price is hard to beat. Travis Mickelberry and I both had several HG300s that helped me on my way to the #3 cert. Their ratings and spreads are super variable. Which is not a bad thing. I had an HG300 that was 1.9" spread (not foot stomped or modified in any way) and the RGC rating was 133lbs. The opposite of that was an HG300 (I think it was Travis's gripper) that RGC rated at 174lbs. It was almost 3" spread.

• Like 1

I've had some with the spring painted together, significantly easier once that was fixed.

I've had some heavy grips in the past and am no fan of this brand. They feel cheap and not so stable in the hand as a CoC does. They are a lot cheaper that's the only pros I can think of.

I have read that indeed they get weak in a short time but also over time they tend to get weaker. It's hard to say if you are getting stronger or the HG is getting weaker.

I did not have a ratings-device at that time so can't personally confirm if this is true. I lost my HG's and can't say I'm sorry.

Also there is a point to be reiterated here about the "high utility". Buying Heavy Grips to get them rated and put on a contest table might not be the "highest and best use." I have consistently used and abused my HGs for years to raise my base level of strength and then set PRs on other grippers in my collection. At one point though, I distinctly remember that my HG250 was my goal gripper and finally shutting it meant as much to me as any other PR that I moved through as I got stronger.

That makes sense, and for <$15 that's hard to beat.
  • Like 1

I would argue that all grippers get weaker over time.

Absolutely. It's a physical fact.

The only way a torsion spring isn't going to get weaker over time is lack of use. I don't care whose name is stamped on it.

• Like 2

I have heavygrips but I won't buy new one's. Heck I have over 3k one's in our sports shop and I only took one for myself.

I've had some heavy grips in the past and am no fan of this brand. They feel cheap and not so stable in the hand as a CoC does. They are a lot cheaper that's the only pros I can think of.

I have read that indeed they get weak in a short time but also over time they tend to get weaker. It's hard to say if you are getting stronger or the HG is getting weaker.

I did not have a ratings-device at that time so can't personally confirm if this is true. I lost my HG's and can't say I'm sorry.

Sounds like you're not the target market :)

I think it's good you'll be carrying the Heavy Grips. Like you said, the price is hard to beat. Travis Mickelberry and I both had several HG300s that helped me on my way to the #3 cert. Their ratings and spreads are super variable. Which is not a bad thing. I had an HG300 that was 1.9" spread (not foot stomped or modified in any way) and the RGC rating was 133lbs. The opposite of that was an HG300 (I think it was Travis's gripper) that RGC rated at 174lbs. It was almost 3" spread.

This is a really good point. Other brands are not really immune to this either. Tettings and RBs vary just as much yet somehow don't catch the same kind of flack. I have rated a Tetting Elite at 140 and 190 and literally every number between. I've never seen an example of HGs varying that much, but the Tetting outliers are exciting and desireable while HG outliers are an example of poor quality control. The price point and warranty are important to remember in this equation. Heavy Grips is like the Hyundai of grippers.

I'm not necessarily trying to change anyone's mind if you've written off these grippers. Mostly I'm trying to convey my excitement because they've been so useful to me as a "behind-the-scenes" workhorse. And I believe they are great for guys getting into the sport where you don't know exactly what you need and just need to get up and running.

• Like 2

Tettings and RBs vary just as much yet somehow don't catch the same kind of flack. I have rated a Tetting Elite at 140 and 190 and literally every number between. I've never seen an example of HGs varying that much, but the Tetting outliers are exciting and desireable while HG outliers are an example of poor quality control.

It's really good to see that this is your opinion on the matter.

I first noticed it in the context of people hating on Captains of Crush grippers, mainly for variability but also knurling. I may be a tad biased because COCs are by far my favorite brand of gripper, but I've found Tettings to be of surprisingly poor quality out of the "big 3" (COC, GHP, Tetting). Mismatched mounts, sloppy stamping, misstamping, etc. Not the kind of thing you see with COCs or GHPs.

That's not to mention wild variability, +/- 25lbs in some cases.

There are a few exceptions. The Mash Monster replicas I've owned have been of higher quality than the regular BB/Tettings. But that obviously comes with a price.

I personally think it's nostalgia. Or maybe a yearning for authenticity. You see that with any subculture no matter how obscure. Tetting is superior to HG. [edited to save space] York plates are superior to Fitness Gear. And on and on.

Matt you said it best in a Silvis thread, and I'm paraphrasing: programming, not equipment.

Sounds like you're not the target market :)

No disrespect to you or CPW. I really like the products CPW offers. GHP and Tetting grippers are superb quality. These brands aren't available in Europe so I was glad I could buy them at CPW.

I'm also very pleased about the service. In the near future I will probably place a new order.

I understand that the HG grippers are a good addition to the stock. For the customer there is more to choose from. HG's are a lot cheaper and can be great for a beginner who wishes to begin training cheap and later on will buy an IM #2 #2.5 or #3.

• Like 1

Did someone just say:

"RB adjustable is superior to the Vulcan."

I thought the RB was the copycat product.

So what was that statement on authenticity?

Did someone just say:

Yeah I mixed them up syntactically. RB vs.Vulcan wasn't my point at all though.

My point was that in any hobby or subculture you find people who value the material over the method--for example, I've been an on and off musician for years. So of course you have your gearheads. Tube amps only, vintage effects, vintage guitars. Everything analog. But my philosophy was always if you really love music and you just want to play, you can make any guitar and amp combination sound great. And I did.

Not that I don't have some nice gear. I do. 2 Fenders and a Martin. But I've also wailed just the same on my brother's $100 starter electric guitar and battery powered practice amp. On the same token, there are some nice grippers out there. But you're gonna get just as strong on a Heavy Grips as any boutique gripper.

I've never owned any Heavy Grips, but based on the description I think it's great that Matt is carrying them.

Did someone just say:

I edited jmatney's post to avoid confusion since he clarified that's not what he meant. I'd like to preserve the intent of this thread.

I think jmatney's clarification is good. Just the simple point that HGs will get the job done :)

• Like 1

I totally agree that the heavy grips are useful in a different way than the pricier grippers. Grabbing a set will get you that cheaper price. having a second set of grippers in a different spot, filing without a huge loss of value, different feel, and different spreads are all pluses if you chose to look at it that way.

• Like 2

Pre-rate some to kick things off, maybe list the spread too. Get around the uncertainties in the reputation and they will sell.

Pre-rate some to kick things off, maybe list the spread too. Get around the uncertainties in the reputation and they will sell.

I have to agree with this idea. Best of luck with these, Matt.

• 2 weeks later...

I like my Heavy Grips a LOT. 6 for $60, 100-350, and my grip strength has improved dramatically in the three and a half weeks that I have been training with them. I have seen a boodle of people nay-saying Heavy Grips, but I say screw that noise! I haven't held or owned any of the other brands of hard-core grippers, so I only have my experience with the HG gear to go on, but ALL of my workouts have improved due to these well-priced beauties, and I owe my love of grip training to Heavy Grips. Heavy Grips: Hard-core grip training for the everyman.

Got the HG150 and HG200 and closed them both on my 14th birthday but took me the next 3years to close the HG300 and then closed the #3 just after my 18th birthday. Heavy grips work for sure, the HG300 is my favourite

• Like 1

Got the HG150 and HG200 and closed them both on my 14th birthday but took me the next 3years to close the HG300 and then closed the #3 just after my 18th birthday. Heavy grips work for sure, the HG300 is my favourite

Josh, I am really hating my HG300 right now. I won't lie! This thing is BEAST. When I first got the HG grippers, I could not close the 200, but I closed the 100 and 150. Now, 4 weeks later, I can close the 200 and the 250, but that 300 just laughs at me. I will close it, though. Congratulations on slamming the HG300 and the CoC3! That is huge, man.

• Like 1