WD2 black, few closes lvl 9 LHL, few closes lvl 12 RHL

Today

Sq
107.5kg x20reps

Be
77.5kg 6x 2 reps

Sq
112.5kg x19 :angry2:

What can I say? End of my 2wk break from work, long day of work again today, school stuff from the kids in the evening, then squats. ^%#&^#
Revenge with this weight on saturday, preferably in the morning. 

Sq

112.5kg x 20 reps
120 x 1, 1 second pause at bottom
130 x 1, 1 second pause at bottom
140 x 1, 1 second pause at bottom
150 x 0, stayed at bottom after paused set....  :laugh 

Be 

77.5kg 6x 2 reps

abrolls

Sq

115kg
 x10 Then the kids came and focus slipped, so continued like this:
 x5
 x5
 x5
 x10
 x5
 x5
 x5

Hey Bob,

do you include any kind of rowing/pulling in Your training? If not you should. It Will give your upper body more balance and your shoulders will thank you for that in the long run.

• Like 1

Roy,

I do them occasionally after benching. You do have a good point there. Im going to incorporate them more.

1 hour ago, Royz said:

Hey Bob,

do you include any kind of rowing/pulling in Your training? If not you should. It Will give your upper body more balance and your shoulders will thank you for that in the long run.

Be
90kg 3 sets of 3 reps (scheduled), 
 went so easily so did 3 sets of 3 more.

Plate rows (25kg pl) 3 sets of 5 and 2 sets of 10 each arm in between benchwork
Bent over barbell rows narrow and wide grip, few sets of 10 each after

Sq
115kg x16, very short break, x4
 x1 atg paused

Next Sq will be saturday. Hope with the extra few days of rest, Ill make the #20.

Be

wide grip

80kg x2 for 6 sets

Bent over barbell rows to 70kg x 10

That's lots of squats Bob! I have incorporated more hamstring work now to balance the legs out, next to squats. 20 reps is tough! I have done that but probably didn't eat well enough. Strengthgains also weren't very big, I have the feeling I am getting more now from Wendler. Good to see you training again. 

• Like 1

may 26th
Be 
95kg 2x 2reps

may 27th
Be
77.5kg 6x 2reps

may 28th
Sq
115kg x 18reps

may 29th
Be 100kg x1 easily PR!
Sq 100kg x10 reps

So, Ill continue this bench program, and I won't log rows and other stuff, but they are done also after bench sessions
Squats, the 20reps with 115kg prove a nice obstacle to me. I can do it, on a day without distractions. Tuesday last attempt, if failed, then Ill continue squats in a 531 scheme, and after some time Ill attack the 115kg and more for 20 reps again.
 Also, need to get back to gripstuff.. mm2 is waiting to get slammed shut :blink 

• Like 1

addendum

Reflecting about squats during the day, -they just keep bugging me-, I decided to skip the 20reps for now, also postpone 531 for another while and start a squatroutine like my benching last weeks. This program lead to an easy 100kg "programmed" 1rm PR.

For squats, starting from 115kg, it should lead to a 1rm of 150kg, and that happens to be a lift I committed myself to on a Dutch strengthwebsite moderated by @Grind

Sq

115kg 6x 2 reps atg

Sq
120kg 6x 3reps atg

Be
80kg 6x 3 reps paused

Platerows
landmine lateral raise barbell x10 and +5kg x10 both arms

Ill keep to the plan, but also will keep weights a little variable with 115 for squat and 80 for bench as a base, and a tad more if I feel like it.

Sq
120kg 6x 2reps, ATG paused (2 to max. 5 sec)

Be
80kg 6x 2reps paused (1-2sec)

barbell rows, landmine lat. raises

On 29 mei 2016 at 3:17 PM, RTvG said:

addendum

Reflecting about squats during the day, -they just keep bugging me-, I decided to skip the 20reps for now, also postpone 531 for another while and start a squatroutine like my benching last weeks. This program lead to an easy 100kg "programmed" 1rm PR.

For squats, starting from 115kg, it should lead to a 1rm of 150kg, and that happens to be a lift I committed myself to on a Dutch strengthwebsite moderated by @Grind

Sq

115kg 6x 2 reps atg

I'm really no fan of 531, did it a few year back when it was a hype. Lots of athletes on the dutch board are abandoning the program. 
Your squat is 140kg so the step towards the 150kg is not that steep. Have you ever considered a specialized squat program? I think it can boost you past the 150kg.

• Like 1

The squat and also bench program Im doing now is based on the russian squat program, something I found on the www. 

I think it can get me beyond 150kg. The thing I had with the 531, I did it for almost a year, was the low volume low frequency for squats. For deads I found it adequate, if not taxing, but as you noticed before, I left the deads behind for now because of the strains it gave me in my lower back. Probably because of inadequate form, something to work on, later. 

For now,  and also due to personal stuff, the combination of squats and bench fit me really well. 

Based on the russian routine, what would you add or do differently to break that 150 goal?

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grind said:

I'm really no fan of 531, did it a few year back when it was a hype. Lots of athletes on the dutch board are abandoning the program. 
Your squat is 140kg so the step towards the 150kg is not that steep. Have you ever considered a specialized squat program? I think it can boost you past the 150kg.

5/3/1 has it's place. I used it until I go too strong to do things on my own. May not be for everyone. Wendler still uses it, and to the best of my knowledge and thats a strong mofo

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RTvG said:

The squat and also bench program Im doing now is based on the russian squat program, something I found on the www. 

I think it can get me beyond 150kg. The thing I had with the 531, I did it for almost a year, was the low volume low frequency for squats. For deads I found it adequate, if not taxing, but as you noticed before, I left the deads behind for now because of the strains it gave me in my lower back. Probably because of inadequate form, something to work on, later. 

For now,  and also due to personal stuff, the combination of squats and bench fit me really well. 

Based on the russian routine, what would you add or do differently to break that 150 goal?

Thanks!

I don't understand what you where doing. It says 115kgx20. Is this one set of 20 reps? Because now you are doing 6 sets of 115kgx2. Doing two reps with 115kg is way to easy if last week you did 20 reps with the same weight in one set. Can you clear this up for me?

6 hours ago, KapMan said:

5/3/1 has it's place. I used it until I go too strong to do things on my own. May not be for everyone. Wendler still uses it, and to the best of my knowledge and thats a strong mofo

It can have it's purpose but imo it's a program for the elite lifter who has a hard time making gains. Besides that there are tons of other programs that are build so much smarter than 531. 

1 hour ago, Grind said:

I don't understand what you where doing. It says 115kgx20. Is this one set of 20 reps? Because now you are doing 6 sets of 115kgx2. Doing two reps with 115kg is way to easy if last week you did 20 reps with the same weight in one set. Can you clear this up for me?

It can have it's purpose but imo it's a program for the elite lifter who has a hard time making gains. Besides that there are tons of other programs that are build so much smarter than 531. 

Last month I did 20reps program for squats, meaning, starting at a low weight (85kg in my case), make 20 reps, and add weight every other session. I decided to go for a daily session with 2.5kg added each time. Later 1 or more days in between, untill I reached 115kg. With that weight I managed 18 reps.This is just a brutal but fun session. Quick and dirty, I like it like that.

During this, I did another program for bench. Basically six weeks, 3 days per week. 6 x 2reps with a lower weight for recovery, working up to 1 x 1 maximum weight at 105% of former 1RM. This program, is what I started now too for squats. This " russian squat program" consists of 6 wks with 3 days per week squats, or bench or whatever lift used. But, since planning is very difficult due work and stuff, I use every spare moment as a training day, that is sometimes daily, sometimes once or twice a week.

2 hours ago, Grind said:

I disagree, 531's base is actually universal to anyone. I started 531 new, and out grew it solo. With a partner it would of been a great program to go with in the long term.

I do agree their are great programs out there. My strength theory program is one of them.

2 hours ago, RTvG said:

Last month I did 20reps program for squats, meaning, starting at a low weight (85kg in my case), make 20 reps, and add weight every other session. I decided to go for a daily session with 2.5kg added each time. Later 1 or more days in between, untill I reached 115kg. With that weight I managed 18 reps.This is just a brutal but fun session. Quick and dirty, I like it like that.

During this, I did another program for bench. Basically six weeks, 3 days per week. 6 x 2reps with a lower weight for recovery, working up to 1 x 1 maximum weight at 105% of former 1RM. This program, is what I started now too for squats. This " russian squat program" consists of 6 wks with 3 days per week squats, or bench or whatever lift used. But, since planning is very difficult due work and stuff, I use every spare moment as a training day, that is sometimes daily, sometimes once or twice a week.

Ok but why are you now squatting only doubles with the same weight? I think you should crank up the intensity because the 20 rep squats are high volume and low intensity. Start working with weights that will demand max effort. I'm a big fan of smolov which cycles both volume and intensity in a short span of time. 

56 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I disagree, 531's base is actually universal to anyone. I started 531 new, and out grew it solo. With a partner it would of been a great program to go with in the long term.

I do agree their are great programs out there. My strength theory program is one of them.

It's a very slow program. The program starts by deloading the weigths which mean it would take about 6 months before you really are making gains. Great for an athlete who stalled for years to start making gains but for a novice you can make gains in a far shorter periode. If you read the 531 introduction Wendler himself tells that he designed this program for athletes that aren't making gains for years. I think it misses both volume and intensity which are elements a novice needs to progress efficiently. 

• Like 2