Cube Method Vs 5/3/1

ultimatemk309

Just finished up a 10 week cycle of the cube method. I had the "mock meet" today and overaal pretty disapointed in the results. One the bright side I had a 30lb PR on deadlift, unfortunately I didnt make any progress on my other 2 lifts. I have been really wanting to try Beyond 5/3/1, but dont really want to bounce from program to program. Has any one else tried either of these methods with good results?

I did 5/3/1 for a while. It firmed up my belief that following anyone else's program for your body is a mistake.

Ive had good success with 5/3/1 it is very simple. over the last few years it has sort of become my standard baseline program. Never really looked into the cube method though.

• Like 1

I have used 5/3/1 as a guideline template in the past. I wasn't completely strict with it but instead adapted it a bit...I had about an 8% increase in my big three over the course of 8 to 10 months. I consider that successful.

I can't speak on the cube method because I haven't tried it before. However as Sharkey said using other peoples programs can be problematic because there are a lot of variables from one person to another...for the most part I have tried to avoid anything that seems complicated or has more than just a few lifts to concentrate on at a time.

The biggest problem I perceive in the popular bodybuilding and powerlifting programs is that the people that come up with them, test them, and eventually have success from them are not natural like most of us on this site are.

Lifting is a personal journey, and while people can point you in the right direction, you inevitably have to find your own path.

hope this helps man.

• Like 2

Thanks for the help guys. I mainly just used the percentages Lilly suggest to use for the big 3 then worked on my weaknesses with the acessory lifts. I am all natural also that is why I choose this method because it doesnt leave me feeling beat up every week.

If you're lookbg for a nice base program look at Jay Ashman's training book.

Wait, so there is a science behind this lifting thing? I just go as heavy as possible 3-5 reps then go down in weight. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

• Like 1

Wait, so there is a science behind this lifting thing? I just go as heavy as possible 3-5 reps then go down in weight. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

ive never even read up on any program. I go by how I feel that day. Over 1300 total and I don't take it serious at all. For some they may work fine but I'm kinda old school and do my own thing. Hell, I resisted using a mp3 in the gym until prob like 06-07. I was prob the last person to have a CD player in my pocket lol.
  • Like 1

I think it depends how naturally gifted you are. My good friend was able to attain a 300 lb bench press in 8th grade using the method you just mentioned...he is gifted.

I didn't reach 300 lbs until I was 19 and lifting for 3 years. Even then it took a lot of experimentation and the willingness to not listen to people who "look like" they know what they are talking about.

Just some thoughts

• Like 1

No one knows "you" as well as you do - or will if you pay attention. Read everything - question everything - everyone is "selling" something - keep that fact in mind. whoever you are getting advice from - find out about their history - are they (or the people they train) all screwed up (injured), are they all fat, do they have good competition results - or no competition results - heck are they a 15 year old internet "guru" your following? A power lifting program might really not be the way to go if you aren't interested in being a power lifter. List your goals - that's the BIG thing that's important to YOU. If squat, Bench, and DL are it, then fine. But if not there might be something out there that meets your personal requirements a lot better. I have come to believe over the years that no one (NO ONE) can coach you very well without actually being there to know where you are today and where you want to be tomorrow - and what you are actually doing in the gym. Oh sure if you're a total beginner but after that, educate yourself and then follow your own path. Almost everyone who says they are following a particular program - isn't. They change this and they change that - that's not the same thing. Learn, learn, learn yourself - not some other guy. One size fits all programs - well - aren't.......................

Edited by climber511
  • Like 4

No one knows "you" as well as you do - or will if you pay attention. Read everything - question everything - everyone is "selling" something - keep that fact in mind. whoever you are getting advice from - find out about their history - are they (or the people they train) all screwed up (injured), are they all fat, do they have good competition results - or no competition results - heck are they a 15 year old internet "guru" your following? A power lifting program might really not be the way to go if you aren't interested in being a power lifter. List your goals - that's the BIG thing that's important to YOU. If squat, Bench, and DL are it, then fine. But if not there might be something out there that meets your personal requirements a lot better. I have come to believe over the years that no one (NO ONE) can coach you very well without actually being there to know where you are today and where you want to be tomorrow - and what you are actually doing in the gym. Oh sure if you're a total beginner but after that, educate yourself and then follow your own path. Almost everyone who says they are following a particular program - isn't. They change this and they change that - that's not the same thing. Learn, learn, learn yourself - not some other guy. One size fits all programs - well - aren't.......................

This is actually the first time I have ever tried a someone elses program before. I have been lifting consistantly for 10 years, but I just got into powelifting recently. I research daily over lifting, dieting, etc. I have also taken several college level courses over kinesiology and exercise phisiology that was taught by a former powerlifter. I just thought I would get a good base started with a program then start to figure out what works for me.

Natural lifters have just to remember specificity,high intensity,and progressive overload.

Nutrition is crucial.Everything else is just bs.

You should just use russian routines.

I think both these programs have good core elements. Progressive overload and specificity as CANCRUSHER pointed out, but also a rotation of intensity. Take these elements and include them in your training. I liked both these programs though I only followed them loosely. 5/3/1 for powerlifting was what I liked best if I was to have to choose one.

Hell, I resisted using a mp3 in the gym until prob like 06-07.

What's a mp3?

• Like 1

What's a mp3?

Downloaded music from the internetz sir lol

My motto is if strength is the goal, lift heavy weights adding small amounts of volume until it isn't heavy any more then start all over with more weight. Also, take a rest week when needed, which for most is between every 3-10 weeks. Also staying in shape is never a bad idea.

People make this process out to be rocket science, when in truth, it couldn't get any simpler.

Edited by hellswindstaff

I've been using the original 531 for about 10 months.

My lifts have gone up about 25 lbs on average over this period. I think this is about the best that can be expected training naturally.

I've considered changing programs but so far have not and I think just plodding along is really the best. I find the 531 to be an enjoyable way to train and have stayed injury free so far.

531 is really just an application of Prilepins Table.

Edited by GettaGrip

Never done the cube method but I had good success with 5/3/1. I think I went through it for like 9 months somewhere in the 2010 - 2012 timeframe. I was skipping the accessory work specified though and using grip related stuff instead. My squat went from 315x1 -> 335x12 at the time. Never wanted to retest heavy single though due to instability in my back from long time injury. Axle DL with specific accessory work I came up with for thickbar jumped from 379# all time comp best to 385 x 6 in training and 410 x 1 in training, 400# in competition, Bench went from 255 untrained starting point to 375 in push pull meet from what I remember, and standing OHP went from 175 to 225. Most other grip lifts jumped for me too.

- Aaron

What's a mp3?

Downloaded music from the internetz sir lol

Oh. that Interweb thing again.