List?

oso

I'll make a list for you. :)

DIAMETER/LENGTH/TYPE

3/16 7" HOT ROLLED STEEL

3/16 6" HOT ROLLED STEEL

Etc working down to about 5"

3/16 7" COLD ROLLED STEEL

3/16 6" COLD ROLLED STEEL(IRONMIND WHITE)

3/16 5" COLD ROLLED STEEL(IRONMIND GREEN)

1/4 7" GRADE 2 BOLT

1/4 6" GRADE 2 BOLT

1/4 5" GRADE 2 BOLT

1/4 7" COLD ROLLED STEEL (IRONMIND YELLOW)

1/4 6.5" COLD ROLLED STEEL

1/4 6" COLD ROLLED STEEL(IRONMIND BLUE)

1/4 5.5 COLD ROLLED STEEL

1/4 5" COLD ROLLED STEEL

1/4 4.5" COLD ROLLED STEEL

1/4 6" 60 PENNY NAIL(ALOT OF VARIANCE IN THESE)

1/4 6" GRADE 5 BOLT

1/4 5.5" GRADE 5 BOLT

1/4 5" GRADE 5 BOLT

1/4 6" GRADE 8 BOLT

1/4 7" SQUARE COLD ROLLED STEEL

1/4 6.5" SQUARE COLD ROLLED STEEL

5/16 7" HOT ROLLED STEEL(HOME DEPOT)

5/16 7" COLD ROLLED STEEL (IRONMIND RED)

5/16 6.5" COLD ROLLED STEEL

5/16 6" COLD ROLLED STEEL

5/16 5.5" COLD ROLLED STEEL

5/16 5" COLD ROLLED STEEL

5/16 7" GRADE 5 BOLT

5/16 7" SQUARE FBBC

Please keep in mind all steel varies, and that the length of the nail can affect how you progress.

typically, cold rolled steel will have variance, and grade 2 bolts will have alot , grade 5 bolts not so much, and grade 8 very little if any.

If you have any questions just ask, thats what we're here for. ;)

Edited by Oldtime

DIAMETER/LENGTH/TYPE

3/16 7" HOT ROLLED STEEL

3/16 6" HOT ROLLED STEEL

Etc working down to about 5"

3/16 7" COLD ROLLED STEEL

3/16 6" COLD ROLLED STEEL(IRONMIND WHITE)

3/16 5" COLD ROLLED STEEL(IRONMIND GREEN)

1/4 7" GRADE 2 BOLT

1/4 6" GRADE 2 BOLT

1/4 5" GRADE 2 BOLT

1/4 7" COLD ROLLED STEEL (IRONMIND YELLOW)

1/4 6.5" COLD ROLLED STEEL

1/4 6" COLD ROLLED STEEL(IRONMIND BLUE)

1/4 5.5 COLD ROLLED STEEL

1/4 5" COLD ROLLED STEEL

1/4 4.5" COLD ROLLED STEEL

1/4  6" 60 PENNY NAIL(ALOT OF VARIANCE IN THESE)

1/4 6" GRADE 5 BOLT

1/4 5.5" GRADE 5 BOLT

1/4 5" GRADE 5 BOLT

1/4 6" GRADE 8 BOLT

5/16 6.5" COLD ROLLED STEEL

5/16 6" COLD ROLLED STEEL

5/16 5.5" COLD ROLLED STEEL

5/16 5" COLD ROLLED STEEL

5/16 7" GRADE 5 BOLT

5/16 7" SQUARE FBBC

Please keep in mind all steel varies, and that the length of the nail can affect how you progress.

typically, cold rolled steel will have variance, and grade 2 bolts will have alot , grade 5 bolts not so much, and grade 8 very little if any.

If you have any questions just ask, thats what we're here for. ;)

Awesome post Oldtime. I could add some more tweeners into this list if needed and maybe we could get it pinned.

:rock

i used the grade 2 bolts for carry over instead of HRS,from the transition from 3/16 to 1/4, i feel that the bigger a grade 2 bolt gets the more it varies. You can use either, in the same lengths, I really do not like using grade 2 bolts though, they have ALOT ov varience.

What ever you decide. :D

Note: if you can bend a 3/16 6" hrs nail, you can most likley do a 3/16 6" cold rolled steel nail also, this is just to show diffrent lengths and to widen your viarety of nails in terms of length to ensure success. :upsidedwn

Edited by Oldtime

I like that list, maybe a few other of the big benders could add their .2 to elaborate on it. Where would some 3/8 stuff, aluminum, and 1/4" HRS fit in there?

I like that list, maybe a few other of the big benders could add their .2 to elaborate on it. Where would some 3/8 stuff, aluminum, and 1/4" HRS fit in there?

I could of made it more complicated, with more steel in there, but i feel that what is in there is enough to progress.

DIAMETER/LENGTH/TYPE

1/4 6" GRADE 5 BOLT

1/4 5.5" GRADE 5 BOLT

1/4 5" GRADE 5 BOLT

1/4 6" GRADE 8 BOLT

[/quote}

Is there any other steel, bolts in this range without trimming down? My buddy has done G5s, hasnt tried a G8 yet though, I imagine he'll nail it. Seems like right in here there are few jumps other than trimming stuff.

Is there any other steel, bolts in this range without trimming down? My buddy has done G5s, hasnt tried a G8 yet though, I imagine he'll nail it. Seems like right in here there are few jumps other than trimming stuff.

Hmm..I imagine you might be able to find some 60d's harder then grade 5..but would be kind of hard to do so.

You dont always need to follow the steps to make gains, you can get big leaps in strength. However i feel it is best to bend in all lengths of steel..kind of keep your area of expertise a little wider.

Why is it you dont want to cut grade 5's shorter?

Edited by Oldtime

Awesome list, Oldy...inbetween the IM Green and a 6" Grade 2 (not sure about 7") are the Hot Galvanized 6" TT's available at Home Depot. Also a 6" piece of 3/16 square Home Depot CRS is about the same as a TT.

A 6" Grade 2 is also just a bit harder than a 5" cut down TT or a 5" piece of 3/16 square CRS.

I hope you're not as weak a bender as I am, but if you are just starting out, these "tweeners" may help you get up to Yellow level, and/or give you a cheap workout option since those HD TT's are cheap !

.. neilkaz ..

Awesome list, Oldy...inbetween the IM Green and a 6" Grade 2 (not sure about 7") are the Hot Galvanized 6" TT's available at Home Depot. Also a 6" piece of 3/16 square Home Depot CRS is about the same as a TT.

A 6" Grade 2 is also just a bit harder than a 5" cut down TT or a 5" piece of 3/16 square CRS.

I hope you're not as weak a bender as I am, but if you are just starting out, these "tweeners" may help you get up to Yellow level, and/or give you a cheap workout option since those HD TT's are cheap !

.. neilkaz ..

The reason i didnt include timber ties, and stuff like that, is they varie alot, and is very hard to gauge just how tough they are.

I feel that what is in the list is enough to progress, and keeps the gaps relitivley low in terms of strength differentials.

Edited by Oldtime

dude- maybe some 1/4'' hex @ 6'' i think would be between a g5 and g8

I think that hex stock is pretty much all kink, the crush is the same as round stock..

As i've said before, your strengths and weakness's(I.E weak kink strong crush,or vice versa) will determine how hard a particular peice of steel is to bend for you.

Edited by Oldtime

Hmm..I imagine you might be able to find some 60d's harder then grade 5..but would be kind of hard to do so.

You dont always need to follow the steps to make gains, you can get big leaps in strength. However i feel it is best to bend in all lengths of steel..kind of keep your area of expertise a little wider.

G5+G8s are expensive at the only place I've been able to locate them around here So I was hoping there was a home depot, or Metal Supermarkets alternative for cheaper.

Plus for some reason, for me, the difference in length will often times throw me off until I can adjust. 6" seems to be perfect length for me, whereas 7" is a little long and 5.5" or under is akward as well. I think its just because I never really cut anything down, always just stuck with the 6" length until I had the Red Nails.

G5+G8s are expensive at the only place I've been able to locate them around here So I was hoping there was a home depot, or Metal Supermarkets alternative for cheaper.

Plus for some reason, for me, the difference in length will often times throw me off until I can adjust. 6" seems to be perfect length for me, whereas 7" is a little long and 5.5" or under is akward as well. I think its just because I never really cut anything down, always just stuck with the 6" length until I had the Red Nails.

Look up fasteners in the phone book, and call some of the places.

You could buy about 20 grade 5's, and 20 grade 8's for about 15 bucks..Which would be more then enough to progress onto bigger and better stock. :)

Dont be afraid to cut them suckers up. :yikes

Edited by Oldtime

If you buy G8's and G5's by the box, (100 count), they will be much cheaper, I got mine for $30 a box, which is cheaper than buying 50 nails from ironmind, given the shipping up here.

It's very nice to have a hundred G8's at home, ready anytime.

If you want 'tweenies' get yourself means of cutting long sections into short ones. So if a 6" is easy and a 5.5" is hard cut .25" off a 6". Job done.

Awesome list :bow Thankyou.

G8xbox of 100 for $30 yummy were from.

I went to the local harware store, (Rona), and asked them to order a box. The company sent a box of G5's by mistake, so I got the G8's for the price of G5's, a deal at $30 for 100. The original price for the G8's was only $36 though.

That price is Canadian, I shouldn't matter what branch you go to, just ask if they'll order you a box of G8's, they'll direct you to the person to talk to.

also, u can buy in bulk with another bender and save more money, that way as well.