weight classes and see who is what class and if some

are gaining or loosing for a different class. As for me im

around 195 so i am kinda in the middle of 83kg and 93kg

I will proble stick with 83kg but try to put on 5 more pounds

will see though im a hard gainer and it took my hole life to hit

197. So maybe this will push me. Anyhow i wanna learn everything

i can about this comp. And how things work so feel free to discuss

things here. Good day grippsters=]

Im 70kg at the moment, no really sure what weight classes are around this weight but I can lose 4kg or gain 4kg. Are you stronger when you are lighter or slightly heavier?

I can say in grip every pound i gain helps.

When i first started grip i was fresh out of

the police academy and a very lean 180lbs from running

every single day. I was very explosive i got the fastest

mile and a half of all the cadets it was like 9:30sec.

But i was not near as powerfull till i started gaining

Weight here in the guard shack all i did was eat pushups

Eat pushups, so i was lifting all weekened at work then

lifting on my days off and the running stopped but i hike

alot now. But if i recall when i first closed my 3 i had gained

10 lbs out of the academy so i was at 190. But when i ccs the 3

I was up to 197. So weight helps my strengh not so much my

endurance for hiking i still do good but feel bogged down. I think

it also depends if its healthy muscle weight gain or guard shack

Greasy deepfryed eatin lol. But i am eating very lean lately

lots of fish ,veggies ,nuts, chicken, fruits protein shakes with lots

of peanut butter. So will see long as its healthy weight gain i think

i would do good at 205lbs in the 93kg.

Josh, you will be 93 unless you go over 205. The class is everyone from over 83 to up to 93.

Glad i made this thread.. lol, Thanks buddy. So from 184lbs to 205lbs is 93kg correct?

Yep, I'm 196 but the goal is to get to 203, need 7lbs of lean muscle in in 6 weeks. Been sick with a nasty cough so I hope I dont lose too much muscle. I'm definitely competing within the 93 class tho

Yep, I'm 196 but the goal is to get to 203, need 7lbs of lean muscle in in 6 weeks. Been sick with a nasty cough so I hope I dont lose too much muscle. I'm definitely competing within the 93 class tho

Same here, This bronchitis has suppresed my appitite. But i think they got me on the right meds

I hope to hit 200 atleast. I would have a hard time gettin down to 183 screw that.

• Like 1

Im 70kg at the moment, no really sure what weight classes are around this weight but I can lose 4kg or gain 4kg. Are you stronger when you are lighter or slightly heavier?

If you think you can lose 4kgs and maintain your strength. Go for the 66k.

I'll be in the 59k and would like somebody near my weight class to have as a rival. :)

Since your only 10lbs away keep in mind that you could try to cut water weight for the weigh in and replenish yourself. I know its a lot harder to do it on the day of compared to fighters who do around that and more when they have a whole day to recover. I think you could put up higher numbers-relative to the weight class- and place higher at the 83kg class but then again if your goal is just to put up the best numbers possible and your not worried about record or placement as much I wouldn't cut the weight. Look at what eric did last year at nationals cutting all the weight he did and he ended up having probably the best performance of the contest in my opinion.

• Like 1

With my new job i will loose weight

i just got out of my security job were you

sit all day. The hardware store will make me

cut weight weight so i may try it.

It's good to be on the heavy side of a lower weight class. I would lose the weight not gain.

Since this thread is here I will chime in. I am not a fan, overall, of cutting and manipulating weight to drop into a weight class. Long term its very unhealthy for the system to bounce around. Like Stephan says its legal to drop water weight and slide in to the category and then balloon back up, but what's the point? Perhaps this male body dysmoprhia. Maybe I am just unhappy I'm fat, but personally I am more concerned with being strong and what I see in the mirror than what a scale says. Olympic lifters will change classes from time to time, but then they stay in that class and they really only do it if there's a good reason and their coach believes they will be far more competitive in the category.

Josh hasn't even gone to a comp yet and he will be competitive in whatever class he enters so what's the point in him trying to drop 10#?

Since this thread is here I will chime in. I am not a fan, overall, of cutting and manipulating weight to drop into a weight class. Long term its very unhealthy for the system to bounce around. Like Stephan says its legal to drop water weight and slide in to the category and then balloon back up, but what's the point? Perhaps this male body dysmoprhia. Maybe I am just unhappy I'm fat, but personally I am more concerned with being strong and what I see in the mirror than what a scale says. Olympic lifters will change classes from time to time, but then they stay in that class and they really only do it if there's a good reason and their coach believes they will be far more competitive in the category.Josh hasn't even gone to a comp yet and he will be competitive in whatever class he enters so what's the point in him trying to drop 10#?

I generally stay about the same im just gonna train and compete at my normal weight. Im not real concerned

about numbers as much as just having fun and meeting you guys.

• Like 1

A few things to consider.

If an athlete wants to have absolute strength, there is no reason to lose weight.

If another athlete wants to rank in the sport, they should gain our cut to whichever class will suit them best.

As grip continues to evolve, more people will manipulate weight to place higher, and the top 10s will be a lot more competitive.

In the long run, being overweight may be more unhealthy than occasionally losing 10 lbs.

And to top it off, oly lifters walk around well above their weight class, and will diet down and lose water to get exactly where they need to be. They're definitely the pros at doing this. Have you seen how many athletes weigh in at 1/10th of their limit?

Ya. I totally respect an athletes decision to compete as they see fit and everyone has different goals, but I feel like no one in this thread was actually listening to what Josh was saying. He has a hard time gaining weight, he wants to get heavier and stronger, and every # of BW matters to his strength, and he has the potential to be an elite athlete in whatever weight he is. Why would anyone advise him to drop then?

And yes, Oly athletes train over their comp weight, but not by a lot. They need every ounce of strength. Its not like Bodybuilders who can barely stand up they are so weak. They are more likely to be like Pat Mendes and make an overall shift.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

I honestly hate to loose since i worked so

hard to gain, Im gonna be starting my Nationals

training today. Lots of lean meat and protein

maybe i will even gain a few pounds from starting

back squats. Not something i have done alot im

a hacksquat deadlift guy but leg day taxes my grip

to much so back squats will be added.

I have sucked weight for competitions 3 times now, and it sucks. I hate it, I don't want to do it again.

Instead, I am aiming to eat ultra clean for the next 4 to 5 weeks so I re-set below 230, so I can make 231 easily.

I agree im eating lean and heathy and also throwing

in more cardio.

What to weigh is a big question for someone into strength sports and its not a decision to be made lightly. Getting bigger generally will translate into getting stronger but at some point its likely to start causing either short or long term health issues depending on what that "big" is comprised of, especially as you age. Gaining a few pounds of muscle is probably going to be a good thing, and losing a few pounds of fat is probably a good thing - but gaining massive amounts of weight is going to have consequences down the road in one way or another weather its muscle or fat tissue. Manipulating BW a few pounds quickly to make a weight class is no big deal - but a long term approach is going to be much healthier and easier to maintain.

• Like 1

I never really plan to go over 200

im pretty happy with 11% bf at 195 though.

I mailed in my entry fees last night for both the 83 and the 93k classes.

I weighed myself last night at 190, this new job

has me on my feet all day;)